Full Nelson

Step out rule

5 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

On twitter lots of people are screaming for a step-out rule in folk style.

Do they mean adopting the freestyle rules on pushouts?

I think so.  And I've thought it would be a great idea for a long time. Even if it was only implemented in OT as a trial run.

7 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

It is a bad rule for free and greco and will be a worse rule for folk. 

I don't see the argument that the boundary rules in freestyle are more aggravating than the cluster we see in folkstyle.

Even if you dislike the pushout rule, the pushout seems to be a relatively small factor in freestyle.  

I'm sick of defensive wrestlers constantly playing the edge of the mat to stall.  None of the attempts at rule changes
seem to have made anything clearer or better.   Wrestlers constantly going out of bounds in 
escape attempts is tedious as hell.

Edited by Full Nelson

Wrestling for the most part is about as exciting as watching paint dry.  I have come to accept that fact and just enjoy the tedium while waiting for something exciting to happen.  Kind of like my interest in baseball.  It too is dull as hell, until it isn't for that brief moment.

Edited by 152lbs

6 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

I don't see the argument that the boundary rules in freestyle are more aggravating than the cluster we see in folkstyle.

Even if you dislike the pushout rule, the pushout seems to be a relatively small factor in freestyle.  

I'm sick of defensive wrestlers constantly playing the edge of the mat to stall.  None of the attempts at rule changes
seem to have made anything clearer or better.   Wrestlers constantly going out of bounds in 
escape attempts is tedious as hell.

You must get nauseous watching Ferrari in top position.

46 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

Wrestling for the most part is about as exciting as watching paint dry.  I have come to accept that fact and just enjoy the tedium while waiting for something exciting to happen.  Kind of like my interest in baseball.  It too is dull as hell, until it isn't for that brief moment.

A lot of truth in what you say here.

I think the unsolvable problem is the dearth of competitive matches.  80% of the time you know who is going to win.   

1 hour ago, 152lbs said:

It is a bad rule for free and greco and will be a worse rule for folk. 

Most of the international style people I know that that it would be the case but have been convinced otherwise. One thing to keep in mind is that generally when you see FS /GRyou see fairly high level FS/GR where there isn't much room for traditional scoring because they're so good especially defensively. Without it we'd be like World Cup football (soccer) and a lot of 1-1s. It's actually very good if you understand it but little scoring sometimes.

I used to take 10 guys to watch nationals.  The constant fleeing the mat, riding with no intent to turn. was so boring I couldn't keep them as fans.

I've got three sons that go with me that love wrestling.   The finals were a disgrace to wrestling, and now I don't even know if I can can keep all of them going now.  

It's time for the pushout rule.  The refs simply will not enforce the current true stalling rules.  

9 hours ago, jmez said:

Enforce fleeing the mat. Problem solved.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

That’s not the problem IMO.  The reason that you can’t get all refs to enforce it the same way is because it’s a subjective call. Why should the ref have to decide whether or not someone is backing up or just being pushed?

A step out rule removes the subjectivity.  Only issue I see is I could see a lot of challenges to determine who stepped out first.  But I think the hopeful goal of a stepout rule is that it makes guys actually stay in bounds.

That’s not the problem IMO.  The reason that you can’t get all refs to enforce it the same way is because it’s a subjective call. Why should the ref have to decide whether or not someone is backing up or just being pushed?
A step out rule removes the subjectivity.  Only issue I see is I could see a lot of challenges to determine who stepped out first.  But I think the hopeful goal of a stepout rule is that it makes guys actually stay in bounds.
I don't think that solves it in folkstyle. Ferrari is going to tech fall everyone with 15 push outs.

Situational differences. When neutral and a guy gets a single leg he isn't pushing the guy out of bounds, he's trying to finish. When on top and you take the leg on a stand up there is no reason to try and finish. Just push them out and restart.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk