Sign in to follow this  
scribe

NCAA Grants Dake a 5th year

Brands and Ryan are going to wrestle a 3 minute match-in street clothes- wearing Sperry top-siders- in the seats- with Sandy Stevens officiating.

This match will be held until the end of regular competition.

sponsored by Sperry, Wrangler and Carhartt. :lol:

by scribe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 am

rumors are swirling that Dake is planning to come back for a 5th year.

I heard they were going to keep letting him come back as long as he kept moving up in weight. Could be the first 8 timer! :shock: 141 - HWT Champion.

They granted him one more year to bump up to 184 and beat "the people's Hodge Award" recipient in an attempt to prove that he deserved the Hodge Award in the year that he actually won it by beating the returning Hodge Award recipient and becoming only the 3rd four time NCAA champ in history

They granted him one more year to bump up to 184 and beat "the people's Hodge Award" recipient in an attempt to prove that he deserved the Hodge Award in the year that he actually won it by beating the returning Hodge Award recipient and becoming only the 3rd four time NCAA champ in history

There is no way Dake would beat Ruth, sorry. I think he would beat Perry up at 174 though.

Taylor will handle him next year! in all seriousness I think DT will have a better international career when all is said and done.

-----

"DT will have a better international career"

better than Dake's??

Dake handled DT more decisively in FS than collegiate. What is your basis for thinking that, or am I misinterpreting you?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Dake will give Burroughs all he can handle. I wouldn't bet against Dake by the time the next Olympics rolls around.

Does David Taylor go ahead and move up to 174 to get away from him??

-----

I would hope Taylor wouldn't move away. It's well known that Dake has been lucky...the guy always has the easiest brackets at ncaa. ;)

Does David Taylor go ahead and move up to 174 to get away from him??

Wouldnt Dake be the one to move up another weight class? Taylor wont be calling him out again any time soo

I heard Dake did get the 5th year granted but must transfer to another school in order to capitalize on it. Also as a way to not break any NCAA rules by making money as a wrestler, Dake will transfer to Rutgers and be a Graduate Assistant for the basketball team. They are already used to the whippings Dake has been know to throttle his opponents with.

He could use his 5th year to compete in another sport - No NCAA Grant Necessary - I have seen it happen football to basketball and vice versa - also have seen it happen with an athlete playing golf on his 5th year - was Dake a top perfomer at any other sport.

He could use his 5th year to compete in another sport - No NCAA Grant Necessary - I have seen it happen football to basketball and vice versa - also have seen it happen with an athlete playing golf on his 5th year - was Dake a top perfomer at any other sport.

Pretty sure he lettered in high school track. That's about it.

Didn't Mocco play football at Oklahoma St. one year? I believe there was also a controversial bet regarding this as well. I never did see Hittdog post on here again come to think of it.

Not sure how much playing time but took his fifth year.

I believe there's a loophole in which Dake could get a 5th year of NCAA eligibility as a grad student. I think it would have to be at another academic institution, but he would be able to wrestle right away. Happens in basketball all the time..

"DT will have a better international career"

better than Dake's??

Dake handled DT more decisively in FS than collegiate. What is your basis for thinking that, or am I misinterpreting you?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Dake will give Burroughs all he can handle. I wouldn't bet against Dake by the time the next Olympics rolls around.

I think his basis is that he doesn't care about one freestyle match when both are in college and focusing on folk. To me I just like Taylor's style more for the international freestyle scene than Dake's. Its hard to beat the Russians and Eastern Europeans at their own game and that is what Dake will have to do unless he completely changes his style, ie beat them with positioning, strength, defense, etc. I think its easier far an American to have success having an unusual style or being an offensive dynamo like Taylor rather than beating people with Dake's style. Sort of like how Hazewinkel beats Nick Simmons every time but Simmons is a much bigger threat to medal at Worlds or the Olympics.

Dake needs to worry about beating Andrew Howe before he even thinks about beating Jordan because frankly Howe has give Jordan some of his very best matches since he has been on the freestyle scene and won a period against him at the US trials. Honestly how many people have even won a period against him?

I believe there's a loophole in which Dake could get a 5th year of NCAA eligibility as a grad student. I think it would have to be at another academic institution, but he would be able to wrestle right away. Happens in basketball all the time..

That only applies to the sport you play in when one of the 4 years was a redshirt year in which you didn't participate. IE you redshirt your first year and then compete 3 years. Then when you graduate after your 4th year you can transfer to another school for your redshirt senior year under a clause that states you can do this if your current school doesn't offer the grad progam that you are going into. Its a completely BS rule because hardly any of the people who take advantage of this are actually serious about their grad program, they just pick one that isn't offered at their current school and are basically a free agent to a school of their choice.

I think his basis is that he doesn't care about one freestyle match when both are in college and focusing on folk. To me I just like Taylor's style more for the international freestyle scene than Dake's. Its hard to beat the Russians and Eastern Europeans at their own game and that is what Dake will have to do unless he completely changes his style, ie beat them with positioning, strength, defense, etc. I think its easier far an American to have success having an unusual style or being an offensive dynamo like Taylor rather than beating people with Dake's style. Sort of like how Hazewinkel beats Nick Simmons every time but Simmons is a much bigger threat to medal at Worlds or the Olympics.

Dake needs to worry about beating Andrew Howe before he even thinks about beating Jordan because frankly Howe has give Jordan some of his very best matches since he has been on the freestyle scene and won a period against him at the US trials. Honestly how many people have even won a period against him?

I agree - Dake really needs to improve his positioning, strength and defense - he leaves a lot to be desired in those areas.

Dake's actually a better baseball player than a wrestler (he's a catcher and plays second-base). He had

a couple of offers from scouts his senior year of high school, but his parents insisted on college first. So, although he got lucky and won a few NCAA tiles, I expect he'll make his real mark in the majors. ;)

I agree - Dake really needs to improve his positioning, strength and defense - he leaves a lot to be desired in those areas.

I never said he wasn't great in those areas, it's just that those are the strengths of the majority of other elite European wrestlers who have been wrestling exclusively that style since they were 5. Taylor on the other hand has different, more offensive strengths that should translate to a style less typically found on the elite international wrestling scene. This IMO might lead to more success because his opponents are less used to a style like his and will have a more difficult time in countering it.