VakAttack

Good news for those wanting to dunk on Iowa some more next year

19 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Good shout. It does feel like RBY went from getting dominated by Desanto to completely controlling every second of their matches from sophomore year on. What bothers me so much about the Brands style and overall coaching is there seems to be little strategy. 

I would understand that if Terry was the head coach because he's stubborn and thinks if you just GO HARD AS F***, you'll win. But Tom is smart and understands you need to adjust. Yet, last night showed once again, there is a massive gap between Cael & the Brands Brother on strategy. 

There is zero excuse for Kemerer to lose to Carter. Zero. Kemerer is the better wrestler and proved it less than 12 days before that with a 3-0 takedown advantage. Then he goes out and is completely shutdown on offense. 

This....

The adjustments Lee and Starocci made were not higher level things.  This stuff happens with HS coaching.  The difference is Lee and Starocci are high level wrestlers who can pull off those adjustments with success.

Eierman and Kemerer had no adjustments of their own.  No predicting from a coaching standpoint on how their opponents are going to adjust.

In D1, it is very hard to push forward and then do a straight on shot with success.

50 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

99%. He's basically said as much.

He's literally said that he can go 141 or 149, depending on which is better for Cornell next year.  If the team determines that Saunders (or Richard, or whoever) is a better fit for the team at 149, then he'll go 141.

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

Good shout. It does feel like RBY went from getting dominated by Desanto to completely controlling every second of their matches from sophomore year on. What bothers me so much about the Brands style and overall coaching is there seems to be little strategy. 

I would understand that if Terry was the head coach because he's stubborn and thinks if you just GO HARD AS F***, you'll win. But Tom is smart and understands you need to adjust. Yet, last night showed once again, there is a massive gap between Cael & the Brands Brother on strategy. 

There is zero excuse for Kemerer to lose to Carter. Zero. Kemerer is the better wrestler and proved it less than 12 days before that with a 3-0 takedown advantage. Then he goes out and is completely shutdown on offense. 

This match was closer than people remember. It was 2 takedowns not 3. Starocci was in deep and had the corner to take control of the match at the end of the second and Kem hit a nasty counter for 2 and 2. But if Starocci finishes that shot with short time, he's in the driver seat.

I'm sure he's fine, he's literally the only person who's beaten Yianni in college....though I would predict Yianni beats him any time they wrestle, as he has i ntheir subsequent matches. As the good uncle indicated, I think Yianni has been hinting he'd be at 149.

Have you ever watched the match? Yianni had him beat at the South Florida Duals and made a Frosh mistake to lose late.

That sais, I agree that Yianni will be a 149.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This match was closer than people remember. It was 2 takedowns not 3. Starocci was in deep and had the corner to take control of the match at the end of the second and Kem hit a nasty counter for 2 and 2. But if Starocci finishes that shot with short time, he's in the driver seat.

Starocci will likely continue to improve in all facets; he’s a RS FR with half a normal NCAA schedule under his belt. Starocci has 35 total matches in college (19 of them his RS year); Kemerer will be a 7th year senior with 120. Not saying he’s finished getting better, but, I think Starocci will improve more. His finishes on his TDs improved visibly from the start of the season until last night.

Kemerer might beat Starocci at a dual meet next year, but Starocci is going to win the post-season matches. I know I say this all the time, but I honestly believe it: he’s got better partners AND coaches.

Have you ever watched the match? Yianni had him beat at the South Florida Duals and made a Frosh mistake to lose late.

That sais, I agree that Yianni will be a 149.

Yes I have. And as I said, I wouldn't pick him to beat Yianni.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think the only 2 options for Marinelli are hang up the shoes or folkstyle one more year.  His senior level freestyle potential is not good.  A gatekeeper to somewhere between the top 5 and top 10.  Same goes for Desanto, Warner and Cassioppi.

