Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is this really the best ESPN can come up with? You could make each view 4 times larger lol. Wish they had the old view where you could just select 4 mats and have one in each corner and fill the whole screen. Or at least fill the screen with this multi view 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that display is garbage and it's ridiculous that ESPN3's "upgrade" killed the multi view feature.  However, if you have access to an Apple product or Xbox you can still use the multi view feature on that device's ESPN app.  I'm using an xbox and you can either do a 2 split, 1 larger screen with 2 or 3 smaller screens to the side or the quad view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some weak stuff by ESPN this week.  For instance missing Eierman's pin live last night in a semifinal match for a worthless graphic.  And then a little bit ago making a big production out of showing a replay of the Desanto lecture but they named the wrong Brands.  Also even the bit about John Smith and the Ferrari headgear would have been more relevant last night when it happened rather than today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Yes, that display is garbage and it's ridiculous that ESPN3's "upgrade" killed the multi view feature.  However, if you have access to an Apple product or Xbox you can still use the multi view feature on that device's ESPN app.  I'm using an xbox and you can either do a 2 split, 1 larger screen with 2 or 3 smaller screens to the side or the quad view.

I did not see any option for the split screen or quad view on the ESPN app on my iPad or on my Apple TV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drag it said:

Some weak stuff by ESPN this week.  For instance missing Eierman's pin live last night in a semifinal match for a worthless graphic.  And then a little bit ago making a big production out of showing a replay of the Desanto lecture but they named the wrong Brands.  Also even the bit about John Smith and the Ferrari headgear would have been more relevant last night when it happened rather than today.

And their advertising of the HWT semis "if you are a B10 fan you'll want to watch this,"  first they weren't all b10 wrestlers, second if you are a wrestling fan you wanted to watch.  Why would they say it that way regarding any conf whilst broadcasting an NCAA championship event?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I did not see any option for the split screen or quad view on the ESPN app on my iPad or on my Apple TV?

Idk how it works, I'm going by old Apple's & ESPN's press releases, they were highlighting it as a new feature.  

Here is an article about it, circa 2018.  Maybe they killed the feature?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/09/hands-on-espn-multicast-on-apple-tv-lets-you-view-up-to-four-live-sports-streams-video/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Idk how it works, I'm going by old Apple's & ESPN's press releases, they were highlighting it as a new feature.  

Here is an article about it, circa 2018.  Maybe they killed the feature?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/09/hands-on-espn-multicast-on-apple-tv-lets-you-view-up-to-four-live-sports-streams-video/

Thanks... looks like it probably doesn’t work because my Apple TV is too old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChicagoHawk said:

Why could they not put the clock in multi view ?   Annoying to not know how much time is left in a period or if riding time is a factor.   I abandoned the multi view Thursday and used multiple devices.   

Clock and riding tine... is it that hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can follow 8 matches without a clock more power to you.  I just used a few devices and solved that.  Other than that the coverage is great.    Remember the days they only covered the finals ?   With commercials ?    This is exponentially superior coverage to just a few years back.... not to mention the easy ability to re watch bouts.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,

ESPN had massive layoffs during the pandemic. The production crew staff is almost entirely new. Definitely not the full crew they'd had in the past. They've piped us in for their feed to fill it out on the multi view. It's the arena feed. Just something to keep in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Guys,

ESPN had massive layoffs during the pandemic. The production crew staff is almost entirely new. Definitely not the full crew they'd had in the past. They've piped us in for their feed to fill it out on the multi view. It's the arena feed. Just something to keep in mind. 

I get that. The tech stuff like that is hard if you don't have years of experience. It was frustrating but understandable.

But rule 1 of live sports is don't miss live action. 

In this case they had the semis on live and the program has been designed for them to get a lengthy commercial break between each weight (anyone who has sat through this in person knows how long), which means they are not supposed to cut away.  But then because someone had put together a graphic the director decided that was more important than wrestling and they missed the fireworks in a match that had fireworks written all over it.  In fact, Eierman had just told his corner not to challenge what looked like a takedown, it was obvious he thought he had Wilson set up for a big move. And, bam, he hit it.  And we got to see some numbers on a screen instead.

Also, it wasn't the IT rookies who went out of their way to call Terry Brands Tom after Desanto.  I got that they're twins, but the announcers and directors chose to queue up the clip and highlight it, so it would be nice to get it right. Plus the difference between the Brands is one of the subtleties that makes every day at a tourney interesting.  For instance in that case the intensity was a very Terry thing, which was the whole point.  

And there's been a lot of that.  Plus Quint Kessenich.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've known Tom and Terry for almost 20 years. I STILL can't tell them apart, unless they're next to each other and Terry is rocking in the chair or Terry mentions liking my karaoke. That's not one I'm going to raise an eyebrow about. I obviously don't see what you guys see but not sure I can really criticize that harshly for confusing twins, esp. when most of the sport can't tell them apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Is this really the best ESPN can come up with? You could make each view 4 times larger lol. Wish they had the old view where you could just select 4 mats and have one in each corner and fill the whole screen. Or at least fill the screen with this multi view 

 

image.jpeg

Agree. It’s absolutely horrible. I’d also like the possibility to just maximize one of the matches while watching.

It’s even worse when watching afterwards and I need to leave, go back whatever mat I want and then fast forward to the match I want - but not fast forward too far as that’d of course spoil the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Took my 60" Smart TV, did three browser tabs, positioned the mats the way I want, and it's all good. 
 
I did similar on my computer. With two monitors I could open windows with all eight mats if I wanted, but usually had the multiview on one monitor and 4 mats I wanted to follow on the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...