Sign in to follow this  
fullnelson

Scoring rule suggestion

Lot of inconsistent officiating last night, if the officials of the first and last matches switched matches, RBY would have won 2-0, while Spencer would have won by DQ. RBY did nothing different than what I saw the whole tournament, yet got dinged 2x in 30 secs, while Courtney ran the whole match. Years ago the rule stated if a wrestler backed out of the 10 ft circle before any contact was made it was automatic stalling; Courtney did it every time except when he got caught 2x shooting before the whistle start. Recall how many times guys were playing the edge with leads. A year ago I was not in favor of the step out rule, but I'm now leaning the other way. Besides keeping the wrestling in the center of the mat, it would do 2 additional things, one make the matches go by faster (eliminating the plethora of restarts), and two it gives a guy a chance to score with short time on the clock (ala Sidakov in the Russian Nat'ls last week). Also change the rule about dropping down to a single leg while in top position even in standing position (Ferrari). Yes he was within the rules to go to standing single without a count, but it still stalling (correctly called once); there is absolutely no effort to attempt a fall when one repeatedly goes for single leg. I'm in favor of any single leg control while in the top position being deemed stalling.

Probably need to increase the value of a takedown if a step out is instituted, otherwise we will see guys only going for push outs since it’s the same net value as a TD and subsequent escape—with a lot less risk and work. I also don’t know how it would work in the referee’s position—be awful easy to run a guy off the mat when their back is turned.

Edited by Force118