Jimmy Cinnabon

Desanto - what happened

19 hours ago, Coach_J said:

I'll regret posting on this thread, but here goes.  Whatever he actually said, Brands and DeSanto himself agreed it was inappropriate and deserving of punishment--should be end of story.  He did something wrong and everyone who matters in the Iowa camp admitted it. What he actually said, that's open to conjecture at this point, but there's no denying it was seriously wrong.  If he said he was going to kill someone, what the hell difference does it make if he didn't mean it literally?  It's not appropriate.  It's not acceptable of a decent person.  It's a d-bag move.  It's something a fifth grader would be punished for.

Talk has been that AD is on the spectrum and, while I don't have clinical records verifying that, his behavior is reminiscent of the many students on the spectrum I've dealt with as a teacher over the years.  The big word when AD left Drexel was that a harsh disciplinarian like Brands would straighten him and his behavior problems out, but year after year we see he's still the same guy he's always been (minus the flying kimura).  If he is on the spectrum, he should be having weekly (if not more frequent) meetings with a counselor/therapist to work with him on his lack of control in certain situations.  If he's not on the spectrum, he's got some major impulse control problems.  Basically, his behavioral problems need more than a wrestling coach to address.

Whatever he said, Brands has not defended him.  Done deal--dude needs some help.

I think this past year, although it was a much more condensed season, DeSanto has shown much improvement.  After this incident, I said 10 steps forward and 2 steps backwards.

Obviously what DeSanto said was wrong and I’m glad he was punished for it. However, just to provide context, we do consistently use that kind of language in the wrestling community and do not take it literally. For example, I hear wrestlers say, “I’m gonna kill this kid” or “He destroyed him” or “beat the sh!t out of him”. Somehow this has become totally acceptable. I think it is hard for someone on the autism spectrum or with a mental illness (as many suspect is the case with AD) to differentiate between these cases. FWIW, I think that language should not be acceptable at anytime, but if we are going to be ok with it in those instances, I don’t think we should throw someone with some kind of mental/emotional issues under the bus for using it immediately after an emotional wrestling match. 

Says a “male” who obviously has no respect for women.  One wonders if you would feel the same way if it had been said to your Mother, Wife or Daughter.  Sadly...probably not!

Okay? I guess saying that a death threat is equally bad toward a man or a woman now equates to "obviously has no respect for women." I'll have to consult the professor of logic at the University of Knowledge to see if that checks out, but just in case, I'll immediately check myself into sensitivity training.

5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I didn't say I knew it was very bad. Obviously, this came from that person there. You can believe that or not. Irrelevant to me what you believe.

First you said it was very bad, now you say you didnt know it was very bad. You also said you dont know what was said, dont want to know what was said, and dont want to know what was said. That sure makes a whole lot of sense!

Finally, I never said I didnt believe you. That was NJDan. 

I haven’t commented on this topic because nobody yet knows exactly what was said or the context of it. Maybe he was pushed around a couple times and in the heat of the moment said “touch me again and I’ll kill you!” Obviously a bad choice of words but not literal intent to kill.

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I haven’t commented on this topic because nobody yet knows exactly what was said or the context of it. Maybe he was pushed around a couple times and in the heat of the moment said “touch me again and I’ll kill you!” Obviously a bad choice of words but not literal intent to kill.

We live in a time where intent has become irrelevant. Words are now taken at face value, especially in a public environment.

3 minutes ago, headshuck said:

This seems to be a video of the interaction.  

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

First you said it was very bad, now you say you didnt know it was very bad. You also said you dont know what was said, dont want to know what was said, and dont want to know what was said. That sure makes a whole lot of sense!

Finally, I never said I didnt believe you. That was NJDan. 

It doesn't make sense because you're twisting my words. I never said I knew what he said or how bad it was. I was simply relaying info from a reliable source which you can believe or not. I also never said you or anyone in particular didn't believe me. I don't care if you believe me or what I relayed, I just felt it was worth a little time to pass the info on.

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

This seems to be a video of the interaction.  

the guy in blue definitely reacts -- you can see it in his eyes -- in a "WTF dude?"  But not sure if Austin said something to him or the woman holding the papers at the beginning of the clip.

29 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It doesn't make sense because you're twisting my words. I never said I knew what he said or how bad it was. I was simply relaying info from a reliable source which you can believe or not. I also never said you or anyone in particular didn't believe me. I don't care if you believe me or what I relayed, I just felt it was worth a little time to pass the info on.

Your exact words:

BTW- I heard from someone there in the know. He did NOT threaten to kill anyone. I didn't ask (or particularly want to know) what he did say. It was very bad but not what was alleged.

I'm twisting your words?

56 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Your exact words:

BTW- I heard from someone there in the know. He did NOT threaten to kill anyone. I didn't ask (or particularly want to know) what he did say. It was very bad but not what was alleged.

I'm twisting your words?

Yes.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Yes.

Quoting you and asking for clarification its twisting your words OK buddy.

Someone here is AWFULLY defensive.

OK so NOT TWISTING YOUR WORDS can you clarify what you mean when you said "BTW- I heard from someone there in the know. He did NOT threaten to kill anyone. I didn't ask (or particularly want to know) what he did say. It was very bad but not what was alleged."

I would like to clarify I AM NOT TWISTING YOUR WORDS. THEY JUST DONT MAKE SENSE BECAUSE IM NOT AS SMART ARE YOU.

24 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Yes.

Since you're obviously confused with your reaction to my post.

You said:  I didnt ask (or particularly want to know) what he did say. = You dont know what Desanto said and dont want to know what he said

You also said: "It was very bad, but not what was alleged."

My question is: HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS VERY BAD IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT HE SAID?

Still confused about my question?

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

the guy in blue definitely reacts -- you can see it in his eyes -- in a "WTF dude?"  But not sure if Austin said something to him or the woman holding the papers at the beginning of the clip.

Or maybe he said something to the woman and then the guy heard and called him on it?  Still all guesses at this point.