BTC

Iowa won the title but Penn St won the day

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

They actually got a bunch of hardware.  Thanks, for your heartfelt congratulations despite the bitter disappointment of your team coming up short.

You wish i was bitter and disappointed. This tournament was one of the most satisfying championships ever!

And the bunch hardward is made of the wrong metal.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

19 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

you both been going at it for awhile ...Have you both taken a second to think that maybe both teams and wrestling as whole won the night? 
I don’t think it helps to grow the sport when penn state wins by 50 points and has 5 of the 10 champions, but with Iowa having the  balance and winning the team title but penn state coming out with 3 upsets and going 4-0 in the finals is a Win-Win for both programs and for NCAA wrestling, only thing that would’ve made it better is if Iowa clinched during the finals

Recruiting wise it’ll help both programs, some kids are going to want to be the next Aaron brooks and some are going to want to be the next Spencer Lee, Those finals aren’t going to change a committed recruit to go Iowa to penn state and that team trophy is going to flip a psu commit to Iowa 

that being said Vak have you ever been apart of a team championship at any level of wrestling ? And if you have did the team win but you lose and not reach your ultimate goal? Bc I was apart of that at 2 different levels of wrestling and it f**king sucks, my team celebrating, going out and having a good time and I was sitting in my dads truck crying by myself ...

so I’d say a guy like joe lee who went 0-2 but then watched his brother and 3 of his friends go all out on Saturday night and win is definitely in a better mood then Eierman or Kem today, considering how much it sucked for a nobody like me on much lower levels , I can’t imagine losing on espn in the D1 ncaa finals then having to take pictures and celebrate the team trophy...I’m sure after time passes they’ll be able to appreciate it but I doubt Eierman, Kem , Marnelli are too happy right now, compared to the young penn state guys who all wrestled over their seeds feel

I have said that both things are true.  Penn State fans have a lot to be happy and excited about, especially going into next season.  But that doesn't change who the team champions were.

I have been a part of a much lower level of this phenomenon, but I was not a high level wrestler.  I took second at that (extremely local) tournament, but my team won.  I was bummed after my personal loss, but very happy that we won the team title.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You wish i was bitter and disappointed. This tournament was one of the most satisfying championships ever!

And the bunch hardward is made of the wrong metal.

Sure buddy.  We all totally believe you are very satisfied with the fictional championship in your personal record book.  I'm sure it will be a best seller.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Moving the goalposts again.

Underperforming is not a collapse.  Yes, Iowa underperformed.  They still had a pretty good tournament overall, if they didn’t then PSU would have won, because yes PSU overperformed, and I never said they didn’t and I think I was one of the few here that basically expected it.

The only result that I was somewhat surprised by was Kemerer losing to Starocci, and even that didn’t really shock me.  Everyone knew Eierman/Lee was a tossup.  Everyone knew Marinelli wasn’t a sure thing against Griffith.   Everyone knew Murin might not place (and he wasn’t really expected to since he was seeded 12th and was coming off an 0-2 performance at Big Tens).   Everyone knew Brands has had some clunkers.   Everyone knew RBY had a good shot against Fix.

It was a great performance by Penn State, no doubt.  But Iowa didn’t collapse.   The fact that PSU had 4 champs and Iowa still won is a testament to that.   Congrats to Iowa, the 2021 team champions.

I’m done.  We knew this conversation was coming and even specifically predicted it.  Again I will give credit to Tbar though because I was expecting a lot of it to be with him and at least he hasn’t jumped in yet.

They got 23% fewer AAs. Thats a collapse.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Moving the goalposts again.

Underperforming is not a collapse.  Yes, Iowa underperformed.  They still had a pretty good tournament overall, if they didn’t then PSU would have won, because yes PSU overperformed, and I never said they didn’t and I think I was one of the few here that basically expected it.

The only result that I was somewhat surprised by was Kemerer losing to Starocci, and even that didn’t really shock me.  Everyone knew Eierman/Lee was a tossup.  Everyone knew Marinelli wasn’t a sure thing against Griffith.   Everyone knew Murin might not place (and he wasn’t really expected to since he was seeded 12th and was coming off an 0-2 performance at Big Tens).   Everyone knew Brands has had some clunkers.   Everyone knew RBY had a good shot against Fix.

It was a great performance by Penn State, no doubt.  But Iowa didn’t collapse.   The fact that PSU had 4 champs and Iowa still won is a testament to that.   Congrats to Iowa, the 2021 team champions.

I’m done.  We knew this conversation was coming and even specifically predicted it.  Again I will give credit to Tbar though because I was expecting a lot of it to be with him and at least he hasn’t jumped in yet.

We all definitely knew this was coming, that's for sure.  I too am impressed by @TBar1977.

I look forward to the competition next year where it should be a close one again.

Wow you must have a crystal ball to predict such a thing.

To see that certain Penn State fans were trying to set up this narrative from before the tournament even started?  No, I just needed to have basic reading comprehension skills.

21 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Themat.com is more of an individual thing with a team component.

The funny thing is you wish PSU fans were sad upset and depressed like Iowa fans have been, and the fact of the matter is theyre not!

In the mean time there is a large number of Iowa fans who deep down inside are not pleased with yesterdays final result. You maybe be happy to win your "paper" title, but that title came with a salty after taste.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

To see that certain Penn State fans were trying to set up this narrative from before the tournament even started?  No, I just needed to have basic reading comprehension skills.

No narrative was set up. Its a fact

Individual titles > team titles

No wrestler joins a college wrestling team with the goal of being a "team" champion over being an individual champion.

Winning the team title is a nice to have. The individual gold is ALWAYS priority numero uno.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The funny thing is you wish PSU fans were sad upset and depressed like Iowa fans have been, and the fact of the matter is theyre not!

In the mean time there is a large number of Iowa fans who deep down inside are not pleased with yesterdays final result. You maybe be happy to win your "paper" title, but that title came with a salty after taste.

Sure thing, buddy.  People often twist themselves into knots to move the goalposts because of how happy they are with their current results.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Sure thing, buddy.  People often twist themselves into knots to move the goalposts because of how happy they are with their current results.

Sure thing, buddy. People often twist themselves into knots to convince themselves theyre happier with a consolation prize (the team title) than the actual prize (the indivudal gold).

No wrestler joins a college wrestling team with the goal of being a "team" champion over being an individual champion.

Winning the team title is a nice to have. The individual gold is ALWAYS priority numero uno.

The fans want the team title, and you are trying to convince fans that its somehow better not to win the team title. Enjoy runner-up status

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Sure thing, buddy. People often twist themselves into knots to convince themselves theyre happier with a consolation prize (the team title) than the actual prize (the indivudal gold).

Goalpost always have and always will be the individual gold. 

Ahhh, the picture of "I'm totally happy with how this played out."

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If only we had some way of determining what was most important to Spencer Lee....

""He said, 'Dad, all I need you to do is support me, because we are not going to lose the team national title because I didn't wrestle,'" Larry Lee told the Register. "He said, 'That will not happen. I'm wrestling.'"

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2021/03/20/ncaa-championships-2021-iowa-wrestling-spencer-lee-hawkeyes-finalist-tom-brands-brandon-courtney/4784565001/

Just now, Drake_Mallard said:

The fans want the team title, and you are trying to convince fans that its somehow better not to win the team title. Enjoy runner-up status

The fans want their favorite wrestlers to win titles. Your trying to convince yourself your happier with Eirman, Kemerer, and Marinelli coming up short.