152lbs

David Carr Twitter

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Carr strikes me as the kind of young man you’d want your daughter to date. Just a guy you can’t help but to root for. He’s definitely got a fan in me. 

I've spent some time with Nate Carr Sr. and have had some great conversations.  While I cannot claim to know Nate Carr extremely well, I will say that i am not at all surprised that he has raised what seems to be a great young man.

I've spent some time with Nate Carr Sr. and have had some great conversations.  While I cannot claim to know Nate Carr extremely well, I will say that i am not at all surprised that he has raised what seems to be a great young man.

I have also had the privilege of having a few conversations with his family and they are just salt of the Earth people who are not afraid to give God the glory win or lose. After seeing the way that Nate Carr, his wife, and Nate Carr Jr. carry themselves on and off the mat I’m not surprised at all. I wrestled in Georgia around the same time Carr Jr. was in High School, and that entire family knows how to raise fine Christian men that are strikingly good on the mat.

Goheels1812, I would second that and be very happy if my daughter ended up dating/marrying someone like this. I know that if he stepped out of line his entire family would get to him and fix the problem before I would even have to step in!

He gets that smile from his dad. Nate Carr was the first wrestler I really wanted to be like. A giant of a man, and one of the most unassuming famous people I've met. I still have a shoe he signed for me somewhere in the basement. It's the only shoe I've kept over the years. 

I'm surprised David doesn't have more of Nate's technique in his arsenal, although I can understand they are built differently. I think Nate is one of the few old timers who could time travel to the present era and still have the style to kick ass. 

To the original post, I coach at a middle school in the Milwaukee area that is predominantly African-American and I can tell you that wrestling is a tough sell to these boys and their families.  There is definitely an inaccurate perception that "wrasslin" is for rural white farmboys.  I 100% plan on leveraging the image of 5 black/biracial men winning NCAA championships to show my prospective wrestlers that people who look like them can win at the highest levels. Representation matters!  The caption "for the culture" is significant.

It is icing on the cake that the ringleader of that group, David Carr, is an absolute model of a student-athlete.  As was mentioned above, the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to marry.  184 lb. Parker Keckeisen comes from the program that I am involved with, and through his (kind of one-sided) rivalry with Brooks over the years, I can also tell you that he (Brooks) is a champion's champion and a real class act/gentleman.  WIth the exception of some of Steveson's "antics", all the guys in that photo are top notch kids.

Edited by Konquest

12 minutes ago, Konquest said:

To the original post, I coach at a middle school that is predominantly African-American and I can tell you that wrestling is a tough sell to these boys and their families.  There is definitely an inaccurate perception that "wrasslin" is for rural white farmboys.  I 100% plan on leveraging the image of 5 black/biracial men winning NCAA championships to show my prospective wrestlers that people who look like them can win at the highest levels. Representation matters!  

It is icing on the cake that the ringleader of that group, David Carr, is an absolute model of a student-athlete.  As was mentioned above, the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to marry.  184 lb. Parker Keckeisen comes from the program that I am involved with, and through his (kind of one-sided) rivalry with Brooks over the years, I can also tell you that he (Brooks) is a champion's champion and a real class act/gentleman.  WIth the exception of some of Steveson's "antics", all the guys in that photo are top notch kids.

Culturally, I much prefer basketball to wrestling. I am a city person and I like hip hop.  I find that I love the atmosphere at NBA games, and even local pickup games.   By comparison, I enjoy watching wrestling in spite of the culture surrounding it.  

In my view, the culture surrounding wrestling is an added draw for some, but a barrier for others.

Edited by Katie

26 minutes ago, Katie said:

Culturally, I much prefer basketball to wrestling. I am a city person and I like hip hop.  I find that I love the atmosphere at NBA games, and even local pickup games.   By comparison, I enjoy watching wrestling in spite of the culture surrounding it.  

In my view, the culture surrounding wrestling is an added draw for some, but a barrier for others.

Interesting

53 minutes ago, Katie said:

This is what looks like fun to me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFpn_ExfjQ

Can you even imagine a wrestling team having a good time like this?

Not like that. We were a bit meaner/tougher back in the day. The high tide of "fun" in our locker room was when we played King of the Mat.  After there were lots of kids with black eyes, busted, lips, etc. The coaches also had another game they called "Stick". A stick about a foot long was held by 2 wrestlers. The objective was to take sole possession of the stick, no rules. 

17 hours ago, AHamilton said:

He raised a great wrestler!

1 hour ago, Katie said:

It's true of a lot of sports....hockey, NBA, boxing, MMA, NASCAR, MLB.... each sport has a "culture" to it and a fanbase... it can be a draw and a barrier at the same time for all of them. 

Carr is extremely talented, but dancing in front of your opponent, the 31 seed, in the opening match of the NCAAs while up big, and you are the 3 seed, is like seeing a #3 ranked FBS school tear down the goalpost when they beat a FCS school the first game of the season.  I would not say that’s class.  

Edited by Cptafw164