LifeintheRed

No Love for O'Toole?

I dunno... picked him to win over Griffith... he beats Wentzel if they went at it again... have no idea how his technique overcame the strength of some... Griffith also looks physically pedestrian... manages to take out monsters...

My odds on favorite to win 165 next season.  He wrestled at 157 in January and I think he’d have won that weight this year.  

Not sure why Mocco and Kent weren’t also down a weight with Hawks at 184, seems Jacques is being protected at the detriment of Mizzu’s lineup.

7 hours ago, jross said:

I dunno... picked him to win over Griffith... he beats Wentzel if they went at it again... have no idea how his technique overcame the strength of some... Griffith also looks physically pedestrian... manages to take out monsters...

Griffith is real strong. Those long guys are deceiving. Just watch how easily he pulled Marinelli off his legs repeatedly.

1 hour ago, WresFan89 said:

My odds on favorite to win 165 next season.  He wrestled at 157 in January and I think he’d have won that weight this year.  

I don’t think he would’ve beaten Carr. I think Carr is on track to be a 4 time national champion with only 1 collegiate loss to Deakin at the 2019 CKLV. 

Love the performance and potential of O'Toole, but let's not overlook another great job.  Rocky Elam, also a true freshman.  His path to a medal this year may have been the toughest path of anyone in the tournament.  He met and beat several top seeds to become an All American.  Future looking bright for Mizzou! 

4 minutes ago, gallison said:

Love the performance and potential of O'Toole, but let's not overlook another great job.  Rocky Elam, also a true freshman.  His path to a medal this year may have been the toughest path of anyone in the tournament.  He met and beat several top seeds to become an All American.  Future looking bright for Mizzou! 

Elam went from 5th at senior nationals to 5th in the country as a freshman , pretty darn impressive 

9 minutes ago, gallison said:

Agreed...we have two amazing true freshmen that did extremely well.  And it's even more exciting that we have guys like Edmond and Hawks in the room that are itching to break into the lineup!

3 hours ago, WresFan89 said:

Not sure why Mocco and Kent weren’t also down a weight with Hawks at 184, seems Jacques is being protected at the detriment of Mizzu’s lineup.

I thought I read somewhere that Kent couldn't make 174...

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Griffith is real strong. Those long guys are deceiving. Just watch how easily he pulled Marinelli off his legs repeatedly.

I judge people’s level of actual understanding of wrestling by how they interpret “muscle definition” and “strength”

4 hours ago, WresFan89 said:

Kent couldn't make 174 and was the best option at 184.

That meant that they had three AA caliber guys at two weights.  The early season bump of one of the 157lber guys to 165 and Mocco to 174 made it so they could adjust prior to NCAAs.  It was a good call.

49 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I judge people’s level of actual understanding of wrestling by how they interpret “muscle definition” and “strength”

Did you listen to O'Toole's interview about things to work on?  Strength was one of them...

8 minutes ago, jross said:

Did you listen to O'Toole's interview about things to work on?  Strength was one of them...

The comments about Griffith is what I’m referring to

14 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

He's been kind of overlooked in this whole thing- Dude's a solid true freshman- wasn't sure what I'd see from him in the tournament but he's definitely for real. Bright future for this kid!

I've been a huge Keegan fan since watching him at Who's #1!  Also, huge congrats to his AWA teammate Parker Keckeisen, who also really impressed me!

4 hours ago, gallison said:

Everyone talking about Mizzou guys being overseeded, these two were underseeded due to not getting the opportunity for any high level wins. Elam's first round loss looked bad until we saw how far Woodley made it, and then Elam got revenge after beating the 2 and 3 seed and was a nose hair away from beating the 1 seed.

14 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Everyone talking about Mizzou guys being overseeded, these two were underseeded due to not getting the opportunity for any high level wins. Elam's first round loss looked bad until we saw how far Woodley made it, and then Elam got revenge after beating the 2 and 3 seed and was a nose hair away from beating the 1 seed.

Yep. I think everybody thought highly of O'Toole and Elam coming in. I beat up Mizzou for their seeds, but picked O'Toole to make the finals. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been right there to win 157.

In the end, most of their team wrestled well under seed again. I don't think they tanked. I just think guys like Schmitt, Hart, Jacques, Mocco, Kent, and big Elam wouldn't have been seeded as high if they had wrestled a full season with a legit schedule. Still a great program with some good young talent. Definitely, don't blame them for their schedule this year. It was out of their hands.

24 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Yep. I think everybody thought highly of O'Toole and Elam coming in. I beat up Mizzou for their seeds, but picked O'Toole to make the finals. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been right there to win 157.

In the end, most of their team wrestled well under seed again. I don't think they tanked. I just think guys like Schmitt, Hart, Jacques, Mocco, Kent, and big Elam wouldn't have been seeded as high if they had wrestled a full season with a legit schedule. Still a great program with some good young talent. Definitely, don't blame them for their schedule this year. It was out of their hands.

Take a closer look at the low to mid weight wrestlers and who they wrestled.  I think everyone under 157 lost only to All Americans.  Speaks more to the bad draw they got than to poor wrestling.  I do agree that a few of the Mizzou guys wrestled below their seeds, but many did not.  Especially proud of Surtain who was a backup for 99% of the season.  He did well enough at MAC championships to get to the nationals and wrestled tough (but lost) to two AA's.

Edited by gallison

3 minutes ago, gallison said:

Take a closer look at the low to mid weight wrestlers and who they wrestled.  I think everyone under 157 lost only to All Americans.  Speaks more to the bad draw they got than to poor wrestling.  I do agree that a few of the Mizzou guys wrestled below their seeds, but many did not.

Sure, but all lower seeded, which is the point. My point isn't that Mizzou lost to bad wrestlers. It's that they lost to better wrestlers who should have been seeded ahead of them, but weren't because of Mizzou's MAC schedule.

7/10 wrestled below seed. Surtin went 1-2 as an 18, but lost to 2 AA's so we'll call it a wash. Only O'Toole and Elam wrestled above.

4 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Three great, young Wisconsin kids who went elsewhere...O'Toole, Mocco and Keckeisen. :-(  

Maybe they should have hired Askren to coach the Wisconsin Badgers college team instead of the RTC.  I bet he would have gotten O'Toole, both Moccos, and Keckstein.  And maybe Buchanan too.