Antitroll2828

So can Iowa stop destroying Lee future now?

Now that brands and Iowa have their team title can they stop ruining Spencer Lee...he was already wrestling on one torn acl for years and now he’s pushing through a second, and while I appreciate his dedication to the team, someone needs to be an adult in this program and tell him to get healed up.. it’s ridiculous, the man has Olympic gold potential but at this rate he ll have arthritis in both knees by the time he’s 25 .

Lee really has the potential to do something few wrestlers have ever done for team usa but the brands bro couldn’t seem to care less. They have complete tunnel vision on the the college program , probably to the fault of their wrestlers health ..

I would much rather see Spencer win 2-3 world titles and Olympic gold than watch him tilt his way through another weak 125 field with no knees , and then be medically screwed the rest of his life 

Does anyone from Iowa administration, or athletic department , or Dan gable himself see that Lee interview last night and ask the brand “what the hell are you doing”, ruining one of the best team USA prospects in a long time , just so Iowa can win 1 team title in a decade? With injuries like this someone needs to be an adult and tell Spencer to take care of his body, he only gets one, but from the interview last night I’m guessing brands whole attitude he’s passing on to Lee is win at all costs 

hope Lee can finally get his body right before long term damage starts to set in

6 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

He has a scholarship to wrestle for the University of Iowa, not Team USA.

Being a head wrestling coach isn’t about just winning championships, it’s about setting up your guys up to have successful lives on and off the mat, and what’s happening with Spencer is the opposite, they are very clearly sacrificing Spencers long term health for the short term success of winning a team title.

Edited by Antitroll2828

Obviously a torn ACL is serious. But it can also be repaired and healed. People come back from ACL tears and play in the NBA and NFL.

So is the suggestion that Lee might be permanently disabled at all true?

Also, I assume that Lee knows what he is doing and could sit out if he wanted to do so. The fact is, he wrestled while injured to win his 4th HIGH SCHOOL title. So maybe he thinks winning college titles is also important and worth the risk.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Obviously a torn ACL is serious. But it can also be repaired and healed. People come back from ACL tears and play in the NBA and NFL.

Also, I assume that Lee knows what he is doing and could sit out if he wanted to do so. The fact is, he wrestled while injured to win his 4th HIGH SCHOOL title. So maybe he thinks winning college titles is also important and worth the risk.

A torn acl is something you come back from when you have surgery and get it repaired rather quickly not let it linger and practice and compete at the highest levels with it for years at time...

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Those NFL and NBA guys get it repaired immediately.  Wrestling years on an unstable knee will destroy the cartilage and put the other ligaments at risk.

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Same could be said for Kerkvliet who also famously doesn't have an ACL in one of his knees anymore. It's not that simple. Spencer wants 4 titles. I would be shocked if he even considers what you're saying.

The thing with Kerk is he’s not going to put his freestyle future on the line for folk, If he’s hurt he’s gonna say so and Cael won’t force him or encourage him to wrestle hurt...Spencer is going to try to push through everything bc he’s a fierce competitor in his early 20s, he needs an adult to explain to him that if he keeps it up without having surgery and doing the rehab that when he’s 37 he’s barely going to be able to play with his kids, nevermind being a high level coach, which is something I think he’s mentioned in the past ,

and Spencer has a redshirt available and they hand out medical redshirts like candy on Halloween, so don’t give me that about him wanting to win 4, he can take a year to get his body right then come back and win, the reason he probably won’t is he is going to have the brands pushing him to wrestle next season so they can be in the mix for another team title next year.

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Now that brands and Iowa have their team title can they stop ruining Spencer Lee...he was already wrestling on one torn acl for years and now he’s pushing through a second, and while I appreciate his dedication to the team, someone needs to be an adult in this program and tell him to get healed up.. it’s ridiculous, the man has Olympic gold potential but at this rate he ll have arthritis in both knees by the time he’s 25 .

Lee really has the potential to do something few wrestlers have ever done for team usa but the brands bro couldn’t seem to care less. They have complete tunnel vision on the the college program , probably to the fault of their wrestlers health ..

I would much rather see Spencer win 2-3 world titles and Olympic gold than watch him tilt his way through another weak 125 field with no knees , and then be medically screwed the rest of his life 

Does anyone from Iowa administration, or athletic department , or Dan gable himself see that Lee interview last night and ask the brand “what the hell are you doing”, ruining one of the best team USA prospects in a long time , just so Iowa can win 1 team title in a decade? With injuries like this someone needs to be an adult and tell Spencer to take care of his body, he only gets one, but from the interview last night I’m guessing brands whole attitude he’s passing on to Lee is win at all costs 

hope Lee can finally get his body right before long term damage starts to set in

I think people aren’t understanding that Spencer clearly understands all of this.. he’s not that much of a closed book.

