lu1979

Who Wins the Transfer Sweepstakes at 149 & 165?

Which teams are going to land the S Griffith the Sophomore 165 lb NC from Stanford and the two Freshmen AAs @ 149 S Abas Stan and K Parco Fresno - also Soph R Woods is also available.  These transfers could have a real impact on next years team race. 

5 hours ago, Idaho said:

For the 64th  time ...Parco is committed and signed at UVU as announced on his Twitter. As for the others I can see: 

Griffith PSU 

Woods Michigan

Abas Oregon State 

I was really impressed with Parco throughout the tournament.  His match with Sasso was amazing. Do you have any info on whether T LaMont and D Romero intend to use the extra year?  If they do Utah Valley will start the season with 3 returning AAs.  That would be great for that program.  

Edited by lu1979

All 3 were big time recruits out of high school who could have gone anywhere but chose elite academics over a truly elite wrestling program. Doubt that calculus has changed. My guess is they would look at the Ivies first. 

Just now, BAC said:

All 3 were big time recruits out of high school who could have gone anywhere but chose elite academics over a truly elite wrestling program. Doubt that calculus has changed. My guess is they would look at the Ivies first. 

if stanford has scholarships that probably had an influence on the decision too. and a few of the B1G schools - Michigan especially - have very good academic reputations. North Carolina used to - my wife is a Tar Heel - until the state legislature started stripping it for parts.

12 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Surprised ASU isn't getting a look from any transfers. They had McGee transfer in and finish 6th. 

Griffith wouldn't go there.  They already have Valencia at 165 and Munoz at 174.

Woods wouldn't go there with Zeke guaranteeing 141 to Chlebove.

Parco already signed with UVU as someone mentioned above.

That leaves Abas, who could be an option at 149 if Crooks graduates and decides not to come back.

22 minutes ago, BAC said:

It has been said a few times on here that the plan for Griffith and possibly Woods is to finish school ahead of schedule, graduate, and use eligibility as a grad transfer. That means they aren’t going Ivy because Ivies don’t allow grad transfers.

34 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Griffith wouldn't go there.  They already have Valencia at 165 and Munoz at 174.

That leaves Abas, who could be an option at 149 if Crooks graduates and decides not to come back.

Both Crooks and Valencia are done. 

12 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I was really impressed with Parco throughout the tournament.  His match with Sasso was amazing. Do you have any info on whether T LaMont and D Romero intend to use the extra year?  If they do Utah Valley will start the season with 3 returning AAs.  That would be great for that program.  

I agree - I have always though UVU could be solid and seems like they always run into injuries and other circumstances. With Parco coming in, Lamont, Romero and a decent roster they definitely could have a solid performance next year. 

12 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

They also brought in 4x CA champ Jesse Vasquez to fill that spot at 149. 

16 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Very True... Mejia was suppose to be at Clackamas this year...not sure what happened. 

How old is he now?!! Crap he might pop up here with the rest of us old guys before too long 

18 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

A.  You are assuming Valencia is coming back for a 7th season at ASU.  I don't see that happening

B. "guaranteeing 141 to Chlebove"??????  According to who?   I think the Chlebove experiment is done after his last place finish at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament.  And anyone who would choose Chlebove over Woods is mentally deficient in the extreme.

C.  See A above and replace Valencia with Crooks (and Abas would beat Crooks - just as Abas did this year at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament)

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Is it official?

I would say I'm about 99% sure. I don't think Valencia wants to come back. He's oft injured and he has his AA finish and his degree. Crooks I think is kind of in the same boat, wants to move on. 

A.  You are assuming Valencia is coming back for a 7th season at ASU.  I don't see that happening
B. "guaranteeing 141 to Chlebove"??????  According to who?   I think the Chlebove experiment is done after his last place finish at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament.  And anyone who would choose Chlebove over Woods is mentally deficient in the extreme.
C.  See A above and replace Valencia with Crooks (and Abas would beat Crooks - just as Abas did this year at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament)
B. according to Zeke.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If Woods Ana’s or Griffith want to transfer to ASU, I don’t see anyone in the lineup already there affecting their decision one way or the other.  Courtney made a huge jump from RSFr year to RSSo year, maybe Chlebove can do the same. Vasquez is going to be a force at 149. Valencia graduated 3 years ago and who knows how many masters degrees by now. But if wants to continue on the Sr circuit, I don’t know why he wouldn’t come back to ASU for another year.