Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Brands is the best recruiter; Cael the best in-match coach

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Altering it?  Do I have to show you the overall stats?  I said year in and year out which means OVER THAT ENTIRE TIME SPAN.  NO TEAM has been close to their average performance over the Sanderson at PSU time span and it is NOT close.

From 2010 to present: PSU, Iowa and Cornell are the ONLY teams to finish in the top 10 EVERY year(I am confident Cornell would have if Ivies were allowed this year).  Iowa is the ONLY team to finish in the TOP 5 EVERY season.

PSU-9,1,1,1,1,6,1,1,1,1,Covid,2  Average 25/11=  2.272 place

Iowa-1,3,3,4,4,2,5,4,3,4,Covid,1  Average 34/11= 3.09 place

OkState-6,4,6,2,3,7,2,3,13,3, Covid,3  Average 52/11=4.727 place

Cornell-2,2,4,5,7,5,7,8,7,7,Covid,DNP  Average 54/10=5.4 place

tOSU-8,29,5,6,6,1,3,2,2,2,Covid,9  Average=73/11=6.636 place

Minn-7,7,2,3,2,8, 17,7, 17,8,Covid,7 Average 85/11=7.727 place

Mizz-10,17,26,7,14,4,6,5,6,6,Covid,7  Average=108/11  9.818 place

You should always throw out the high and the low numbers to get a more true reading, don't you think?

6 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

You should always throw out the high and the low numbers to get a more true reading, don't you think?

Why? This isn't a Golf or Bowling Handicap! This is about actual performance.  When recruiting, do the coaches just say ignore that year when we placed 29th?  Ignore the year we won it?  They would definitely TRY that with the former, but sure as hell not the latter.

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

LOL I have never heard that, but I'd love to hear the story!

There is a post floating around here from maybe Big10s. Terry is going totally off script and he's as loud as ever. I only provided one of the funny bits. When he gets himself worked up the situation is very funny in a deranged sort of way. 

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

There is a post floating around here from maybe Big10s. Terry is going totally off script and he's as loud as ever. I only provided one of the funny bits. When he gets himself worked up the situation is very funny in a deranged sort of way. 

It was during a match. He was also dropping a swear word (or two) that were caught on mic

Funny to hear (which a lot of their stuff is - to me, the Brands are can't miss TV)

They literally just beat them.  So you're correct, 1st is a level higher than 2nd. 
Geez. 
In a 1 year vacuum correct. Over the course of their career not so much.

Cael 14 years 8 national titles, won 4 in a row twice.

Tom 16 years 4 national titles, won 3 in a row.

Tom has won 2 since Cael has been at Penn State. The fist year Cael was there and this year.

Both great coaches, Cael is better IMO.

If I were starting a wrestling program tomorrow and could pick any coach Cael would be 1 and Tom 2.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Just now, jmez said:

In a 1 year vacuum correct. Over the course of their career not so much.

Cael 14 years 8 national titles, won 4 in a row twice.

Tom 16 years 4 national titles, won 3 in a row.

Tom has won 2 since Cael has been at Penn State. The fist year Cael was there and this year.

Both great coaches, Cael is better IMO.

If I were starting a wrestling program tomorrow and could pick any coach Cael would be 1 and Tom 2.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OK - Fair enough.  

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

2005: #1 overall recruiting class, 2008: seven AAs, 2nd, 5th, 3rd team finishes plus incoming David Taylor. Not too shabby for being Iowa's little step brother. I predict Carl would have still won 2-4 team trophies but certainly not the domination of the PSU dynasty.

I'd agree with that. 

19 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

A lot of these PSU wrestlers give as much credit to Casey Cunningham as to Cael himself

Important point.  Cunningham and Terry Brands appear to be the best on the mat wrestling coaches (Roselli before he became HC?).  

I've kind of looked at it as Iowa as lightweight U and PSU as middle and upper weight U as a result. 

To me the fact that PSU knocked off number one seeded lightweights from Iowa and Daton Fix was perhaps the most alarming result of the finals if you're Iowa. PSU had been a little middle and upper weight tilted in their success,  but now if you're a lighter weight recruit and you see the unmistakable development and tremendous success of RBY and Lee, you may view PSU as being as good a place to succeed as Iowa. 

11 hours ago, MSU158 said:

So, we can just take years off when it suits us?  That has nothing to do with year in and year out consistency?  If so, what did you change the word to mean?

And OBVIOUSLY I was comparing teams to THE Team that won that many Championships.  Hint: it wasn't tOSU.............

On top of that, even if you take the 29th place out of tOSU's finishes they STILL average 4.4 place.  CONSIDERABLY BELOW Iowa.

Finally, Iowa is the ONLY team to finish in the TOP 5 EVERY SINGLE SEASON Sanderson has been at PSU.   Hell, did tOSU even finish top 5 this season?  Think it was 9th actually, wasn't it?

Nice try, MSU.  You conveniently start Ohio State with the years where they finished 8th and 29th and Iowa 1st to make your biased statistics work.

The fact is this:  Excepting these last two Covid years  (I'll give you last year,)  Ohio State finished ahead of Iowa for 5 straight years...in fact, ahead of everyone but PSU.   

Then again, maybe Cornell prefers 5, 7, 8, 7,7 over 1, 3, 2, 2, 2.

Excepting a rough Saturday evening a couple of days ago,  all indications suggest that Iowa has come back to prominence. 

Will it last?  We'll see.

Back to your brilliant stat work:

"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."

41 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Nice try, MSU.  You conveniently start Ohio State with the years where they finished 8th and 29th and Iowa 1st to make your biased statistics work.

The fact is this:  Excepting these last two Covid years  (I'll give you last year,)  Ohio State finished ahead of Iowa for 5 straight years...in fact, ahead of everyone but PSU.   

Excepting a rough Saturday evening a couple of days ago,  all indications suggest that Iowa has come back to prominence. 

Intentionally? I literally used the years Sanderson has been coach at PSU. Am I supposed to just ignore the 1st 2 years so it helps tOSU?  

So you know, tOSU wasn’t even a consideration to me when I started the thread. now, I do think  You had a good run, but I do think Snyder leaving hurt and will have some lasting effects. 

59 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Intentionally? I literally used the years Sanderson has been coach at PSU. Am I supposed to just ignore the 1st 2 years so it helps tOSU?  

So you know, tOSU wasn’t even a consideration to me when I started the thread. now, I do think  You had a good run, but I do think Snyder leaving hurt and will have some lasting effects. 

I agree about Snyder.  Myles Martin, too.

3 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Perhaps you need to torture the numbers a bit further yourself. If you shrink the window to 9 years Iowa still has a better average due to tOSUs 9th this year. A more effective technique for dealing with outliers is to winsorize the data. But don't look it up, tOSU still comes out behind.