BigTenFanboy

Make the Regular Season Matter

So year in year out we hear how the regular season is meaningless and how NCAA'S is all that matters. How about this idea to make the regular season have more importance.

1. Create an objective point system to determine seeding points. Based on reg season record, strength of competition, etc etc.

Then... heres the real kicker.

2. Reshuffle the brackets after each round at NCAAs with the highest seeded wrestler facing the lowest seeded wrestler.

IE.

During round 1 lets say the 32 seed beats the number 1 seed.

During round 2, the number 2 effectively seed becomes the 1 seed and gets paired with the lowest seeded wrestler that won during round 1. The 3 seed becomes 2.. faces the 2nd lowest surviving wrestler... and so forth.

This way the regular season actually impacts not just the seeds for round 1, but through out the entire torunament and the highest seeded surviving wrestler gets to most advantage based on his performance during the regular season.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

So year in year out we hear how the regular season is meaningless and how NCAA'S is all that matters. How about this idea to make the regular season have more importance.  

1. Create an objective point system to determine seeding points. Based on reg season record, strength of competition, etc etc.

Then... heres the real kicker.

2. Reshuffle the brackets after each round at NCAAs with the highest seeded wrestler facing the lowest seeded wrestler.

IE.

During round 1 lets say the 32 seed beats the number 1 seed.

During round 2, the number 2 effectively seed becomes the 1 seed and gets paired with the lowest seeded wrestler that won during round 1. The 3 seed becomes 2.. faces the 2nd lowest surviving wrestler... and so forth.

This way the regular season actually impacts not just the seeds for round 1, but through out the entire torunament and the highest seeded surviving wrestler gets to most advantage based on his performance during the regular season.

Do your homework. #1 already exists. Seeding criteria follows the same logic as the selection criteria. It is converted into a point system that has been detailed on Flo several times. Just accept that this year was an anomaly and move on.

#2 will never happen. It strikes against the theme that the NCAA loves to see in March Madness for hoops.

15072d91aa87e3993e4ffc86eec27dc5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only real/biggest change I would like to see is conference seeding criteria.

Seed the school, not the wrestler.

Michigan would have been considered 4W-2L entering B1Gs.  Oh well if that effects Amine's seed there.  The wrestlers who wrestle(don't duck) should be rewarded, and this is the best way to do it.  I.e. regardless of results, Labs should have been the 1 seed at B1Gs.

1 minute ago, SamStall365247 said:

From a coaching perspective, a reshuffled bracket would be a nightmare to scout/plan for. 

Yeah it'll never happen.

It is a big reason I dislike following the NHL playoffs altogether.

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Do your homework. #1 already exists. Seeding criteria follows the same logic as the selection criteria. It is converted into a point system that has been detailed on Flo several times. Just accept that this year was an anomaly and move on.

#2 will never happen. It strikes against the theme that the NCAA loves to see in March Madness for hoops.

15072d91aa87e3993e4ffc86eec27dc5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive already done my homework. Right now the seeding is not is not 100% purely objective. I did not come up with a full blown mathematical algorithm.

My whole point was emphasis on #2. Reshuffling after each round rewarding the highest seeded surviving wrestlers- thus making the regular season matter.

4 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

From a coaching perspective, a reshuffled bracket would be a nightmare to scout/plan for. 

I agree, but it does give the higher seeded wrestler an advantage throughout the entire tournament, and that advantage comes from the regular season performance.

18 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I agree, but it does give the higher seeded wrestler an advantage throughout the entire tournament, and that advantage comes from the regular season performance.

yes but it also really punishes the low seeds and let's be honest - seeing low seeds make a deep run is fun as hell and less likely if they have to run a gauntlet like that.

25 minutes ago, ugarte said:

yes but it also really punishes the low seeds and let's be honest - seeing low seeds make a deep run is fun as hell and less likely if they have to run a gauntlet like that.

Shouldnt the low seed be punished for their regular season performance?

I have always viewed regular season whether middle school, high school, or college as practice.  The only thing that matters is end of season tournaments.  A bracket reshuffle each round is logistically impossible anyway.

47 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

I have always viewed regular season whether middle school, high school, or college as practice.  The only thing that matters is end of season tournaments.  A bracket reshuffle each round is logistically impossible anyway.

It was be a pain to run, but its would certainly make the regular season "matter" more.

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I like what you are trying to do.  A problem is that seeding is so imperfect.  Do we really want to give more weight to that process?

The way to make the the regular season matter is to make duals determine the national championship.  Team records would seed 
an 8-team tournament.

The NCAA final tourney should just determine individual championships. It would be just as exciting, and we'd be adding many weeks 
of exciting events.

This is too much change for a lot of wrestling fans to accept.  

Edited by Full Nelson

Wrestling tournaments are double elimination to allow wrestlers a second chance to prove in competition where they belong in the standings, in case they were seeded incorrectly. Reseeding after each championship round defeats that purpose, if it were implemented, then tournaments should be single elimination. If you want the top seeded ones to have that extra advantage, the trade off is, if they lose, they're out.

3 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Wrestling tournaments are double elimination to allow wrestlers a second chance to prove in competition where they belong in the standings, in case they were seeded incorrectly. Reseeding after each championship round defeats that purpose, if it were implemented, then tournaments should be single elimination. If you want the top seeded ones to have that extra advantage, the trade off is, if they lose, they're out.

No they wouldnt? The would be the same number of rounds, its just each round would get reshuffled. Championship and consolation bracket and all.

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Which get negated by a single upset.

When Pentz beat Shultz he essentially became the new number 2 seed.

well-deserved reward for beating the #2 guy in the country! abilene christian just got the same reward.