Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Brands is the best recruiter; Cael the best in-match coach

Agree?

Brands gets the best talent - from PA (Spencer, Desanto, Murin, Young, Kemerer) and also in the transfer portal (Desanto, Eireman) -- showing his prowess as the top recruiter in the country.

Cael has the best in-match coaching and gameplanning as evidenced by going 4/4 in the finals with 2 wrestlers avenging their Big 10 losses to their Iowa counterparts who were both 6th year seniors.

Cael gets almost anyone he really wants.

Murin, Young, Kemerer would not have started as frosh/RS frosh so they weren't going to Penn State anyway - and that's not diminishing their skill or talent.

Desanto was not on Cael's radar.

Maybe Cael goes and poaches someone else's AA level wrestler for a fill-in next year to get back on top until his guys do another couple of 4 year runs and rinse-and-repeat until 2030.

Jimmy, swing and a miss...

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Agree?

Brands gets the best talent - from PA (Spencer, Desanto, Murin, Young, Kemerer) and also in the transfer portal (Desanto, Eireman) -- showing his prowess as the top recruiter in the country.

Cael has the best in-match coaching and gameplanning as evidenced by going 4/4 in the finals with 2 wrestlers avenging their Big 10 losses to their Iowa counterparts who were both 6th year seniors.

Seems plausible.

Coaches that do a lot of screaming and chest puffing and carrying on seem to really impress these kids. But when it comes to game time, being emotional seems less important than technique and strategy. 

Edited by Katie

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

Seems plausible.

Coaches that do a lot of screaming and chest puffing and carrying on seem to really impress certain fan bases. But when it comes to game time, being emotional seems less important than technique and strategy. 

FIFY.

Also for a lot of wrestlers not being screamed at with orders and directions during an entire match doesnt help them keep their focus.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Agree?

Why don't you pay your debts?

12 hours ago, Katie said:

Seems plausible.

Coaches that do a lot of screaming and chest puffing and carrying on seem to really impress these kids. But when it comes to game time, being emotional seems less important than technique and strategy. 

Cael's demeanor as a coach is similar to when he was competing.  His style worked for him as a competitor and now for many years as a coach. 

Dan Gable had a much different approach, Brands was coached by Gable, so there's that.  Both are highly successful coaches. 

Iowa just won, they were the favorite to win last year.  PSU may very well be the favorite next year, so it would appear even though their approaches are different, both are successful. 

13 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Brands' game day coaching appears limited to watching the score and yelling "PUSH-PULL PUSH-PULL!!". That is actually pretty close to perfect.   What separates Carl  is his discerning eye.   The man knows when to throw a brick.

I thought Cunningham was the brick master?

Man, the Iowa hate is STRONG!  Cmon guys, give credit where credit is due.  You may not like the style, but Brands Co. are in the top 5 and arguably top 2 in all of DI wrestling.  Even since PSU took over 10 years ago, Iowa has been the CLEAR #2 in year in, year out consistency and it really hasn't even been close behind them. 

Also, I am supposed to be such a strong PSU hater, but I have never waivered from saying Cael is the best DI coach there is.  Cael can still be that to you, but give the Brands their due.  They have done a ton to adapt and find ways to get Iowa back on top.  If not for Covid, they would now be Back to Back Champs.

GIVE THEM THEIR DUE!  It can't hurt you.  You still have the best coaching staff in the country and are right there going into next season....................

Cael had to reload and Covid stood in front of that to a degree.  Hey, someone had to step up to the plate while Penn State reloaded. Last time it was Ohio State (btw ---- seems to me for a number of years it was tOSU that stood at #2, not Iowa -which  negates your CLEAR #2 claim - wasn't one tOSU team the greatest #2 team of all time?) now Brands has stepped up. Good for him -but don't ignore history by altering it.  

But even when he wins, it seems he is a loser.  Has a championship ever seemed so hollow?

1 hour ago, oldcougar said:

Cael had to reload and Covid stood in front of that to a degree.  Hey, someone had to step up to the plate while Penn State reloaded. Last time it was Ohio State (btw ---- seems to me for a number of years it was tOSU that stood at #2, not Iowa -which  negates your CLEAR #2 claim - wasn't one tOSU team the greatest #2 team of all time?) now Brands has stepped up. Good for him -but don't ignore history by altering it.  

But even when he wins, it seems he is a loser.  Has a championship ever seemed so hollow?

Altering it?  Do I have to show you the overall stats?  I said year in and year out which means OVER THAT ENTIRE TIME SPAN.  NO TEAM has been close to their average performance over the Sanderson at PSU time span and it is NOT close.

From 2010 to present: PSU, Iowa and Cornell are the ONLY teams to finish in the top 10 EVERY year(I am confident Cornell would have if Ivies were allowed this year).  Iowa is the ONLY team to finish in the TOP 5 EVERY season.