It really comes across that belonging to a team and something bigger than himself matters a great deal to him. I’m well aware many see and approach wrestling as a super duper selfish f everyone but me sport. Spencer doesn’t seem to like that or benefit from that. He specifically said his teammates belief in him is what made him think he could do it.

I think people blaming the Brands or Iowa’s team for his decision need to understand that. 

Do I want a healthy Spencer to rep the US at Tokyo? Hell yeah. But people are throwing what “they” want on him

Well I don’t know Spencer, and I think we all know of his potential beyond college, but it might just be that in Spencer’s case, that the heart wants what the heart wants. Maybe Spencer decided that he will put the entire program on his back in order bring the title back to Iowa city. 

1 minute ago, de4856 said:

Well I don’t know Spencer, and I think we all know of his potential beyond college, but it might just be that in Spencer’s case, that the heart wants what the heart wants. Maybe Spencer decided that he will put the entire program on his back in order bring the title back to Iowa city. 

Yup, almost like being valued and appreciated for what he brings to his group or “tribe” if you will matters to him. As much or more than just winning a personal title

10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The thing with Kerk is he’s not going to put his freestyle future on the line for folk, If he’s hurt he’s gonna say so and Cael won’t force him or encourage him to wrestle hurt...Spencer is going to try to push through everything bc he’s a fierce competitor in his early 20s, he needs an adult to explain to him that if he keeps it up without having surgery and doing the rehab that when he’s 37 he’s barely going to be able to play with his kids, nevermind being a high level coach, which is something I think he’s mentioned in the past ,

and Spencer has a redshirt available and they hand out medical redshirts like candy on Halloween, so don’t give me that about him wanting to win 4, he can take a year to get his body right then come back and win, the reason he probably won’t is he is going to have the brands pushing him to wrestle next season so they can be in the mix for another team title next year.

Is this a joke? He literally just did that.

7 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Yup, almost like being valued and appreciated for what he brings to his group or “tribe” if you will matters to him. As much or more than just winning a personal title

He said when he committed that his goal was to put the hawkeyes back on top. It was very important to him.

I only post here around nationals so I don't know your post history Antitroll, but to imply that Spencer doesn't have a good head on his shoulders or people surrounding him who only want what is best for Spencer is laughable. Either a complete ignorance of reality, or your username is meant to be ironic. So either take a closer look at Lee and his family, or enjoy the feed.

1 minute ago, Cruocified said:

I only post here around nationals so I don't know your post history Antitroll, but to imply that Spencer doesn't have a good head on his shoulders or people surrounding him who only want what is best for Spencer is laughable. Either a complete ignorance of reality, or your username is meant to be ironic. So either take a closer look at Lee and his family, or enjoy the feed.

It’s pretty obvious when the guy is walking around with no Acls and probably already getting arthritis in one knee, and he’s talking about how he is going to wrestle in trials in a few weeks and most likely come back next year without getting surgery, it clearly shows the people around him, aren’t concerned about his long term health...The man needs surgery to fix atleast one of the knees, but instead of his coaching staff telling him that , they just go with some Ra Ra you got this , tough guy bull**** and then lee can have his knees torqued and screwed up more by fix, gross and suriano in a few weeks ...

The brands care about winning more than they care about their athletes long term health once they leave Iowa ...look at any documentary on them, they are literally almost sick in the head obsessed with winning, always have been

you have a generational talent ,A man who could win multiple world championships... who needs to heal and brands is in his ear telling how tough and badass he is and to keep pushing through.

6 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don’t think OP is processing that lol

It’s processed, but one of the coaches jobs is to protect the athlete from themselves ..great that he wants to drag Iowa back to the top, but it shouldn’t happen at the expense of his long term health and wrestling career, and your coach is supposed to be the one to echo that in your ear, and personally I don’t think Tom or terry give a damn about anything other than Iowa University Wrestling 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

It’s processed, but one of the coaches jobs is to protect the athlete from themselves ..great that he wants to drag Iowa back to the top, but it shouldn’t happen at the expense of his long term health and wrestling career, and your coach is supposed to be the one to echo that in your ear, and personally I don’t think Tom or terry give a damn about anything other than Iowa University Wrestling 

I think you’re underestimating Spencer here personally. That being said.

I think you’d be shocked at how high a percentage of DI coaches are like that. As well as how many see the coaches without that mentality as “soft”

14 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Is this a joke? He literally just did that.

