cjc007

Desanto sanctioned

3 minutes ago, drag it said:

Correct.  Nothing justifies threatening to kill someone.  Appreciate the insight on that, although we have exactly the same certainty that that happened as we do that Marinelli broke his rib.  What we do know is what I also said, which I'll paste again here:

• Regardless, though:  The wrestler appears to have said something unacceptable under any circumstances to an employee of the organization putting on the tournament. 
  • The press release and punishment demonstrate that.
  • DeSanto appears to have made both wrestling and maturity strides since his freshman year.
  • He needs to mature more.

Sorry for the equivocal language about his conduct being "unacceptable under any circumstances" as demonstrated by his "punishment"; and him "needing to mature more."  

If the NCAA employee had done something particularly wrong, she would have been sanctioned, just as DeSanto was.  She didn't and shouldn't be, and I didn't say she did or should be; compare my descriptions of their conduct, which are nothing alike.  

That doesn't mean that there is a problem with observing that it's probably not bad policy for the NCAA -- which celebrates and makes a lot of money off of the extreme and painful nature of the sport generally and the gauntlet of the tournament that it puts on specifically -- to observe that a wrestler immediately emerging from that gauntlet, specifically his sixth time through seven minutes of combat in three days, should be allowed to finish shaking hands with his coach, walk away from the mat, and take a drink of water before being given instructions on where to go and what to do by a stranger.  Two things can be true at once.  Those two things can include both a relatively minor matter of policy that it would be in the interest of both the tournament's organizers and participants to correct, and what we know to have been a much more serious breach of what we (and Tom Brands) view as appropriate conduct.  

What makes you think that Desanto has made strides? If he actually threatened to kill a random NCAA employee, that's probably worse than any of his post whistle antics he did while at Drexel or the throat slash directed at an opposing team.

I think it's true that he definitely has made strides as a wrestler, so he's much less likely to lose and have one of his tantrums.

Edited by Billyhoyle

8 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Ok. Remove the fact that he threatened a woman from the equation. Replace with “threatened an NCAA media employee”.
Is that OK?

Threatened the life of an employee? That's not OK.

This incident is certainly worthy of follow up and, as appropriate, potentially more severe punishment than what Iowa has handed out thus far.

3 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Threatened the life of an employee? That's not OK.

This incident is certainly worthy of follow up and, as appropriate, potentially more severe punishment than what Iowa has handed out thus far.

I think the Iowa punishment was really the only thing they could do.  I hope the NCAA investigates and takes appropriate action.

8 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

What makes you think that Desanto has made strides? If he actually threatened to kill a random NCAA employee, that's probably worse than any of his post whistle antics he did while at Drexel or the throat slash directed at an opposing team.

I think it's true that he definitely has made strides as a wrestler, so he's much less likely to lose and have one of his tantrums.

The last point is the salient one. 

That said, losing your temper and saying something, even if it's the unthinkable, is worse than physically trying to maim someone using illegal holds? I realize we're going very, very low in this comparison, but the two are not the same. I suppose we will never find out what he said, but it seems to me the public shaming is the appropriate level of punishment for a verbal transgression in a public setting (i.e. he couldn't have literally killed anyone unless he was packing heat under his singlet....). 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 minute ago, simple said:

Yes I’m simping so all the females on themat.com will like me. Great argument.

Since you seem to be truly.. simple. Either by personal choice.. or circumstances of birth, genetics, and upbringing that are no fault of your own.. I shall attempt to clarify.. 

I was explaining how you... come across.... And how unproductive, useless and... passé your behavior is. In addition to how ultimately insincere it ends up coming across.. Especially your jumping to “state”, not accuse, that people MUST be abusers for the lil they have said. 

I would attempt to clarify more but I want to keep this simple. You either read it, understood and got mad I read you and tried to redirect what I actually said. Or.. you’re stupid. While normally I’d apply Occam’s razor but one must be kind to the simple

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The last point is the salient one. 

That said, physically trying to maim someone using illegal holds is worse than losing your temper and saying something, even if it's the unthinkable? I realize we're going very, very low in this comparison, but the two are not the same. I suppose we will never find out what he said, but it seems to me the public shaming is the appropriate level of punishment for a verbal transgression in a public setting (i.e. he couldn't have literally killed anyone unless he was packing heat under his single....). 

I can definitely see the view that the in match antics are worse, but guys like Dave/Mark Schultz have done similar in terms of purposefully using illegal chokes/holds to inflict violence and are loved. Lots of guys have done illegal slams. Simmons would choke people all the time.  Wresting is a violent sport... Desanto obviously was a step beyond all these examples in the frequency/egregiousness with which he would do it, but his actions were not unheard of and were arguably within the heat of competition.

Threatening to kill a random NCAA employee after a match is truly nuts though.  So by worse I only mean in terms of his progress mentally/maturity wise.  It's an action that if true indicates  he has become less stable.  

The preponderance of evidence will prevail here and now, no matter the opinion of the masses. Clear and convincing, nope, beyond a reasonable doubt, certainly not. Relevant entities in power will evaluate this with the evidence they have, a neutral stance from their position, and a ruling will be made one way or another. Best positions will be made based on how much money can be saved/lost, given the party in question. 

Telling someone you will/could kill them, even in jest, is not something that should happen in 2021. Regardless of what the staffer did, this is not an acceptable response. Better DeSanto learn this now, with athletic sanctions than in the “real world” where he could end up in jail or worse. 

So just so I’m clear, there’s a number of ‘sources’ saying this was due to behavior toward a media official, only one of those ‘sources’ saying it was some sort of threaten to kill? 

just trying to keep score here.