Sign in to follow this  
Lunaticfringe

Is this a new record for minority NCAA champions in a single year?

I will start out by saying it’s a good look for the sport of having so many minority athletes competing in NCAAs this year compared to a while back. Mainly teams like Penn St and Arizona St it is noticeable. Have there ever been 6 NCAA champs who were non white in the same year before as we had RBY, Carr, Starocci, Brooks, Ferrari and Steveson?

12 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I will start out by saying it’s a good look for the sport of having so many minority athletes competing in NCAAs this year compared to a while back. Mainly teams like Penn St and Arizona St it is noticeable. Have there ever been 6 NCAA champs who were non white in the same year before as we had RBY, Carr, Starocci, Brooks, Ferrari and Steveson?

+ Lee?

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sidebar comment - I remember thinking how Beard could have used some time in the tanning room before nationals.

Chuckles in Bo Nickal

As for "non-white", other than Carr, the others appear to be mixed, except Ferrari - who is definitely "white".

Northern Italians may not even think there's a difference between Starocci's complexion and the average goat-herding, hill-living Sicilian (RBY, Brooks and Steveson, too).

Of note; some of my dna is from the ball, not the boot, so don't get worked up...

2 hours ago, Rocep said:

O’Conner would not have been considered white until the 20th Century. For most of history the Irish were considered “non-white.”

2 hours ago, Rocep said:

O’Conner would not have been considered white until the 20th Century. For most of history the Irish were considered “non-white.”

100% true.  Just look at the documents, cartoons from Harper's Weekly, etc.

2 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

Chuckles in Bo Nickal

As for "non-white", other than Carr, the others appear to be mixed, except Ferrari - who is definitely "white".

Northern Italians may not even think there's a difference between Starocci's complexion and the average goat-herding, hill-living Sicilian (RBY, Brooks and Steveson, too).

Of note; some of my dna is from the ball, not the boot, so don't get worked up...

Nino could have maybe shared a tanning booth membership with Beard.

2 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Who gives a damn . media stick on this ddiversity s hit.

How about we are all Americans.

White, black, Asian, Latin

Just americans

What about Micic or the Amines? Don't they compete for other countries? Maybe Earthlings? Brands wanted to take on extra terrestrials at one point, so we're going to need a Team Earth eventually.

3 minutes ago, Cruocified said:

What about Micic or the Amines? Don't they compete for other countries? Maybe Earthlings? Brands wanted to take on extra terrestrials at one point, so we're going to need a Team Earth eventually.

Micic and the Amines: all born here and all have US citizenship.