Jimmy Cinnabon

Does Marinelli returning mean no Griffith for Iowa?

I would assume so, but Brands has been very good in landing finalist level talent as transfers (Desanto, Eireman)

Can't see space for him at 157 since Brands' son-in-law Young-Brands mans that spot.  174 is Grandpa Mike. 184 is Brands Jr.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Too early. Things change. 

Marinelli and Kemerer (and Eireman) already confirmed they'll be back.  Actually I think all the seniors, super-seniors and super-duper-seniors for Iowa confirmed they'll be back for 5th, 6th and 7th senior years.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I would assume so, but Brands has been very good in landing finalist level talent as transfers (Desanto, Eireman)

Can't see space for him at 157 since Brands' son-in-law Young-Brands mans that spot.  174 is Grandpa Mike. 184 is Brands Jr.

157? The guy that wins 165 you are wondering if 157 is an option so he can wrestle for Iowa? The kid is likely a lean toward 174. 

**** Mr. Cinnabon and any one else who has commented on this: Think about it. Why would Griffith even consider enrolling in Iowa, when he has been wrestling at Stanford, which is one of the Top 5 Academic institutions in the country.  He has already won an NCAA Championship, so unless his future career asperations include being a college wrestling coach, then he would be wise to consider the value of the degree he will earn.  I would think that someone who has the academic credentials and smarts to get into Stanford an successfully handle the course load would do better to look for another school, which has a D1 wrestling team, but with similar academic rigors. 

I know some of you will jump on me for putting down Iowa academics, but it is like apples and oranges.  What is he looking to change his major to Kinesiology? The long term benefits of a degree from Stanford or other schools like the Ivies or NW or Michigan or UVA or Purdue or Lehigh or some others will far outweigh a degree from Iowa.  

13 minutes ago, Mulletman21 said:

**** Mr. Cinnabon and any one else who has commented on this: Think about it. Why would Griffith even consider enrolling in Iowa, when he has been wrestling at Stanford, which is one of the Top 5 Academic institutions in the country.  He has already won an NCAA Championship, so unless his future career asperations include being a college wrestling coach, then he would be wise to consider the value of the degree he will earn.  I would think that someone who has the academic credentials and smarts to get into Stanford an successfully handle the course load would do better to look for another school, which has a D1 wrestling team, but with similar academic rigors. 

I know some of you will jump on me for putting down Iowa academics, but it is like apples and oranges.  What is he looking to change his major to Kinesiology? The long term benefits of a degree from Stanford or other schools like the Ivies or NW or Michigan or UVA or Purdue or Lehigh or some others will far outweigh a degree from Iowa.  

Stanford has a kinesiology program too.

I know many athletes that were slightly above average college bound students who were recruited by Ivy League schools and faired well academically. Back in the day, when kinesiology was called physical education, schools like Cortland, Springfield, & Penn State had challenging PE programs. 

On another note, I know people that partied for 5 years in college who barely graduated, and are kicking butt in the business world. Go figure. 

56 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Griffith should go to Princeton or Michigan. If he really wants to expand his wrestling skill set then maybe he could make a pit stop at PSU, but I think he's all about the academics. 

As people keep explaining in relation to Griffith and Woods an Ivy League school is not an option as the Ivy League (6 wrestling schools) does not allow grad students to compete in intercollegiate sports.  That leaves a lot of other great schools with highly rated grad school options available. 

Edited by lu1979

8 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

As people keep explaining in relation to Griffith and Woods an Ivy League school is not an option as the Ivy League (6 wrestling schools) does not allow grad students to compete in intercollegiate sports.  That leaves a lot of other great schools with highly rated grad school options available. 

Does this take out Michigan too since they claim to be the Harvard of the West?