Jimmy Cinnabon

Did Brands go overboard in punishing Desanto?

Not sure exactly what Desanto said but rumors are he said something coming off the mat after winning 3rd place.  He was said to have said something to a NCAA staffer who tried to direct him.

Now, it was the heat of the moment, and he's an emotional guy.  Perhaps Brands went too far in denying him the honor of participating in the award ceremony, standing on the podium and being in the championship team picture with his teammates.  Even though Iowa is heavily favored to repeat next year, what if they don't win...and now Desanto isn't in the team photo of his ONLY team title?  That would be awful.

Is Brands going too-PC and "woke" in punishing Desanto for what he said a few seconds after running off the mat?   Could Desanto have said something that was THAT bad that was worthy of such punishment by Brands?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Probably a preemptive move to avoid an NCAA sanction, which could conceivably have resulted in the loss of AD's points.  If that had occurred, Penn State would have won the title by 4 points.  Smart move by Brands to protect his championship.

Agree. It was a preemptive decision made in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is surprising that Tom handed out this punishment...all one has to do is look at his past and continued behavior to know he condones and acts this way himself.  Feel a little bad for Desanto given he clearly has mental health issues, and to be lead by someone who either doesn't know how to properly act or behave, or just choses not to is not going to help Desanto become better at controlling his emotions.  Now I want to be clear...I DO NOT think this is all Tom's fault...even though Desanto clearly has mental health issues, he is still responsible for his actions and the things he says; however, Tom does bare some of the responsibility since he is the leader of the team and he actions as a leader foster this type of behavior.

2 minutes ago, dman115 said:

It is surprising that Tom handed out this punishment...all one has to do is look at his past and continued behavior to know he condones and acts this way himself.  Feel a little bad for Desanto given he clearly has mental health issues, and to be lead by someone who either doesn't know how to properly act or behave, or just choses not to is not going to help Desanto become better at controlling his emotions.  Now I want to be clear...I DO NOT think this is all Tom's fault...even though Desanto clearly has mental health issues, he is still responsible for his actions and the things he says; however, Tom does bare some of the responsibility since he is the leader of the team and he actions as a leader foster this type of behavior.

Desanto doesn't have "mental health issues".  He is on the autism spectrum.

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Desanto doesn't have "mental health issues".  He is on the autism spectrum.

I am not saying he is or isn't on the autism spectrum given not a single person on here knows his genetic or medical/mental health history.  Regardless, even if he is on the spectrum, isn't that still considered a mental health issue??  If not, how would someone describe it than??

20 minutes ago, Katie said:

I can’t speak to any particular incident, but it’s a shame to see anyone get canceled. Call me old fashioned, but I like free speech.

What lol? This is kind of a weird post. No one is getting cancelled in this scenario. I have no idea what’s true and what isn’t so I’ve refrained from posting on this topic, but IF it is true that Desanto told a female employee that he was going to kill her then he absolutely deserved a punishment handed down by Brands or NCAA officials. You can’t have wrestlers running around saying anything like that to people working the tournament. It’s not like he got kicked off the team or everyone is boycotting Iowa as long as Desanto wrestles for the team. He just didn’t get to stand on the podium. That’s far from “cancel culture” or prohibiting free speech. 

Edited by goheels1812

Just now, goheels1812 said:

What lol? This is kind of a weird post. No one is getting cancelled in this scenario. I have no idea what’s true and what isn’t so I’ve refrained from posting on this topic, but IF it is true that Desanto told a female employee that he was going to kill her then he absolutely deserved a punishment handed down by Brands or NCAA officials. You can’t have wrestlers running around saying anything like that to people working the tournament. It’s not like he got kicked off the team or everyone is boycotting Iowa as long as Desanto wrestles for him. He just didn’t get to stand on the podium. That’s far from “cancel culture” or prohibiting free speech. 

Yeah...wrestlers shouldn't act like that, and Desanto should have acted more like his coach...oh wait...

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Not sure exactly what Desanto said but rumors are he said something coming off the mat after winning 3rd place.  He was said to have said something to a NCAA staffer who tried to direct him.

Now, it was the heat of the moment, and he's an emotional guy.  Perhaps Brands went too far in denying him the honor of participating in the award ceremony, standing on the podium and being in the championship team picture with his teammates.  Even though Iowa is heavily favored to repeat next year, what if they don't win...and now Desanto isn't in the team photo of his ONLY team title?  That would be awful.

