Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Pitt

Just a guess but I suppose Wentzel is finished and nino returns.  Their 2021 incoming class did well at states this year, but who knows.  Steen is most recognizable name to me.

125 - Colton Camacho/Gary Steen

133 - Philippi

141 - Cole Mathews

149 - Luke Kemerer

157 - Badgett ??

165 -  ???

174 - McGill

185 - ???

197 - Nino

Hvy - ??? - 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Just a guess but I suppose Wentzel is finished and nino returns.  Their 2021 incoming class did well at states this year, but who knows.  Steen is most recognizable name to me.

125 - Colton Camacho/Gary Steen

133 - Philippi

141 - Cole Mathews

149 - Luke Kemerer

157 - Badgett ??

165 -  ???

174 - McGill

185 - ???

197 - Nino

Hvy - ??? - 

Wentzel is coming back for the extra year. Nino is only a junior, so he's back. Good chance Greg Harvey comes back at 184 too.

149- probably Mick Burnett over Kemerer

157- Badgett or a transfer

184- Harvey

Hwt- Austin Cooley 

I'm guessing redshirts for all the freshmen. PA AAA champ Luca Augustine could certainly push McGill at 174 though.

Edited by Noodler

So seems like a very solid lineup:

125 - Colton Camacho

133 - Philippi

141 - Cole Mathews

149 - Luke Kemerer or Burnett

157 - Badgett - potential transfer

165 -  NCAA finalist Wentzel

174 - McGill

184 - Harvey

197 - NCAA Finalist Nino

Hvy - Cooley

2 hours ago, Elevator said:

So seems like a very solid lineup:

125 - Colton Camacho

133 - Philippi

141 - Cole Mathews

149 - Luke Kemerer or Burnett

157 - Badgett - potential transfer

165 -  NCAA finalist Wentzel

174 - McGill

184 - Harvey

197 - NCAA Finalist Nino

Hvy - Cooley

Looks like a top ten lineup. With a potential Verkleeren transfer at 149/157, it becomes very interesting. 

Wentzel and Harvey declined to participate in senior night activities, so unless something has changed since then all starters will return. 

I think Colby Whitehill starts at HWT as a freshman. He was injured this year so they used a mix of Slinger and Cooley (who was wrestling around maybe 210?). Two-time PA state champ who was 79-0 his last two years.

Brock McMillen also comes in as a 3-time PA state champ. Wrestled 138 last year.

16 minutes ago, SignificantACCBias said:

Wentzel and Harvey declined to participate in senior night activities, so unless something has changed since then all starters will return. 

I think Colby Whitehill starts at HWT as a freshman. He was injured this year so they used a mix of Slinger and Cooley (who was wrestling around maybe 210?). Two-time PA state champ who was 79-0 his last two years.

Brock McMillen also comes in as a 3-time PA state champ. Wrestled 138 last year.

From what I've seen/heard, Cooley handles Whitehill rather easily at HWT. Cooley is a real talent--shame he can't go 197 (his natural weight)--but Nino got too big.  

24 minutes ago, Noodler said:

From what I've seen/heard, Cooley handles Whitehill rather easily at HWT. Cooley is a real talent--shame he can't go 197 (his natural weight)--but Nino got too big.  

Nino didn't look big at all at NCAAs.  he just looked better than the gents he beat.

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Nino didn't look big at all at NCAAs.  he just looked better than the gents he beat.

Nino is bulking, but 184 would have been a serious pull that didn't make sense for him personally. I thought he looked pretty big at NCAAs. Bigger than the guys he wrestled anyway

I am enthusiastic about Pitt's team and program and nice to hear their facilities are being improved.   I think the school and campus are outstanding and a great value for wrestle-families.

19 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I am enthusiastic about Pitt's team and program and nice to hear their facilities are being improved.   I think the school and campus are outstanding and a great value for wrestle-families.

Pitt is so underrated as a school.  Both of my Kids loved their visits and one enrolled.  Really enjoy our visits to Pittsburgh.  My Pitt Student covered the Championships in 2019 for The Pitt News.   

On 3/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, Casey said:

Why do you think Wentzel is not coming back?

There was an episode of CRIMINAL MINDS wherein the (female, pretty rare on the show) seemed to be killing because she had to play soccer for Pitt instead of Penn State. Quoting  one of the agents "Pitt is good but no Penn State."  

I can't imagine how pissed a Pitt grad should have been, especially as there average SATs are like 40 higher. 

Pitt's men soccer is outstanding and on the rise. I think Jason Nolf's wife was on the PSU womens' soccer team.   I am not sure if they play, but I think the Pitt mens' soccer would be at least an even match with PSU. Both have very good coaches and programs. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Hopefully Phillippi can get on the podium assuming he comes back.  This is the second year he was seeded in the top 5 and finished R12.

IMO, he just needs to find a bit more offense in neutral against quality opponents.  Very tough on the mat.  Hoping he AA’s next season.