jross

Medal Round Discussion

So what're the final thoughts on Deakin?.  Personally I don't think he did enough wrestling to be prepared for the NCAA tournament. 

He LOOKS like he must be cutting a gigantic amount.

I have to wonder if that caught up to him. Weren’t they on 1hr weigh ins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

He LOOKS like he must be cutting a gigantic amount.

I have to wonder if that caught up to him. Weren’t they on 1hr weigh ins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's 70kg / 154.3 in freestyle so that really doesn't bode well for his senior career if that's the case

9 minutes ago, jbai3_12 said:

So what're the final thoughts on Deakin?.  Personally I don't think he did enough wrestling to be prepared for the NCAA tournament. 

I am a big fan of his. Ex-NU wrestler been watching him since he got to school. Can't figure him, but after his first two matches I had no confidence in him winning. I mean he had a chance for bonus in his first and didn't try for it. Then he struggled against the Stanford kid and nearly lost to Franek. Gets stuck by Della. Did not look like the same guy from the last 2 years (or 2 weeks ago) at all. Now he crushes Lee like that same guy. Something in the mind I think.

Edited by Major Kong

Just now, uncle bernard said:

Regarding the handshakes, they were told all year not to shake hands. I guess they made it optional for the tournament, but in the heat of battle, a lot of guys are just going with the muscle memory from all year I bet. I've seen winners and losers both do it. 

I still think it's a crazy rule or non-rule. You are breathing in each other's face for 7 minutes and you are worried about a handshake? The no handraise rule is pretty nuts, too, but at least that one arguably protects the refs.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Regarding the handshakes, they were told all year not to shake hands. I guess they made it optional for the tournament, but in the heat of battle, a lot of guys are just going with the muscle memory from all year I bet. I've seen winners and losers both do it. 

The whole not shaking hands thing is absurd. They roll around the mat for 7 minutes but touching palms for a split second following the match is an issue? 

1 minute ago, Major Kong said:

I am a big fan of his. Ex-NU wrestler been watching him since he got to school. Can't figure him, but after his first two matches I had no confidence in him winning. I mean he had a chance for bonus in his first and didn't try for it. Then he struggled against the Stanford kid and nearly lost to Franek. Gets stuck by Della. Did not look like the same guy from the last 2 years (or 2 weeks ago) at all. Now he crushes Lee like that same guy. Something in the mind I think.

I agree, Peak Deakin vs Peak Carr is a match I want to see though!  Also, I'd love to see him at 165 as well.  

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Rivera literally just walked off and didn't even raise his hand. Just walked straight into the tunnel and didn't even high five his coaches. He was pissed, and understandably so after not being on TV tonight.

Edited by bnwtwg

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Feels like a betrayal that a jacked rutgers wrestler with a tan, high skin fade, and chinstrap beard is polish instead of italian. What kind of garbage are they trying to pull there?

All Rutgers guys are Italian. Pay no attention to the names.

1 minute ago, Class said:

Warner's riding is a good summary of the biggest problem with folkstyle.  He rides solely for time.

Something needs to change with the riding just for time.  Also, lets have a pushout point like freestyle. 

Warner has now done pure stalling in the 3rd after a pure stall ride for 2 minutes in the 2nd and stalling will not be a factor.

The exact same scenario in his match with Buchanan last night.  He should have surrendered multiple stall points.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Warner is seeded to win, but Woodley has beaten him the last 2 times they've wrestled. Let's see if he can reverse that result 

Warner wins, in peak Warner fashion. No committed leg attacks and deservedly called for stalling

Edited by Mr. Poopy butthole