TBar1977

Hollywood Could Not Have Written Saturday Night Better for PSU

I just rewatched the finals and man alive what happened Saturday Night could not have been better for Penn State. They go 4-0 in the Championship Round and 2-0 vs Iowa. 

The play by play call from renowned Iowa wrestling voice Tim Johnson ..., even he sounded like the most positive effusive Penn State fan. Then you have the visuals. Oh those visuals.

The sheer joy on the faces of everyone at Penn State as one match after another the Nittany Lions prevailed. Valient and Victorious at the same time. 

And the looks on the faces of Eierman and Kemerer told an opposite story, the old Wide World of Sports "Agony of Defeat" story minus the downhiller crashing on the ski slope. 

Hollywood couldn't make that script up. I found two of the videos. Awesome stuff.

Happy for the Hawkeye fans, but I was glad to see some of the Hawkeyes lose. I was glad Kemmerer lost (I didn't like that he had years more experience than his opponent). Glad Eierman lost as well, can't stand "traitors" to their original teams. 

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

What do you mean "Hollywood couldn't make it up"?    They had a 1 seed, 2 2 seeds and a 3 seed win the title, that's not that surprising considering what PSU has accomplished in the past.

Shane Griffith...now that's a Hollywood story.

I like Griffith's story too, plus the all bl;ack singlet.

Saturday night was a Penn State infomercial. PSU constantly winning matches, the biggest matches. Could not have gone better. 

I like Griffith's story too, plus the all bl;ack singlet.
Saturday night was a Penn State infomercial. PSU constantly winning matches, the biggest matches. Could not have gone better. 

Tbar I give you credit to keep coming here and mixing it up with so many dopes.

It’s amazing Iowa fans can’t understand why we were thrilled with the outcome Saturday night.

The team title was won prior to finals, we get it, congrats Iowa!

The finals is for crowning individual national champs. Like you said “Hollywood Ending.” We knocked off two Iowa wrestlers that were seeded above us, knocked off Fix who some people were saying “next topic” and Brooks finally may get ranked #1 by Flo. 4 for 4 is amazing and anyone to try to diminish that is just sour apples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I thought Hollywood did a better job in their 5-for-5 year:

• Nickal over Dean
  • Hall over Jordan
  • Cenzo pinning IMar
  • Zain being Zain
  • Nolf being Nolf

Yeah this is kinda what I was getting at.   How could Hollywood "not have made it up" when they've literally done the same or better before?   

I guess I could be accused of "creating a narrative" but I'm not trying to diminish what PSU did as it was a great performance.  But given their/Cael's history, it's not that surprising.

13 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I thought Hollywood did a better job in their winning the final five bouts in 2017:

• Zain being Zain (TF over Mayes)
  • Nolf being Nolf (MD over LeValley)
  • Cenzo pinning IMar
  • Hall over Jordan
  • Nickal over Dean

Cenzo pinning Imar may have been the most shocking wrestling moment I have ever seen , I really didn’t think he had a chance in the world 

Edited by Antitroll2828

12 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I thought Hollywood did a better job in their winning the final five bouts in 2017:

• Zain being Zain (TF over Mayes)
  • Nolf being Nolf (MD over LeValley)
  • Cenzo pinning IMar
  • Hall over Jordan
  • Nickal over Dean

Or in 2018 when it came down to the last match between tOSU and PSU.  That was an exciting tournament. 

43 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

Tbar I give you credit to keep coming here and mixing it up with so many dopes.

It’s amazing Iowa fans can’t understand why we were thrilled with the outcome Saturday night.

The team title was won prior to finals, we get it, congrats Iowa!

The finals is for crowning individual national champs. Like you said “Hollywood Ending.” We knocked off two Iowa wrestlers that were seeded above us, knocked off Fix who some people were saying “next topic” and Brooks finally may get ranked #1 by Flo. 4 for 4 is amazing and anyone to try to diminish that is just sour apples

Pish, I do this for FUN!!!!

On 3/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, 1032004 said:

What do you mean "Hollywood couldn't make it up"?    They had a 1 seed, 2 2 seeds and a 3 seed win the title, that's not that surprising considering what PSU has accomplished in the past.

Shane Griffith...now that's a Hollywood story.

bump...any chance we see a movie made out of this year's Stanford Wrestling team?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:37 AM, TobusRex said:

Happy for the Hawkeye fans, but I was glad to see some of the Hawkeyes lose. I was glad Kemmerer lost (I didn't like that he had years more experience than his opponent). Glad Eierman lost as well, can't stand "traitors" to their original teams. 

Pulling for Kemmerer since he's always attacking and Starocci is.....not. We often see the guys who win off tough defensive wrestling get "figured out" later (Tsirtsis, Heil), so hopefully that will happen with Starocci as well.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Pulling for Kemmerer since he's always attacking and Starocci is.....not. We often see the guys who win off tough defensive wrestling get "figured out" later (Tsirtsis, Heil), so hopefully that will happen with Starocci as well.

I actually like Kemmerer, I'm just tired of seeing him wrestle for the Hawkeyes. Next year will be year 7, right? That's Van Wilder territory. 

On 3/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

Cenzo pinning Imar may have been the most shocking wrestling moment I have ever seen , I really didn’t think he had a chance in the world 

I knew it was coming. Cenzo showed no fear whatsoever of Imar and wasn't afraid to go up top with him even as a Freshman, which impressed the hell out of me. I figured he'd nail Imar sooner or later. I was mildly surprised though, and thrilled, when Cenzo pulled off that throw at NCAAs. Poor Imar, he was on schedule to be a 4 timer, and a fairly dominant one at that. 

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Kemerer doesn’t have to smoothest technique, he muscles and hustles his way to wins.  He really didn’t do anything in that finals match though.  I’m sure if he actually pulled the trigger it could have been a different outcome for him.  I think the lights got him.

And yet Starocci had more shots and came very close to winning the match in regulation.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

It’s definitely up there, I always picture Rob Rohn’s mixer in the finals for this one.

I think it comes off as being a sore loser to try and elevate 4 individual titles over the team title. 

Iowa had a better team. Better dual team and tournament team.  

I have no skin in the game. Both Iowa and Penn st beat the heck out of my buckeyes.  But give credit where it is due. The past two years Iowa has had the best team.  

3 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I think it comes off as being a sore loser to try and elevate 4 individual titles over the team title. 

Iowa had a better team. Better dual team and tournament team.  

I have no skin in the game. Both Iowa and Penn st beat the heck out of my buckeyes.  But give credit where it is due. The past two years Iowa has had the best team.  

I think there is a small sense of schadenfreude in this topic.  Kemerer and Eierman were the uncrowned kings the entire year.  That plus RBY over fix, old guard vs new guard, and Brooks being the only competitor to actually wrestle in the 184 lb. finals, it was a particularly remarkable set of wins.  Vegas odds on that set of outcomes that evening must have been very very long.

17 hours ago, Drew87 said:

It’s definitely up there, I always picture Rob Rohn’s mixer in the finals for this one.

I was there in Albany, and the crowd was still buzzing about it half-way through the next match, which featured some undefeated guy vs. Jon Trenge.