Badger Fan

Time for a Light Heavyweight Class?

4 hours ago, Boompa said:

No no no no no

Big guys have their sports that despite being better athletes, the little guys cannot do.

No. Why punish someone for picking wrestling over football? That is an ultimate shoot-yourself-in-the-foot argument. For each single Mason Parris, you have hundreds of football players riding the pine for 5 years.

Sincerely,

Guy who was stuck between being too sucked out to even lift weights to make 197 and wayyyy too small for 285 because my name wasn't Rowlands, Lowney, or Snyder.

13 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

And who would be the notable names in a hypothetical 118 class for NCAA Div. 1 today?

I have no idea how much these guys are cutting but from the eye test, Howard, Heinselman, Courtney, and of course Lee could make 118. There are studs that probably can’t beat the starter at 125 because they are giving up too much weight that would be stars at 118. 7 pounds is a huge jump by percentage of body weight. It’s unfair to say they aren’t that great at 125 when it’s probably more a weight disparity than skill. Not many AAs at 125 would do great at 133. 

I have no idea how much these guys are cutting but from the eye test, Howard, Heinselman, Courtney, and of course Lee could make 118. There are studs that probably can’t beat the starter at 125 because they are giving up too much weight that would be stars at 118. 7 pounds is a huge jump by percentage of body weight. It’s unfair to say they aren’t that great at 125 when it’s probably more a weight disparity than skill. Not many AAs at 125 would do great at 133. 

lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Force118 said:

I see what you're saying, but it probably makes little sense to have a 118 lbs. division considering than the field at 125 was already pretty weak this year.  Furthermore, when the lowest Olympic weight is 57 kg (125.4 lbs.) we should keep the lowest NCAA weight around there as well.

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

I see what you're saying, but it probably makes little sense to have a 118 lbs. division considering than the field at 125 was already pretty weak this year.  Furthermore, when the lowest Olympic weight is 57 kg (125.4 lbs.) we should keep the lowest NCAA weight around there as well.

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

No. Why punish someone for picking wrestling over football? That is an ultimate shoot-yourself-in-the-foot argument. For each single Mason Parris, you have hundreds of football players riding the pine for 5 years.

Sincerely,

Guy who was stuck between being too sucked out to even lift weights to make 197 and wayyyy too small for 285 because my name wasn't Rowlands, Lowney, or Snyder.

Ok...bore us with more unathletic fat kids.  You do realize, you get zero sympathy from anyone who wrestled HS under 180lbs right?

There is a massive difference in the competitiveness.

But maybe you were one of those fat tweeners.  Too lazy to lift up to a weight, too lazy to cut down to the next.

6 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Ok...bore us with more unathletic fat kids.  You do realize, you get zero sympathy from anyone who wrestled HS under 180lbs right?

But maybe you were one of those fat tweeners.  Too lazy to lift up to a weight, too lazy to cut down to the next.

Mason is a better freestyle wrestler and if gable chooses wwe there's a great chance Mason represents USA at Heavyweight and could win multiple olympic and world gold's

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

125 wasn’t as weak as 133

49 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Yes, I was a fatty who walked around at 6’3 225 with a six pack. Snarky little man nuggets always made crappy comments like yours so I started eating your lunches in marathons too. Thank you next.

2 hours ago, Force118 said:

Howard aint making 118, he's gonna have a hell of a time making 125 next yr.

17 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Yes, I was a fatty who walked around at 6’3 225 with a six pack. Snarky little man nuggets always made crappy comments like yours so I started eating your lunches in marathons too. Thank you next.

Did you carry that six pack by the the plastic ring or by a can?  If I had a dollar for how many anonymous guys on message boards tout their physical prowess..........I would have a LOT of dollars!

23 hours ago, flyingcement said:

This is more like it.  We have great 103-112 high schoolers in this country who can't get up to 125.  Id rather see Bobby Weavers of the world get to shine in NCAA

118 is 125, it’s the difference between a 24 hour recovery from weighing in and one hour.  I am always  flabbergasted that people cannot grasp this. We cannot start a weight class just for Bobby Weaver and Tim Vanni. 

20 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Did you carry that six pack by the the plastic ring or by a can?  If I had a dollar for how many anonymous guys on message boards tout their physical prowess..........I would have a LOT of dollars!

It shouldn't be hard to google me and find out for yourself. Chicago, bloodround junior year, six star WMM medal. The last one should be a dead giveaway because fatties don't qualify for Boston.

No please don’t do this. 197 traditionally isn’t that great of a weight class and it’d also water down heavyweight even more.

Edited by wamba

On 3/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, Badger Fan said:

I think college wrestling should implement an 11th weight class for light heavyweight. Around 220 - 225.

I think it would be a strong weight class.  Quite a bit of talent 

Personally I would not be for adding any more than the current 10 weight classes.  However I have said - FOR DECADES - that the NCAA wrestling weight classes SHOULD be changed to the following:

125 lbs

135 lbs

145 lbs

155 lbs

165 lbs

175 lbs

185 lbs

205 lbs

235 lbs

285 lbs

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

You mean the 125 weight class that Pat McKee just took 3rd in?

Yes.  125 was deep, but it wasn't really weak.   A former AA lost in the R16, and both a guy with a win over a former national finalist and a guy who was seeded 5th in a 2020 field that included Mueller, Picc and Glory lost in the R12.  One of those guys pinned and majored the other 2021 finalist in 2 separate matches last year.   The other beat this year's 133 6th place finisher in 2019. 

So yeah, I still think 133 was weaker than 125.

57 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It shouldn't be hard to google me and find out for yourself. Chicago, bloodround junior year, six star WMM medal. The last one should be a dead giveaway because fatties don't qualify for Boston.

You are right.  It was easy!

www.tlc.com › tv-shows › my-600-lb-life