Is Brands going too-PC and "woke" in punishing Desanto for what he said a few seconds after running off the mat?   Could Desanto have said something that was THAT bad that was worthy of such punishment by Brands?

Why don't you pay up?

53 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Because people learn from their own mistakes and in the end it makes them better people, better mentors, better coaches...are we still allowed to learn from our past mistakes anymore? 

What past actions are you speaking of in the last 4 years that now have his team mimicking his behavior?

Edited by Idaho

48 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

What lol? This is kind of a weird post. No one is getting cancelled in this scenario. I have no idea what’s true and what isn’t so I’ve refrained from posting on this topic, but IF it is true that Desanto told a female employee that he was going to kill her then he absolutely deserved a punishment handed down by Brands or NCAA officials. You can’t have wrestlers running around saying anything like that to people working the tournament. It’s not like he got kicked off the team or everyone is boycotting Iowa as long as Desanto wrestles for the team. He just didn’t get to stand on the podium. That’s far from “cancel culture” or prohibiting free speech. 

I agree with you.... but you have to admit that this type of situation lends itself to a "cancellation" in the society we live in today. 

I tend to agree with the premise and "cancel culture" can rob people of a valuable learning opportunity, but do you think that applies in this case?  Didn't Desanto have his learning opportunities or mistakes to learn from already.

If TnT had him on any sort of a conduct agreement to be a part of their storied program is this conduct really compliant with that?

24 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I agree with you.... but you have to admit that this type of situation lends itself to a "cancellation" in the society we live in today. 

I think the problem that people have a hard time understanding in 2021 is that it’s okay to hold someone accountable for their actions, while not cancelling them. Punishing Desanto for popping off at a tournament official (regardless of gender) is an acceptable way to hold him accountable for his actions. But no one needs to go so far as to boycott Iowa wrestling for not kicking him off the team. To me that’s cancelling him and way overboard. 

Isn't there a video of Terry Brands at one of the senior level tournaments where he goes around shouting some pretty damn salty crap at people? That kind of behavior can't help Desanto much. A psychologist might even deem it harmful. That is no joke either. 

I had a high school wrestler 2 years ago get ejected from a tournament for screaming “f*** this” after he thought an official made a poor call to end a match. He got suspended for 2 weeks from all matches. In practice myself and the other coaches worked him pretty hard for a few days to make sure he knew that wasn’t acceptable. I’m not really sure how that’s much different than Desanto being disciplined for something similar. We can still have high standards for athletes in our sport to make sure that the men and women of our sport move on to the next part of their life with high character. 

Doing nothing to DeSanto doesn't pass as "punishment" to me. So what, he wouldn't let DeSanto take pics with the team afterward. Oh my, such fierce punishment. 

Let's be perfectly clear: Tom and Terry Brands don't give a damn what sort of ******* they get on their team, as long as he scores points at NCAAs. That's what happens if you don't win an NCAA title for a long, long time. What I thought was hilarious was in the speech after winning he talked about bringing Iowa "back"? Back from what, you've been there 15 years Tom. Back from yourself? 

Edited by TobusRex

54 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

What behaviors have you seen from Tom Brands that pushes you to this view?

Have you not watched any dual/tournament match since he started coaching??  He acts inappropriately every single match he sits in the corner or on the sidelines for.  And if you ever were unfortunate enough to be within ear shot of him during matches, it is not a pretty thing to hear...he is vulgur, immature, and quite frankly an a-hole to refs, wrestlers, and opposing coaches.

I believe there is a clip of Tom or Terry walking around after a match and bumping into another coach and saying something like "get out of the way, I'll take you out!" something like that.  Which I think is harmless and no one made a big deal about that, rightly so.

Just now, dman115 said:

Have you not watched any dual/tournament match since he started coaching??  He acts inappropriately every single match he sits in the corner or on the sidelines for.  And if you ever were unfortunate enough to be within ear shot of him during matches, it is not a pretty thing to hear...he is vulgur, immature, and quite frankly an a-hole to refs, wrestlers, and opposing coaches.

I have watched many matches and yes have actually been in ear shot of him as well.  I have seen him overly excited and yes at times loud, but most of the time that is not what I see from him.  I see a lot of that from Terry, but this style of coaching has been around forever and they are not the only ones who do it.  I have also personally seen him fired up and yelling and immediatley after laughing and joking with who he was going back and forth with and give the impression it's to fire up the team, almost like a show.  Either way, I disagree his coaching style had anything to do with Desanto's behavior, and there was no mimicking going on.