TBar1977

O Toole to Iowa?

3 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Missouri invested 4 years (RS + 3)

To be fair, Mizzou got its money's worth, though. Eierman delivered every one of those four years (even during redshirt, he brought a unique style to the room). I don't mind that he bailed as much as his comments during the bailing. Really didn't do Mizzou or his coaches and team mates any favors on the way out. It wasn't downright unprofessional as much as lacking class.

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I don't mind that he bailed as much as his comments during the bailing. Really didn't do Mizzou or his coaches and team mates any favors on the way out. It wasn't downright unprofessional as much as lacking class.

This

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

To be fair, Mizzou got its money's worth, though. Eierman delivered every one of those four years (even during redshirt, he brought a unique style to the room). I don't mind that he bailed as much as his comments during the bailing. Really didn't do Mizzou or his coaches and team mates any favors on the way out. It wasn't downright unprofessional as much as lacking class.

What did he say? In the video I saw about it, he just said he grew up dreaming of wrestling for Iowa and this was his chance to make that dream come true.

What did he say? In the video I saw about it, he just said he grew up dreaming of wrestling for Iowa and this was his chance to make that dream come true.
What I saw he came back from a disappointing overseas trip and said he needed to leave Mizzou. Not flat out saying it, but implying that they were at fault for him not developing further. He's certainly got some better training partners at Iowa, especially even it comes to freestyle, but Mizzou has a pretty good track record of developing guys. He's even an example of that. And he would have still been one of the top two guys this year if he stayed. I'll still be rooting for him to become the first guy (and oddly only ever) to go 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 if he returns next season like most believe he will.

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I forget exactly how he said it, but the gist of it was that the environment (training partners, coaches, etc.) was not conducive to more success for him. I mean, the program produced J'Den Cox and Ben Askren, two Olympians, but it wasn't good enough for Eierman. OK.

I have no problem with him wanting to go to an even better environment. Anyone who wants that should be able to go for it. But give some due credit FFS.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I forget exactly how he said it, but the gist of it was that the environment (training partners, coaches, etc.) was not conducive to more success for him. I mean, the program produced J'Den Cox and Ben Askren, two Olympians, but it wasn't good enough for Eierman. OK.

I think he was talking about the RTC, which Mizzou doesn't have. You mention Cox, but J'Den also left for better freestyle training almost immediately. Not every program has the resources to pay guys. I think he knew he was leaving post-graduation and when he saw an opportunity to finish at Iowa he thought "why wait?" I've never gotten the sense he was unappreciative.

Just now, uncle bernard said:

I think he was talking about the RTC, which Mizzou doesn't have. You mention Cox, but J'Den also left for better freestyle training almost immediately. Not every program has the resources to pay guys. I think he knew he was leaving post-graduation and when he saw an opportunity to finish at Iowa he thought "why wait?" I've never gotten the sense he was unappreciative.

You have to have listened to what he said (he gave an interview, on Flo maybe?) before you say that last comment. He came off as unappreciative. Tim Dernlan even did a whole show about it in his podcast with Ben Askren and I agreed with everything he said on it. 

Cox left for better training after his Olympic medal. Eierman would self-castrate just to get on a team. Two of college wrestling's best ever had much more success than Eierman even in college, forgetting about the senior world level, so maybe it's not the program like Eierman made it seem. I am well aware that Mizzou isn't a world gold medal factory. Fine by me if you want to go to one. But leave with a little grace and appreciation for what they did for you.

36 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You have to have listened to what he said (he gave an interview, on Flo maybe?) before you say that last comment. He came off as unappreciative. Tim Dernlan even did a whole show about it in his podcast with Ben Askren and I agreed with everything he said on it. 

Cox left for better training after his Olympic medal. Eierman would self-castrate just to get on a team. Two of college wrestling's best ever had much more success than Eierman even in college, forgetting about the senior world level, so maybe it's not the program like Eierman made it seem. I am well aware that Mizzou isn't a world gold medal factory. Fine by me if you want to go to one. But leave with a little grace and appreciation for what they did for you.

I’m pretty sure from what I’ve seen on things like the Askren documentary and seeing a slightly more..  unfiltered Mike Eierman at a camp.. it wouldn’t shock me at all if Jayden didn’t associate 90% of the success of Askren and Cox to his dad.. 

I don’t  think that’s correct but it’s not a stretch to see Jaydin seeing it that way.

Edited by jp157
Grammar

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I have no problem with him wanting to go to an even better environment. Anyone who wants that should be able to go for it. But give some due credit FFS.

In 2019, Eierman placed 3rd behind McKenna and Yianni. Lee placed 5th. This year, without McKenna and Yianni in the bracket, Eierman placed 2nd and Lee 1st. I'd argue that Eierman regressed and Lee greatly improved. Maybe Eierman should've transferred to Penn St instead.