Eirmann has shown he is a game freestyler from his time prior to IA and of course they have Lee.  The program is in a weird place where they really need to ride this class to its folkstyle potential and then the program has it's soul sold on Lee.  

1 hour ago, Class said:

I think the only 2 options for Marinelli are hang up the shoes or folkstyle one more year.  His senior level freestyle potential is not good.  A gatekeeper to somewhere between the top 5 and top 10.  Same goes for Desanto, Warner and Cassioppi.

Eirmann has shown he is a game freestyler from his time prior to IA and of course they have Lee.  The program is in a weird place where they really need to ride this class to its folkstyle potential and then the program has it's soul sold on Lee.  

Marinelli wrestled James Green to a 4-4 criteria loss before the season. He obviously had a size advantage since Green has since committed to 65kg but at the time Green was training and preparing for 74kg. 

Now, I'm not saying Marinelli will ever make a World/Olympic team or even top 3 and National Team but there is money to be made in FreeStyle wrestling even if you aren't Jordan Burroughs or Kyle Dake. Hell, I would bet most people thought Tommy Gantt should hang it up after his folkstyle career but he has found some moderate success and a living in FreeStyle wrestling.

3 hours ago, Boompa said:

This....

The adjustments Lee and Starocci made were not higher level things.  This stuff happens with HS coaching.  The difference is Lee and Starocci are high level wrestlers who can pull off those adjustments with success.

Eierman and Kemerer had no adjustments of their own.  No predicting from a coaching standpoint on how their opponents are going to adjust.

In D1, it is very hard to push forward and then do a straight on shot with success.

Actually Eierman DID have an adjustment from the first match.  He shot more times in that match than he did all year combined.  And gassed himself out.

Also, to continue on the "PSU adjustments" theme:  At times Brooks seemed to me super cognizant of keeping his left elbow tight to his body so as to avoid Hidlay's underhook.

4 hours ago, portajohn said:

Serious question. Will Iowa even place in the top 5 @ the 2023 tournament?

Top 4 isn't out of reach.

125: Ayala

133: Ybarra/Schriever

141: Murin/Schriever

149: Murin/Reyna/Henson

157: Reyna/Rathjen/Henson

165: Kennedy

174: Brands

184: Assad

197: Warner

HWT: Cassioppi

2 hours ago, Class said:

Same could be said for many pennstate wrestlers. At least for the olympics. Joseph isn’t doing anything in freestyle. Nolf isn’t beating Dake. Gilman and retherford aren’t making the team and if they do they aren’t winning gold. Bo won’t compete with Taylor. And Taylor got lucky Cox moved up. 

These guys are Cael’s pawns to stick around and make his college team better.

Edited by Daybreak

4 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Same could be said for many pennstate wrestlers. At least for the olympics. Joseph isn’t doing anything in freestyle. Nolf isn’t beating Dake. Gilman and retherford aren’t making the team and if they do they aren’t winning gold. Bo won’t compete with Taylor. And Taylor got lucky Cox moved up. 

and Mark Hall hit the road.  Other than Taylor, they haven't produced a lot of medal threats.  Surprising, given the level of success.

Correct Gantry. I'm not sure what those two were referring to. Every competitor for every team got the free COVID year, so it couldn't be that. I have noticed in the few time I've come to this forum that there is little in the way of legitimate wrestling discussion, but a lot of attention seeking controversial nonsense mixed in with holier than thou fake outrage, so it is par for the course.

6 hours ago, Daybreak said:

IMO both Nolf and Nickal have good chances to make the world team in a non-Olympic year if they stick with the sport. 

Places are going to open up a bit in the next few years as Taylor and Burroughs can’t keep going forever. Even Dake isn’t young by international standards.

And you are seriously including Taylor in the list as a “pawn to make the college team better”? He’s a world champion and got his gold going through Yazdani and was one of the top P4P wrestlers in the world before his injury. What a bizarre way to describe Taylor.

Edited by wamba