The second Kerk got hurt this year cael announced him out for the year the next day Kerk went and had surgery, and the only reason cael let him to wrestle is bc a doctor medically cleared him and Nevills had been wrestling hurt..so no Cael and a Kerk wouldn’t do what’s happening with Iowa, Kerk , nevermind cael would never put his Olympic future on the line for college wrestling 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

you have a generational talent ,A man who could win multiple world championships... who needs to heal and brands is in his ear telling how tough and badass he is and to keep pushing through.

I respect your position even though I don't agree with it except for this. How do you know?? Did you put a bug in Lee's ear so you could listen? Here's what I see:

• Super-competitive kid who is not going to listen to anyone if he believes in something. Still has the handwritten note of goals he wrote out at age 9 which I'm 100% sure has Olympic champion on the list. Even Terry Brands cannot sway him from doing what he feels like is best.
  • Against the Brands' advice (I'm told by a credible source to me, so not 100% on this), Lee decided to wrestle for his 4th state title on a similarly bum knee. The Brands showed up to watch him anyway.
  • During his freshman year, at an Iowa football game, he proclaimed to the crowd that he would bring a wrestling title back to Iowa. That was a very important goal for him. 
  • Every year, he has consistently discussed the importance of team success, and that team title he promised, when asked about his personal aspirations.
  • 'he Brands have been more overprotective of Lee than possibly any Iowa coach has been for any Iowa wrestler in their program's history. I stopped counting the number of threads talking about Brands ducking so and so by sitting Lee at around 10 or so. Lee has been pulled from competition a LOT. 

Why isn't this Spencer's own decision? Why is it the Brands who are ruining the future of America?

If I look at it from Spencer’s point of view and his olympic aspirations right now I can see if he injured it in the last year that he probably figured I’m going to do everything I can to try to still win the olympics so continuing to wrestle is something he needed anyway to keep his conditioning and training on an elite level... After watching the on the mat deal about Spencer and listening to the way his dad talked about his decision to wrestle in high school with a tore acl I can absolutely understand his want and drive to want to put it on the line for this... Meaning I don’t think the Brands are pushing him anymore than Spencer is pushing himself. And I’m by no means a Hawkeye supporter so to defend the Brands seems odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think Tom or terry give a damn about anything other than Iowa University Wrestling 

Come on now. Both Brands brothers care about USA Wrestling. They've both been very much involved and understand it's value.  At the end of the day it's a personal decision and if Spencer chooses to continue in folk putting his freestyle career in jeopardy that's on him. At this point he's a grown man

4 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I think you’re underestimating Spencer here personally. That being said.

I think you’d be shocked at how high a percentage of DI coaches are like that. As well as how many see the coaches without that mentality as “soft”

I don’t underestimate Spencer at all, I’m pointing out that as coach you just have to say at some point to the athlete STOP , Fix your body before the damage can’t be fixed

for as smart and determined as Spencer is, he’s still just a college kid with tunnel vision himself, he can say he understands that his knees will break down before he’s 40 if he keeps it up but he doesn’t really understand that, no fierce competitors ever do. Hell most young men regardless of what they do in life don’t seem to understand that 

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I respect your position even though I don't agree with it except for this. How do you know?? Did you put a bug in Lee's ear so you could listen? Here's what I see:

• Super-competitive kid who is not going to listen to anyone if he believes in something. Still has the handwritten note of goals he wrote out at age 9 which I'm 100% sure has Olympic champion on the list. Even Terry Brands cannot sway him from doing what he feels like is best.
  • Against the Brands' advice (I'm told by a credible source to me, so not 100% on this), Lee decided to wrestle for his 4th state title on a similarly bum knee. The Brands showed up to watch him anyway.
  • During his freshman year, at an Iowa football game, he proclaimed to the crowd that he would bring a wrestling title back to Iowa. That was a very important goal for him. 
  • Every year, he has consistently discussed the importance of team success, and that team title he promised, when asked about his personal aspirations.
  • 'he Brands have been more overprotective of Lee than possibly any Iowa coach has been for any Iowa wrestler in their program's history. I stopped counting the number of threads talking about Brands ducking so and so by sitting Lee at around 10 or so. Lee has been pulled from competition a LOT. 

Why isn't this Spencer's own decision? Why is it the Brands who are ruining the future of America?

If he were over protective of lee he wouldn’t have had him wrestling on 2 Torn Acls just so they could win a meaningless team title, and He definitely would be telling him to get healed now not go and fight off gross and fix dive rolls on his knees in a couple weeks