Sign in to follow this  
buf87

2 year Missions

How do the guys that go on 2 year missions get around the 5 years to compete 4 seasons rule?

I thought Matt Brown went through redshirt year at Iowa State, then went on 2 year mission and is considered a redshirt sophomore now.

The same exemption applies to military service and "recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government." I'm not advocating for or against the rule, just stating what it is. Somebody lobbied hard, apparently. It's been the rule for many years, although I don't know exactly when it was instituted.

If you are not going to have an age limit, what is the difference? There is no competitive advantage to a mission aside from being older, if that is an advantage.

I think the two year mission tends to hurt wrestlers, actually. I think it can help athletes in some other sports.

How can it be a disadvantage? You basically get three redshirt years, allowing you to compete from age 21-24 against kids 2-3 years younger than you. It's a bit silly

In the case of LDS missions its 2 years with no association with your sport. It's not like a day job that you can go workout after hours and on weekends. You may wind up putting in a fair number of miles on a bicycle in a dress shirt and tie. :)

I believe no one has ever won a title having interrupted their eligibility clock with a mission, although several have placed second.

for us members not of faith what exaactly is a mission?

Can't speak for them, as I'm not LDS, but it is two years service for the church in whatever capacity and locality that church leadership chooses. Some may be sent to South Dakota, others to South Africa. All males are expected to serve, and I understand a fair number of women do also.

I'll shut up now, and hope an outgoing LDS member does a better job of explanation, or can point out an informational resource.

for us members not of faith what exaactly is a mission?

What exactly does a Mormon do on their mission? Is this a requirement of the church or is this optional? Please forgive the ignorance as I do not know much about mission work.

How can it be a disadvantage? You basically get three redshirt years, allowing you to compete from age 21-24 against kids 2-3 years younger than you. It's a bit silly

Yeah, because Dake and Sanderson as freshmen struggled against those older guys.

How about this? Redshirt, Olympic Redshirt, 2 year mission, 2 years varsity, Olympic RS again, 3rd year varsity, Med RS, 4th year varsity? Is that possible?

A two year mission is were a kid gives up two years of his live to go serve his church. During the two years you do strictly work for your church. This service is very rigid and you are not given much time to do anything other than the service that you are sent out to do.

6:30 Wake-up exercise

7:00 Shower breakfast

8:00 Religious Study

10:00 Church service

9:00pm Return Home from service

10:30 pm Lights Out

That is every day other than one day a week were you are allowed the hours between 10 am and 6 pm to email your family, do your shopping, and get done all the other task needed to be completed. As you can see from the schedule and the demands that these young men have on them that their is actually little time to ever work out. So many of you say that a mission is an advantage I believe it hurts when it comes to wrestling because it takes a year for most of these young men to even get their body's back into shape after they get home. And from my experience with wrestlers that have gone on a mission they are a lot more injuries prone when they return.

Now you can ask yourself do you think that you would be a better wrestler after two years of not touching the mat, and not being able to really train fully. You do get a little time to kinda get some exercise in and you can ride a lot of miles on a bike depending on your mission.

Now you can ask yourself do you think that you would be a better wrestler after two years of not touching the mat, and not being able to really train fully.

Adding....well do ya, punk?

Now that post is great!

Yeah, because Dake and Sanderson as freshmen struggled against those older guys.

How about this? Redshirt, Olympic Redshirt, 2 year mission, 2 years varsity, Olympic RS again, 3rd year varsity, Med RS, 4th year varsity? Is that possible?

As unlikely as that is, it is possible.

Because two years away from wrestling hurts more kids that it helps. During a mission it is really easy to get away from the grind that kids knew in high school and college wrestling. And while these kids come back older, they don't come back with any more wrestling experience than they had when they left. The mission time is not equivalent to a redshirt year because a redshirt spends that year on the mat. A missionary does not. Also, a lot of kids experience a change in mindset and it can be really tough for them to want to get back on the mat. Brown is an obvious exception. Justin Ruiz, Ben Kjar and Andrew Hochstrasser all had success after their missions, as well, as did Luke Lofthouse (to an extent). But even though each of those guys had success, I think they had it in spite of their mission time rather than because of it.

No, on a technicality. If you straight up use a RS year then med hardship to use injured year as RS is gone. You already used it. Also gone is the occasional 6th year granted to athletes who have lost 2 years to injury, one as the RS (often referred to as med RS).

I do wonder if this would work: HS prodigy (surprise US open champ) enters school and suffers season ending injury during first week of season: Med RS, Oly RS, 2 yr mission, competes 2 yrs, second Oly RS, competes one year, loses a second year to injury just before season, competes in fourth season (having been granted hardship for losing two full years to injury, one using the granted RS)? That's ten years from starting school. I don't know if an athlete is able to use more than one Oly RS exemption to the eligibility rules, or not.

Edit: med RS, Oly RS, 2 yr mission, 1 yr compete, 2nd Oly RS, 2yr compete, lose second yr to injury, 3rd Oly RS, compete in last of four NCAA eligible seasons having been granted med hardship for the two lost seasons. That's 11 years. And in a world where wrestling remains in the Olympic$...

I believe you start collecting social security after that point.

I believe you start collecting social security after that point.

Hah! Young Whippersnapper, see my post above.