PSU-9,1,1,1,1,6,1,1,1,1,Covid,2  Average 25/11=  2.272 place

Iowa-1,3,3,4,4,2,5,4,3,4,Covid,1  Average 34/11= 3.09 place

OkState-6,4,6,2,3,7,2,3,13,3, Covid,3  Average 52/11=4.727 place

Cornell-2,2,4,5,7,5,7,8,7,7,Covid,DNP  Average 54/10=5.4 place

tOSU-8,29,5,6,6,1,3,2,2,2,Covid,9  Average=73/11=6.636 place

Minn-7,7,2,3,2,8, 17,7, 17,8,Covid,7 Average 85/11=7.727 place

Mizz-10,17,26,7,14,4,6,5,6,6,Covid,7  Average=108/11  9.818 place

Edited by MSU158

13 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Man, the Iowa hate is STRONG!  Cmon guys, give credit where credit is due.  You may not like the style, but Brands Co. are in the top 5 and arguably top 2 in all of DI wrestling.  Even since PSU took over 10 years ago, Iowa has been the CLEAR #2 in year in, year out consistency and it really hasn't even been close behind them. 

Also, I am supposed to be such a strong PSU hater, but I have never waivered from saying Cael is the best DI coach there is.  Cael can still be that to you, but give the Brands their due.  They have done a ton to adapt and find ways to get Iowa back on top.  If not for Covid, they would now be Back to Back Champs.

GIVE THEM THEIR DUE!  It can't hurt you.  You still have the best coaching staff in the country and are right there going into next season....................

I always give Tom his due.  In fact, I even prayed to him last night:

Coach Brands who art in Iowa City, Hollowed be thy victory,

And forgive us our four champs, as we forgive you for just having one.

11 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Altering it?  Do I have to show you the overall stats?  I said year in and year out which means OVER THAT ENTIRE TIME SPAN.  NO TEAM has been close to their average performance over the Sanderson at PSU time span and it is NOT close.

From 2010 to present: (I will update this as I go)

PSU-9,1,

Iowa-1,3,

OkState-6,4,

tOSU-8,29,5,6,6,1,3,2,2,2,Covid,9  Average=73/11=6.636 place

Cornell-2,2,

Minn-7,7,

Mizz-10,

I guess if a team went 50, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1  Average 5.45 place, that wouldn't be as good as Iowa.

40 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

I guess if a team went 50, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1  Average 5.45 place, that wouldn't be as good as Iowa.

So, we can just take years off when it suits us?  That has nothing to do with year in and year out consistency?  If so, what did you change the word to mean?

And OBVIOUSLY I was comparing teams to THE Team that won that many Championships.  Hint: it wasn't tOSU.............

On top of that, even if you take the 29th place out of tOSU's finishes they STILL average 4.4 place.  CONSIDERABLY BELOW Iowa.

Finally, Iowa is the ONLY team to finish in the TOP 5 EVERY SINGLE SEASON Sanderson has been at PSU.   Hell, did tOSU even finish top 5 this season?  Think it was 9th actually, wasn't it?

Edited by MSU158

16 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Brands' game day coaching appears limited to watching the score and yelling "PUSH-PULL PUSH-PULL!!". That is actually pretty close to perfect.   What separates Carl  is his discerning eye.   The man knows when to throw a brick.

How quickly you forget the Terry Brands "YOU ARE AFRAID OF DIRTY POLITICIANS" rants that can be uplifting to his wrestlers.

Brands bros are good coaches no doubt. Pretty much everyone not named Penn State would love to be on their level. Tom deserves a lot of credit.

They aren't on the same level as PSU.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Both Cael and Tom are tremendous coaches obviously.  The personality difference is striking and I think you either love a guy like Brands or you hate him.  With that said, it does seem like Tom is extremely loyal to his guys and treats them like family.  I don't know that Cael is any different but there are some knocks on him when he bumps top recruits to get another guy who might be better(Kerkvliet over Nevilles and I believe there are others).    How would Brands do if he was in Penn State vs Iowa?  We will never know.

Recruiting wise, imagine if Cael could've brought Lee to PSU instead of Suriano??

52 minutes ago, jmez said:

Brands bros are good coaches no doubt. Pretty much everyone not named Penn State would love to be on their level. Tom deserves a lot of credit.

They aren't on the same level as PSU.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

They literally just beat them.  So you're correct, 1st is a level higher than 2nd. 

Geez. 

28 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Both Cael and Tom are tremendous coaches obviously.  The personality difference is striking and I think you either love a guy like Brands or you hate him.  With that said, it does seem like Tom is extremely loyal to his guys and treats them like family.  I don't know that Cael is any different but there are some knocks on him when he bumps top recruits to get another guy who might be better(Kerkvliet over Nevilles and I believe there are others).    How would Brands do if he was in Penn State vs Iowa?  We will never know.

Recruiting wise, imagine if Cael could've brought Lee to PSU instead of Suriano??

However, we do know how Cael would do at Iowa State. 

8 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

However, we do know how Cael would do at Iowa State. 

2005: #1 overall recruiting class, 2008: seven AAs, 2nd, 5th, 3rd team finishes plus incoming David Taylor. Not too shabby for being Iowa's little step brother. I predict Carl would have still won 2-4 team trophies but certainly not the domination of the PSU dynasty.