Badger Fan

Time for a Light Heavyweight Class?

4 minutes ago, Badger Fan said:

I think college wrestling should implement an 11th weight class for light heavyweight. Around 220 - 225.

I think it would be a strong weight class.  Quite a bit of talent 

Looking to get Hilger a few notches up on the podium? ;) 

37 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I wouldn't add a new class but would adjust the weights. 

This keeps it at 10 classes.  

Moves the lowest class down slightly & reduces the gap between the highest 2 weight classes (effectively creating a light heavyweight class).

Edited by Show_Me

15 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

127 - close to 57kg (125.6 lbs)
144 - closer to 65kg (143.3 lbs)
165 - close to 74kg (163.1 lbs)
190 - closer to 86kg (189.5 lbs)
205 - closer to 97kg (213.8 lbs)
285 - close to 125kg (275.5 lbs)

This keeps it at 10 classes.  Moves the lowest class slightly & reduces the gap between the highest 2 classes. 

These align better with the Olympic weights as well.

Edited by lu_alum

2 hours ago, Badger Fan said:

I think college wrestling should implement an 11th weight class for light heavyweight. Around 220 - 225.

I think it would be a strong weight class.  Quite a bit of talent 

I think 10 weights are good. But maybe more spacing.  Maybe space it out so there is a 210 and heavyweight is umlimited

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The NCAA is not going to allow more than 330 qualifiers.  Are you willing to reduce the number of national qualifiers for each weight class to 25 or 26?

Regardless of an 11th weight, The nattys should be a 24 man brackett. 33 out of 77(this yr. 33/72) make the show,thats over 43% of all participants 

11 won't happen but would help duals.  A weight between 197 and heavy would be great, in my opinion.  I know several kids personally who were stuck between being a very light 285 or have a huge cut for 197.  So, they stop wrestling, or stop competing. Of course there are ways to get big.   I don't really like when we compare " better athletes", because that depends o what you mean by a better athlete.

11 weights wouldn't help duals unfortunately.  

* Team A wins 6 weights, and techs in all 6 matches = 30pts

* Team B wins 5 weighs, and pins in all 5 matches = 30pts

of course, there are numerous combinations and permutations of the scores and results, but the end is the same.  Some type of "criteria" still needs to decide those ties.

I like the notion of aligning our US Collegiate weights with the Olympic/World Freestyle/Greco weights (freestyle moreso, given the current environment).  

I think this alignment will assist our future teams greatly.  Aspirations of nearly all highly successful collegiate wrestlers are world level accolades.  They all say it in their interviews, from the time they're in youth wrestling, to the time they win their NCAA championship(s).  

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

11 weights wouldn't help duals unfortunately.  

* Team A wins 6 weights, and techs in all 6 matches = 30pts

* Team B wins 5 weighs, and pins in all 5 matches = 30pts

of course, there are numerous combinations and permutations of the scores and results, but the end is the same.  Some type of "criteria" still needs to decide those ties.

I like the notion of aligning our US Collegiate weights with the Olympic/World Freestyle/Greco weights (freestyle moreso, given the current environment).  

I think this alignment will assist our future teams greatly.  Aspirations of nearly all highly successful collegiate wrestlers are world level accolades.  They all say it in their interviews, from the time they're in youth wrestling, to the time they win their NCAA championship(s).  

Ummm, just a thought:  maybe have the team with more match victories be the first (and only ) tiebreaker criterion?