cjc007

Desanto sanctioned

I'm guessing the first name thing is used for simplicity in the program due to there being two Coach Brands.  
He really screwed up again.  Damn.  

PSU guys do the same with their coaches. But it’s “Coach Casey”, not “Casey”.

Now, the second part: not acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

Could that have been grounds to eject him AND take his placement and points?

Interesting question. Was discussing this about a kid at one of the PIAA Supers a couple weeks ago. HS rules are more requiring of a bout referee seeing the situation than college (Mark Smith after semis with Catrabone). I suspect he could be ejected per se but whether it would involve placement points since he didn't have any more matches is questionable. I don't think there were any tournament officials there to witness. 

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Interesting question. Was discussing this about a kid at one of the PIAA Supers a couple weeks ago. HS rules are more requiring of a bout referee seeing the situation than college (Mark Smith after semis with Catrabone). I suspect he could be ejected per se but whether it would involve placement points since he didn't have any more matches is questionable. I don't think there were any tournament officials there to witness. 

Really? Hyperbole... but what if a wrestler physically attacked a worker or did something absolutely insane like stabbing stabbed a worker, but no official witnesses it? They wouldn’t lose their team points?

If it’s true, telling a female that’s just doing her job that you’ll kill her is egregious as hell. If true, he should never wrestle another NCAA match. If it were a job, he’d be fired immediately. It’s potentially a criminal threat. 

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

PSU guys do the same with their coaches. But it’s “Coach Casey”, not “Casey”.

Now, the second part: not acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My recollection is that others in the Iowa program use first names, too.  I don't have a problem with it.  PSU does it their way, Iowa does it theirs.  

That and other different ways of doing things don't have to be jammed through the prisms of the two camps' fans' endless wars with each other. 

The use of first names for the coaches isn't what caused ADS to act inappropriately today.  If PSU required their guys to call the coaches Mr. Coach Sanderson, Sir, it wouldn't have prevented Ruth's DUI or Long's jail term either.  

It's an interesting question.  If an offense is egregious enough to merit ejection from the event or from podium then perhaps his placement and points should be sanctioned as well?  I do not know the rules.

9 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

It's an interesting question.  If an offense is egregious enough to merit ejection from the event or from podium then perhaps his placement and points should be sanctioned as well?  I do not know the rules.

Self-imposed by Iowa though, so I don't think it matters since the NCAA wasn't interested enough in the incident to do anything about it.

Just now, simple said:

Really? Hyperbole... but what if a wrestler physically attacked a worker or did something absolutely insane like stabbing stabbed a worker, but no official witnesses it? They wouldn’t lose their team points?

If it’s true, telling a female that’s just doing her job that you’ll kill her is egregious as hell. If true, he should never wrestle another NCAA match. If it were a job, he’d be fired immediately. It’s potentially a criminal threat. 

I agree with your sentiment and I imagine the NCAA could after the fact make a ruling. I'm only saying that since no official witnessed there's no one to rule on team points at this point. It could definitely be a legal situation. The discussion I had about the kid at PIAAs was that the arena/school people who did see this kid's actions (which were before his last bout) could kick him out of the facility in which case he would forfeit his last match which could then lead to losing previous points. DeSanto had no more matches to forfeit from in this case so throwing him out of the building might not have any immediate team score consequences. It could certainly be considered flagrant misconduct if seen by an official. I'm having trouble seeing the rule as written earlier (after Mark Smith) right now so it may be back to only referee calling it. 

I think no official should be barking orders at an athlete after they've just stepped off the mat from a finals performance.  I doubt Spencer Lee wanted to reveal his ACL tears either.  Adrenaline affects your filter on your language in the immediate aftermath of a match.   We all know this

Just now, flyingcement said:

I think no official should be barking orders at an athlete after they've just stepped off the mat from a finals performance.  I doubt Spencer Lee wanted to reveal his ACL tears either.  Adrenaline affects your filter on your language in the immediate aftermath of a match.   We all know this

Well it was certainly a standard practice from my view this weekend and the other 329 competitors didn’t threaten with death.

No idea if she barked anything but I always was opposed to these immediate interviews. Technically, AJ probably shouldn't have done what he did but you should always be able to go up and hug your mother/father. And you should have a chance to calm down after. I think most of the interviews aren't that interesting How do you feel? What does this mean to you?.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

No idea if she barked anything but I always was opposed to these immediate interviews. Technically, AJ probably shouldn't have done what he did but you should always be able to go up and hug your mother/father. And you should have a chance to calm down after. I think most of the interviews aren't that interesting How do you feel? What does this mean to you?.

Yeah the more polished guys like a David Carr who seems naturally a nice guy and has his dad to help guide him through this specific thing - he seems so natural in the interviews afterwards.  DeSanto and others are not that guy.  I would rather set a delay on the interviews - allow these guys to embrace their family and teammates.  And then get a more calm and collected interview 

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I agree.

Motioning direction with their arms, etc. is always a good choice. Officials can sometimes get 'barky' when it isn't appropriate. They've also been known to say inappropriate (especially condescending) things. You never know - that official may well be sanctioned before this is over, too.

Pretty much everyone agrees they should get time to cool down before interviews or whatever. That’s not an excuse. What kind of person responds to someone trying to do their harmless job by saying you’ll kill them? I hope that type of person never has a significant other.

just ew at everyone even entertaining the thought of it being justified because someone hypothetically might have “barked orders”. 

Edited by simple

7 minutes ago, simple said:

Pretty much everyone agrees they should get time to cool down before interviews or whatever. That’s not an excuse. What kind of person responds to someone trying to do their harmless job by saying you’ll kill them? I hope that type of person never has a significant other.

just ew at everyone even entertaining the thought of it being justified because someone hypothetically might have “barked orders”. 

Sorry if you have a weak stomach (ew?) but the outrage is stemming from those alleging abuse from a comment made immediately after a match which you personally cannot confirm.  You can't hear the conversation between them there.  So that is also speculation.  Unless you believe guilty until proven innocent, I don't understand how random internet people are being triggered by this.  

Edited by flyingcement

Sorry if you have a weak stomach (ew?) but the outrage is stemming from those alleging abuse from a comment made immediately after a match which you personally cannot confirm.  You can't hear the conversation between them their.  So that is also speculation.  Unless you believe guilty until proven innocent, I don't understand how random internet people are being triggered by this.  

But there is almost certainly fire from this smoke because IA did something unprecedented and excluded him from the night session and released a statement which included a quote that I can assure you was either written for, or spoken for Austin.  Clearly it was significant.

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Sorry if you have a weak stomach (ew?) but the outrage is stemming from those alleging abuse from a comment made immediately after a match which you personally cannot confirm.  You can't hear the conversation between them there.  So that is also speculation.  Unless you believe guilty until proven innocent, I don't understand how random internet people are being triggered by this.  

“I don’t understand how people are being triggered by this(a man possibly threatening to kill a woman)”

oh okay. Gross

Just now, Class said:

But there is almost certainly fire from this smoke because IA did something unprecedented and excluded him from the night session and released a statement which included a quote that I can assure you was either written for, or spoken for Austin.  Clearly it was significant.

This could be a weak way for Tom Brands to move on from what he sees as Terry's pet project - too much emotional drama - and focus on Draka Ayala.  I don't trust it coming from Iowa's perspective.  I would give the benefit of the doubt to the person vs institution, even if it's DeSanto.