Jimmy Cinnabon

At what age does athletic endurance decline?

On 3/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

Peak cardiovascular fitness occurs between 25-30 give or take a year or so. When exactly within that range varies by individual. 

What a great troll thread, by the way. Seriously. 

Is it even that late? Can you tell me what you are referencing, authentic curiosity in the academic side of the subject.

I feel like that would be the peak among trained athletes but not among people on the street.

Edited by hammerlockthree

**** I have had many, many reconstructive surgeries: , left shoulder rotator cuff and labrum (2007), right shoulder rotator cuff (2008), left hip replacement (2009), another left shoulder rotator cuff (2013), and right knee replacement (2018).  I am very glad I am still 21. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Is it even that late? Can you tell me what you are referencing, authentic curiosity in the academic side of the subject.

I feel like that would be the peak among trained athletes but not among people on the street.

You're right that a trained heart and cardiovascular system in general will "age" much better than for a sedentary person. That has been studied a lot and the conclusion is always the same.

The study I like to reference is this one because it has specific age breakdowns by event (I feel the type of event plays a major role in the analysis): https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Age-y-at-Peak-Performance-and-Number-of-Years-in-the-Peak-Performance-Window-in_tbl1_283517440

I think "middle distance" is as close to wrestling cardio fitness as it gets, since a study of actual wrestling would be pretty useless (too much skill involved to skew the results).

Most studies analyze cohorts across a much wider range of ages, e.g. 18 and under, 19-25, 26-31, etc., which makes it impossible to figure out which age within a cohort is truly optimal, and most studies focus on one type of activity (long-distance running, treadmill for X minutes/Y miles, etc.).

Also, I feel like world records and medals in endurance sports are good proxies for peak cardiovascular achievement. These sports are generally low-skill and the optimal training methodologies are well-known. They're more tests of genetics than anything else at the elite level (of course, dedication, consistency, etc. matter too, but they all have it at the elite level). Most of the top results come within the 25-26ish age, give or take a few years, but usually not over 30 and usually not much under 25. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

2 hours ago, Mulletman21 said:

**** I have had many, many reconstructive surgeries: , left shoulder rotator cuff and labrum (2007), right shoulder rotator cuff (2008), left hip replacement (2009), another left shoulder rotator cuff (2013), and right knee replacement (2018).  I am very glad I am still 21. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

That rotator cuff you shredded at ten must cause you a lot of problems.

Jimmy why don't you pay your debts? 

I think your body depends on ware more than age.  Rocky Marciano was the most conditioned athlete i ever studied.  He push his body very far.  This enabled him to have fight ending capacity with either hand in the 15th round of a fight using the crouch defense which is exhausting for 15 rounds.   But rocky retired undefeated in early thirties because his body couldn't take conditioni v

It is impossible to put an age on it.  If you have wrestled from the age of 6 to 26, there is a very high chance that you have chronic overuse injuries that limit how hard you can train.  And that is if you don’t have any acute injuries that limited you.  

Randy Couture smoked the human gas tank of Tito Ortiz.  Randy was 43.

Also, who was that wrestler who won the olympics...or placed third in his late 30s?  He was an IOWA guy.  Gable said he was the best athlete he ever coached.  He ended up getting a JD...got bored and trained for the Olympics.  

(it’s bothering me, so I am gonna have to look that up).

Chris Campbell:  

1977-78 ncaa champ

FREESTYLE:
1980 Olympic team

1980 world champ

1990 world silver

1992 Olympic bronze 

Edited by Cptafw164

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

**** Yeah, youth club athletics (baseball, football, basketball, track and boxing), as a kid can be brutal at times. LOL as you have probably surmised I am not 21 (older, but not saying how much older).

Actually, I didn't really start formal wrestling until 18 as a walk on, although I wrestled a lot of kids on our high school team and beat most of them.  I was long, lean, quick and coordinated and very strong for not being overly stacked. They were more trained but I was more athletic. I never cut weight being so lean (6'3" and 180). However, now there is a lot of mileage on my body, as is the case with most of us who overdid it, athletic-wise, when we were young.

12 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

It is impossible to put an age on it.  If you have wrestled from the age of 6 to 26, there is a very high chance that you have chronic overuse injuries that limit how hard you can train.  And that is if you don’t have any acute injuries that limited you.  

Randy Couture smoked the human gas tank of Tito Ortiz.  Randy was 43.

Also, who was that wrestler who won the olympics...or placed third in his late 30s?  He was an IOWA guy.  Gable said he was the best athlete he ever coached.  He ended up getting a JD...got bored and trained for the Olympics.  

(it’s bothering me, so I am gonna have to look that up).

Chris Campbell:  

1977-78 ncaa champ

FREESTYLE:
1980 Olympic team

1980 world champ

1990 world silver

1992 Olympic bronze 

Awesome, thanks for sharing this.

22 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I shredded my labrum at 8 years old during a subluxation messing around with an “8year old heavyweight” between matches at a tourney.  I had surgery at the age of 31.  In the scope pictures, the surgeon showed me these threads growing off the bone around the labrum.  He said, “I have done 80 shoulder scopes and never seen that before.”  I told him I had an injury at 8, and he paused and said, “there is a possibility that your body tried to grow it back or you injured it badly during growth periods.”

acute child injuries cause weird things.  Those threads impinged my socket for years causing chronic pain.  

Edited by Cptafw164

6 hours ago, wamba said:

Awesome, thanks for sharing this.

Weird thing is that EVEN NOWADAYS really good wrestlers are only offered “books” and maybe meals for scholarship.  

however, academic scholarships are allowed for RECRUITED athletes.  Their scholarship counts against the NCAA 9.9 for the first year.  If they maintain a 3.0 the scholarship won’t be counted for the rest of their time.  

Caveat is that many schools have their own GPA criteria, higher than 3.0, for large academic scholarships. And those scholarships are earmarked for certain academic departments.  So if you got a full ride but have to major in engineering...you better work!