BTC

Iowa won the title but Penn St won the day

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Would you rather win the title and have a champ or come second and have four? I thought fir sure the former, but watching this, I’ll take the latter. Absolutely unbelievable job by PSU coaches. Hat off to them. This is more impressive than the other time they had four during Hall’a freshman year. 

They had 5 that year. Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Hall and Nickal 

Spencer Lee seemed annoyed today which was new. Could not tell if he was irritated with Brands for that phony hat thing that seemed purely to look good on tv. Also could be because he was sacrificed for an Iowa team title and his Olympic dreams took a hit at least for this cycle. Either way it sucks to see him not chipper and healthy. 

Personally I would've rather seen him at the trails during a redshirt than having that 3rd title, but that's only because I think he'd medal. 

I've never seen a team title win like this, Iowa seems very unwell despite the success.

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Warner and Cassioppi had a solid tournaments. 

BUT.... Spencer has no ACLs.  I didn't see his usual smile on his face, either. DeSanto does not seem happy. Eierman looked crushed walking off the mat after his finals match. Murin was eliminated after two close losses. Young earned All American honors, which is a tremendous achievement.  But he also got beat by two Big Ten athletes who placed below him at Big Tens.  That has to be frustrating. Something happened with Marinelli and he defaulted out of the tournament. I hope he gets healthy soon.  Kemerer suffered a tough loss in OT. Brands seemed surprised by Kane.

I have to imagine that, as a group, the Nits -- nearly half of whom were sauntering about handing out hugs and wearing gold around their necks -- are a lot happier.

The Stanford guys were all dressed in black w/o logo's or lettering - including coaches. Their wrestling team placed in the top 20'ish, and most of their guys were smiling. Oh, and they don't have a wrestling team anymore.

It's all relative.

28 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

This year's team photo and the photo from 2009 are very different. Even Eierman seems to be enjoying himself in the team photos.

They also don't seem to have turned their back on Marinelli nor is there a cast on his hand so he didn't give up or punch a wall to end his season.

This.  PSU had a great tournament and even better night tonight, but for some reason I was one of the few people here that pretty much saw that coming and I’m not even a PSU fan.

But Iowa had a pretty good tournament too.   Lee won.   DeSanto (whatever happened to get him banned from tonight notwithstanding), Warner and Cassioppi all outplaced their seeds.  Yes I’m sure Kemerer and Eierman were disappointed but they were still finalists for the first time in their career, and getting 2nd isn’t an underperformance IMO.  I bet Marinelli was hurt, but yes I’m sure he was disappointed with his loss to Griffith but yes it’s true, he had a bad draw.  Murin wrestled to his seed.  Young AA’d.  Other than Marinelli, Brands was really the only one that really underperformed.

Sometimes I think people just look for things to fit whatever narrative they're projecting.

Spencer MAY just be tired? In pain? Emotional after winning it, while overcoming adversity? Overwhelmed? All of the above?

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

Also, Marinelli was celebrating with the team. I saw Murin smiling. Could things have gone better? Sure. But...National Champions.

46 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Penn State fans for the last 9 years: "x championships in y years! We're the best."

March 20, 2021: "Really success is measured by individual titles."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last time I checked I dont speak for all PSU fans. I speak for myself and myself only.

And yes. Success is measured by individual titles. Its a mindset i learned for Dan Gable. Yellow Medal.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

9 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Spencer MAY just be tired? In pain? Emotional after winning it, while overcoming adversity? Overwhelmed? All of the above?

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

I'd imagine he's a little frustrated for possibly missing on an opportunity to wrestle in the Olympic Trials.  That's pure speculation 

Last time I checked I dont speak for all PSU fans. I speak for myself and myself only.

And yes. Success is measured by individual titles. Its a mindset i learned for Dan Gable. Yellow Medal.
Did I quote you in that post? You're not the only one making that claim.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Did I quote you in that post? You're not the only one making that claim.

Yes, but I'm the most recent one to argue it with you. You can pretend that your post wasnt directed towards me but it was. If i was Iowa i would trade the 2009 team title for a Metcalf win. Would have traded the 2011 Team title for a David Taylor win. Individual titles is what this sport is about. The team title has and always will come secondary to individual titles.

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

My favorite team hadn't won a title in 11 years, I feel fine.43771c465c5c805320fe1cbfef499428.jpg

Congrats and glad you were able to travel to STL and see it in person, especially given restricted fan numbers.    Have a beer and enjoy!

Yes, but I'm the most recent one to argue it with you. You can pretend that your post wasnt directed towards me but it was. If i was Iowa i would trade the 2009 team title for a Metcalf win. Would have traded the 2011 Team title for a David Taylor win. Individual titles is what this sport is about. The team title has and always will come secondary to individual titles.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you understood how message boards work. If I wanted to specifically address you, I would have. By quoting you. As I did immediately before the post you're crying about.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you understood how message boards work. If I wanted to specifically address you, I would have. By quoting you. As I did immediately before the post you're crying about.

I'm not crying, I'm extatic that PSU won 4 titles. 3 of which they were not favored to win. Iowa winning that team title was a formality. They were predicted to be so far ahead of the field it was a forgone conclusion that they win. Congrats your team did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do. In the mean time, one of your guys was banned from the finals. Great work guys.. great work. 

I'm not crying, I'm extatic that PSU won 4 titles. 3 of which they were not favored to win. Iowa winning that team title was a formality. They were predicted to be so far ahead of the field it was a forgone conclusion that they win. Congrats your team did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do. In the mean time, one of your guys was banned from the finals. Great work guys.. great work. 
Thanks man. I appreciate your genuine congratulations on my team beating your team in the sports' ultimate competition.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

I’m guessing Starocci’s defense and offense will continue to develop, too.

He has better training partners AND better coaches, particularly at that weight.

Those things are important but the most important is his youth and trajectory.

• 9th grade: 8th at states
  • 10th grade: 2nd at states
  • 11th grade: 1st at states
  • 12th grade: 1st at states
  • RS at PSU: 18-0, Southern Scuffle Champ
  • RFr at PSU: NCAA champ

He moved up in weight classes every year in HS starting from 138. I wonder if he'll stay at 174 next year or be like Nickal, who had a very similar growth spurt throughout HS and also started at 174 at PSU but kept getting bigger.

So final point differential was 15.5 right?

I think the linchpin to my “PSU could win without Iowa collapsing” argument was Beard winning the title, which I knew was a longshot but I don’t think was that crazy in a weight where the 26 seed made the semis.

So if he did that that would’ve been another 12 points or so.   Then they only would’ve needed 4 points between Berge , Kerk and Howard which were definitely feasible (of course Berge’s injury didn’t help).  Yes Marinelli was basically worst case scenario for Iowa, but I think that’s cancelled out by DeSanto, Warner and Cassioppi outplacing their seed where if they had placed a few spots lower it wouldn’t have been a “collapse.”

So yes, I think this confirms PSU could have won without Iowa collapsing.  So while PSU had a great tournament, it could’ve been better.  Congrats to Iowa.

Edit: do have to give credit to Tbar for (so far at least) not really saying anything about Iowa, and just saying he was happy with PSU’s performance.

Edited by 1032004

37 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Thanks man. I appreciate your genuine congratulations on my team beating your team in the sports' ultimate competition.

With tonights performance, enjoy your hallow victory.

Gold medals are what matter most. Always have and always will.