@Jim L - yes!!!   He prevented a backflip at its start!!!  Carr even commented that Metcalf wasn’t going to let it happen on his watch!!  

Sorry - this is weird.  Carr doing the same thing Caldwell was doing (after the whistle this time).  And Metcalf did what he did.  Really weird all the way around.

12 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Did anyone else have the thought that he was re living his most memorable NCAA moment by tackling a champion who was going to do a back flip

That's the joke.  The two of them set up this victory celebration to play off of that moment.  Carr wasn't going to actually hit a backflip-the planned celebration included the BM takedown.

Edited by Billyhoyle

35 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

That's the joke.  The two of them set up this victory celebration to play off of that moment.  Carr wasn't going to actually hit a backflip-the planned celebration included the BM takedown.

Yes, mildly arrogant to script your celebration, but pretty cool.

Just now, NJDan said:

Yes, mildly arrogant to script your celebration, but pretty cool.

Eh, he said in the post match interview the team does visualization. It’s a good exercise to prepare athletes for the pressure of the big stage/motivate them to train to experience the success that is visualized. In their case, clearly they visualize through the post match celebration as part of the exercise.

Wait ... what?  Is this a known fact that this was planned?   Really?  I’m having a hard time believing it.  If there is a source I’d appreciate having that called out.

amazing if true, totally got me.

4 minutes ago, nom said:

Wait ... what?  Is this a known fact that this was planned?   Really?  I’m having a hard time believing it.  If there is a source I’d appreciate having that called out.

You thought that was spontaneous?

10 minutes ago, nom said:

Yes I did.  And I was dumbfounded.  Could not believe my eyes .... or ears ... when Carr commented on it.   As crazy as it is, I was also dumbfounded when Metcalf did the original act to Caldwell.  Was that spontaneous?  LOL

He literally did the exact same cartwheel to backflip that Caldwell did and did it right into his corner lol. 100% planned. Plus the way Metcalf waved the finger in his face.

I'm guessing it was kind of a "wouldn't it be funny if we did this" one day at practice thing and when he won he just went for it.

25 minutes ago, nom said:

Listen to Carr's post-match interview. The fact that it was planned is even more awesome given Carr was absolutely not a lock to win.