MSU158

Who takes 2nd? PSU or OkState?

PSU is up by 2 points and has 4 in the Finals, OkState has 2.

Fix is favored over RBY
Eierman is favored over Lee
Kemerer is favored over Starocci
Brooks is favored over Hidlay
Ferrari s favored over Bonnacorsi

if it goes that way OkState would win by 2 if no bonus is scored. If Brooks were to win by Fall, with no other bonuses, they would tie.

Would OkState taking 2nd over PSU be a meltdown on PSU’s part considering OkState just tied lowly Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago???

24 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Do these totals include second-place points for all the finalists?

Already added in.  Winners tonight get the difference between first and second places (four points).  Losers get nothing more.

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Already added in.  Winners tonight get the difference between first and second places (four points).  Losers get nothing more.

In that case OSU has a chance: They should get 8 more. PSU is likely to get 4, but could get 16. None of their finalist winning would be a shock.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

PSU is up by 2 points and has 4 in the Finals, OkState has 2.

Fix is favored over RBY
Eierman is favored over Lee
Kemerer is favored over Starocci
Brooks is favored over Hidlay
Ferrari s favored over Bonnacorsi

if it goes that way OkState would win by 2 if no bonus is scored. If Brooks were to win by Fall, with no other bonuses, they would tie.

Would OkState taking 2nd over PSU be a meltdown on PSU’s part considering OkState just tied lowly Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago???

Other than Iowa this year, every team would like to suffer a meltdown with 5 freshmen competing at NCAAs.

Edited by PSUSMC

26 minutes ago, Force118 said:

Everyone on the PSU team wrestled at or above seed so don’t see how that could be considered a meltdown. More that OkSt. wrestled their a** off.

You are missing what I said. The question was about OSU and PSU. P SU lost a wrestler to injury which resulted in an OSU wrestler getting a walkover. Then another OSU wrestler got a walkover. 

PSU never melted down. They actually wrestled well.

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You are missing what I said. The question was about OSU and PSU. P SU lost a wrestler to injury which resulted in an OSU wrestler getting a walkover. Then another OSU wrestler got a walkover. 

PSU never melted down. They actually wrestled well.

I think you can’t help but be disappointed by the performance of Howard, Beard, Joe Lee, and Kerk.  Sure, they outperformed their seeds, but these guys were super elite recruits. These are the type of guys that Cael has had immediately contend in past years.  Their performance overall this year has been disappointing. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think you can’t help but be disappointed by the performance of Howard, Beard, Joe Lee, and Kerk.  Sure, they outperformed their seeds, but these guys were super elite recruits. These are the type of guys that Cael has had immediately contend in past years.  Their performance overall this year has been disappointing. 

You have a point but can you please do yourself a favor and take Joe Lee out of your super elite recruit list

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Howard was coming off injury. Look at his Ls this tourney. Pretty high finishes from the two guys he lost to. 

Kerk literally just off the DL.

Beard still struggling with stamina.

Joe Lee your guess as good as mine.

We also never saw Bartlett. I think his SV loss to Yayha looks a lot better today.

Edited by TBar1977

Considering Kerk a let down is reasonable I think. I think top five is a very reasonable expectation for him. I think the rest of those guys were true wild cards in terms of impacting the scoreboard....don’t get your expectations to high, but it’d be nice to get some points out of them. 

As far as the team no meltdown at all if they finish third, even if they go 0-4 in the finals. Only one of them is ‘expected’ to win, and it’s his first NCAA tournament. 

21 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

In a full season you have a point. But that was not the case. Howard was coming off an operation, and obviously needs some muscle. Ditto Kerk re a recent operation. This was Iowa's year and Ok State has a good solid team. Hopefully next year all teams get their men 20 + matches prior to the NCAA's. Well done Iowa!

PSU wrestled fine. 

As mentioned OkST benefited from a couple med ffts in the wrestlebacks. They(lewallen) also benefited from the worst refereeing decision of the tournament. They wrestled well, but were gifted a decent amount of points.

15 minutes ago, simple said:

PSU wrestled fine. 

As mentioned OkST benefited from a couple med ffts in the wrestlebacks. They(lewallen) also benefited from the worst refereeing decision of the tournament. They wrestled well, but were gifted a decent amount of points.

This is a dumb take.  OSU caught brakes but that didn't make their tournament.  

Wittlake got the forfeit but if Lewis is healthy he wins his quarter and Wittlake is wrestling Hartman in that match and finishing in the exact same place he finished.  

Sheets was fortunate because he was unlikely to beat Berge.  But he was unlikely to beat anyone in this tournament and put himself in the blood round to benefit from the fortune.  

Lewallen got a completely undeserved 2nd chance against Heil.  If he doesn't, then he drops into the consolation and his path to AA is super easy.  His toughest match on the way to 4th is probably Parco who he ended up wrestling anyways (and beating 8-0).  He may score more with bonus in the consolation bracket.  

You are just making stuff up when you pretend they were gifted stuff and that's why they are where they are.  They wrestled a great tournament after a bad season and that is why they are where they are.  It isn't about gifts and officiating.  

You can call it dumb and deny it all you want. They’re facts. Even if they finish in the same spots they got free bonus bc of it. 

Lmao what did I make up? Everything I said was an objective fact. Maybe you’re just a moron

Edited by simple

Just now, simple said:

You can call it dumb and deny it all you want. They’re facts. Even if they finish in the same spots they got free bonus bc of it

You can whine all you want and it doesn't change facts.  They earned every point.  Lucky is not gifted.  They are in those spots because they earned their way there.  By the round of 12 and later there are large amounts of injury defaults.  If you're still standing and you made it that far, it's no gift when it happens for you.

Who’s whining? I literally said they wrestled well. I’m a fan of Okst. You really are a delusional moron. Nothing you say changes the facts that those are gifts. Just because they’re not uncommon doesn’t change the fact that they’re gifts. Some years they work against you. This year they benefited from it. 

4 minutes ago, simple said:

Who’s whining? I literally said they wrestled well. I’m a fan of Okst. You really are a delusional moron. Nothing you say changes the facts that those are gifts. Just because they’re not uncommon doesn’t change the fact that they’re gifts. Some years they work against you. This year they benefited from it. 

Keep whining about gifts for guys on day 2 and 3 of the NCAA wrestling tournament.  

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

He was the 10th ranked recruit in his class.

That ranking was terrible.  I never heard anyone comment that he was an elite recruit.  Everyone knew he had huge holes in his game and projected a mid AA wrestler.