MadMardigain

Now who gets the Hodge?

Criteria per WIN.

Criteria for the award includes a wrestler’s record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.

Wrestler's record: tie

Number of pins: Spencer Lee

Dominance on the mat: Spencer Lee

Past credentials: Spencer Lee

Quality of competition: Gable Steveson

Sportsmanship/citizenship: Spencer Lee

Heart: Spencer Lee

Objectively it isn't even close. If WIN were to throw their own criteria out the window, then they could base it only on quality of competition and give it to Steveson. I don't know their thought process, but I'm assuming they put the criteria there so it doesn't become a "who do I like more" competition.

NJDAN -- Yes , it is by a vote of  selected media members, officials from top organizations, several retired coaches, all past Hodge Trophy winners, and by the fans. A ballot will soon be placed on the WIN website. As the creator of the award over 25 years ago, I get one vote, as does Win publisher Bryan Van Kley -- and no more. -- Mike Chapman

Just now, MadMardigain said:

Is ACL injury a criteria?  Besides did Lee even point out how much of the season he was affected?  Not sure you can really penalize Gables chances due to going injury free.

It's not just one, but two criteria in this case: 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

6 and 7 clearly go to Lee. 1 is a wash. 2 and 4 go to Lee. 3 is subjective but mathematically it's Lee and it's not close. Only 5 goes to Gable.

Again, I say this while also saying I feel Gable is the best wrestler. But the Hodge isn't a best wrestler award.

Spencer already won once, so while it is not part of the official criteria, I think it is a fair reason to give it to Steveson. Also, because of the level of competition, plus he may be the best Heavyweight ever

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Spencer already won once, so while it is not part of the official criteria, I think it is a fair reason to give it to Steveson. Also, because of the level of competition, plus he may be the best Heavyweight ever

Just pointing out that Cael Sanderson won it 3 times and David Taylor won it twice.

7 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Is ACL injury a criteria?  Besides did Lee even point out how much of the season he was affected?  Not sure you can really penalize Gables chances due to going injury free.

Spencer hurt that first knee in his senior year in high school and lost the state title going for #4, maybe because of it, to DeSanto.  I don't remember ever seeing him without that big, bulky knee brace on that "first" knee.

Edited by fadzaev2

Just now, fadzaev2 said:

Spencer hurt that first knee in his senior year in high school and lost the state title going for #4 maybe because of it to DeSanto.  I don't remember ever seeing him without that big, bulky knee brace on that "first" knee.

That was a couple of titles ago.  I was referring to this recent issue.  

2 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

That was a couple of titles ago.  I was referring to this recent issue.  

I thought he mentioned it in the interview after his finals match, but I also thought you could read his lips after his Big Ten finals match and I thought he said "I just blew out my knee".....there was a thread on here about that. 

It’ll be Gable. Destroyed everyone. Never a doubt. Never gave up the initial takedown. Never behind. Competition way better.
That's not really the criteria. Other than competition. He was dominant, but not as dominant as Spencer. Fewer pins. Same winning percentage. Superior competition. Inferior prior credentials. I love Gable, but sportsmanship is not always his thing. Which, again, I'm fine with, I loved him taunting Parris after Parris talked crap, but it's definitely not "good sportsmanship."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think steveson deserves it more when you factor in the level of competition. 125 was the weakest weight as far as depth this season (Lee admittedly also make them look worse than they really are). Heavyweight had much better talent and steveson played with them.

Dominance. Spencer gave up go-ahead takedowns more than once if I recall.
Fair. Like I said, I wouldn't be mad at Gable winning, he's a monster. I just think Spencer will win based on criteria, combined with the narrative around the injury + Gable letting off the gas at NCAAs compared to what he did to Parris earlier, plus only a decision and giving up a TD against Kerk who got tuned up by Cass, Parris, and Schultz.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk