Jump to content
jp157

Transfer portal

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Flo posted it. Outside the obvious Stanford and Fresno guys. There seems to be a lot of guys transferring out of Campbell

Kolat, one of the better young coaches, left.  It doesn't matter how good of a coach you arenor are going to be, losing Kolat as a coach will make it suck for a lot of returning athletes.  He was a great mental mentor as well.  They lost a lot when they lost him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jp157 said:

Flo posted it. Outside the obvious Stanford and Fresno guys. There seems to be a lot of guys transferring out of Campbell

For Campbell, here's who is listed:

Seth Lambers: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Joshua Scott: not on current roster, listed as a RS SO in portal but doesn't even appear to have a wrestlestat page

Josh Wilson: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Austin Almaguer: not on current roster, no matches this year, 7-7 as a redshirt last year with most of his wins against non D1 guys 

Michael Ferree: not on current roster but was 5-0 in extra matches this year, 25-14 in opens in 2019 and 2020

Jack Ervien: not on current roster but was 2-2 in extra matches this year, 4-5 as a redshirt last year

Ethan Baney: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Austin Kraisser: 24-9 last year but 1-5 this year and 0-2 at Socons; he's also listed as a redshirt senior and grad transfer and probably worth noting that who I assume is his brother is NOT in the portal despite being a sophomore that was a postseason starter for them in 2020 but not 2021

Robert Pryhocki: 0-2 in extra matches this year, 9-23 career record

Diavantae Reddick: 1-0 in an extra match this year, 7-16 career record

Basically, Kraisser is the only notable name and it's likely so that he can go to grad school.  It is interesting that guys that wrestled in matches this year are already off the roster though.  But I imagine some (most?) of these are because they were pretty far down the depth chart.

 

Other notable names:
Kizhan Clarke

Gas Tank Gary

Jared Krattiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

For Campbell, here's who is listed:

Seth Lambers: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Joshua Scott: not on current roster, listed as a RS SO in portal but doesn't even appear to have a wrestlestat page

Josh Wilson: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Austin Almaguer: not on current roster, no matches this year, 7-7 as a redshirt last year with most of his wins against non D1 guys 

Michael Ferree: not on current roster but was 5-0 in extra matches this year, 25-14 in opens in 2019 and 2020

Jack Ervien: not on current roster but was 2-2 in extra matches this year, 4-5 as a redshirt last year

Ethan Baney: not on current roster, no matches on wrestlestat

Austin Kraisser: 24-9 last year but 1-5 this year and 0-2 at Socons; he's also listed as a redshirt senior and grad transfer and probably worth noting that who I assume is his brother is NOT in the portal despite being a sophomore that was a postseason starter for them in 2020 but not 2021

Robert Pryhocki: 0-2 in extra matches this year, 9-23 career record

Diavantae Reddick: 1-0 in an extra match this year, 7-16 career record

Basically, Kraisser is the only notable name and it's likely so that he can go to grad school.  It is interesting that guys that wrestled in matches this year are already off the roster though.  But I imagine some (most?) of these are because they were pretty far down the depth chart.

 

Other notable names:
Kizhan Clarke

Gas Tank Gary

Jared Krattiger

Thank you. I honestly had no clue and just saw all the Campbell names and was kinda shocked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kolat recruited a ton of guys, many of whom weren't really D1 level wrestlers. They were there to fill out the room and pay tuition. I think it's a combination of losing the coach who recruited you and finding out you're never going to be in the lineup.

Kolat, at age 47, is not some young hotshot up and comer. I'll be interested to see how he does at Navy with more resources and a higher profile team. I think his accomplishments are a little inflated by some on this forum, but he certainly improved Campbell quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Kolat recruited a ton of guys, many of whom weren't really D1 level wrestlers. They were there to fill out the room and pay tuition. I think it's a combination of losing the coach who recruited you and finding out you're never going to be in the lineup.

Kolat, at age 47, is not some young hotshot up and comer. I'll be interested to see how he does at Navy with more resources and a higher profile team. I think his accomplishments are a little inflated by some on this forum, but he certainly improved Campbell quite a bit.

Also not easy recruiting top guys to the service academies. I think Kolat is a good fit there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Kolat recruited a ton of guys, many of whom weren't really D1 level wrestlers. They were there to fill out the room and pay tuition. I think it's a combination of losing the coach who recruited you and finding out you're never going to be in the lineup.

Kolat, at age 47, is not some young hotshot up and comer. I'll be interested to see how he does at Navy with more resources and a higher profile team. I think his accomplishments are a little inflated by some on this forum, but he certainly improved Campbell quite a bit.

I don’t think they’re too inflated. It’s the question of relative success and that he took a nearly cut program giving up 5+ forfeits to beating the perennial top 2 teams in the conference year in and year out plus the other stuff.

Now is it “big 10” standards no. But only holding schools and wrestlers to that kind of standard is a big part of why the sport is shrinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Kolat recruited a ton of guys, many of whom weren't really D1 level wrestlers. They were there to fill out the room and pay tuition. I think it's a combination of losing the coach who recruited you and finding out you're never going to be in the lineup.

 

I wonder if they trimmed the roster size this season due to covid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don’t think they’re too inflated. It’s the question of relative success and that he took a nearly cut program giving up 5+ forfeits to beating the perennial top 2 teams in the conference year in and year out plus the other stuff.

Now is it “big 10” standards no. But only holding schools and wrestlers to that kind of standard is a big part of why the sport is shrinking 

Navy hasn't wrestled Cornell (who, along with Lehigh, are the only real "perennial top 2 teams in the conference") in a dual, much less beaten them.  They haven't finished ahead of Cornell at the EIWA tournament since 1994.

Other than this year against a decidedly sub-par team, Navy typically loses to Lehigh by a wide margin in their dual.

Who do you think are the "perennial top 2 teams in the conference?"

Navy went 6-20 at this weekend's NCAA tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, klehner said:

Navy hasn't wrestled Cornell (who, along with Lehigh, are the only real "perennial top 2 teams in the conference") in a dual, much less beaten them.  They haven't finished ahead of Cornell at the EIWA tournament since 1994.

Other than this year against a decidedly sub-par team, Navy typically loses to Lehigh by a wide margin in their dual.

Who do you think are the "perennial top 2 teams in the conference?"

Navy went 6-20 at this weekend's NCAA tournament.

I assume he is referencing SoCon top 2 teams. 
  
campbell was really terrible prior to Kolat. They quickly rose to the top of the socon, got quite a few qualifiers and even an AA. This is with pretty terrible recruits. Way worse than Navy recruits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, klehner said:

Navy hasn't wrestled Cornell (who, along with Lehigh, are the only real "perennial top 2 teams in the conference") in a dual, much less beaten them.  They haven't finished ahead of Cornell at the EIWA tournament since 1994.

Other than this year against a decidedly sub-par team, Navy typically loses to Lehigh by a wide margin in their dual.

Who do you think are the "perennial top 2 teams in the conference?"

Navy went 6-20 at this weekend's NCAA tournament.

So Navy was almost cut and giving up 5+ forfeits and getting shut out by Chattanooga and getting blown out by app state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I assume he is referencing SoCon top 2 teams. 
  
campbell was really terrible prior to Kolat. They quickly rose to the top of the socon, got quite a few qualifiers and even an AA. This is with pretty terrible recruits. Way worse than Navy recruits. 

Yup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, klehner said:

Navy hasn't wrestled Cornell (who, along with Lehigh, are the only real "perennial top 2 teams in the conference") in a dual, much less beaten them.  They haven't finished ahead of Cornell at the EIWA tournament since 1994.

Other than this year against a decidedly sub-par team, Navy typically loses to Lehigh by a wide margin in their dual.

Who do you think are the "perennial top 2 teams in the conference?"

Navy went 6-20 at this weekend's NCAA tournament.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to Campbell and not Navy.  It's going to be almost impossible to consistently beat Cornell, lehigh, or  Princeton in the EIWA given the post grad commitment required in the service academies.  But I think Kolat will perform amazingly in that environment given the circumstances, and he has a lot of experience with the Maryland area. I bet he will be able to bring back the popularity of Navy wrestling camps as well. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see Gas Tank Gary ending up at a Big 12 or getting some MACtion. He proved he belonged last year and wish him the best. I wonder if this means that Singletary is going to put some weight back on and go back to heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Verk at Pitt would be nice to see.  Curious if he would stay at 149 or go up/down.  They have Kemererererer at 149 and Matthews at 141.  Would Kemererererer go to 157 and Verk slide in, or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Verk at Pitt would be nice to see.  Curious if he would stay at 149 or go up/down.  They have Kemererererer at 149 and Matthews at 141.  Would Kemererererer go to 157 and Verk slide in, or what?

I think it's Verk's choice. He could beat Pitt's 149 and 157. For Pitt, it's better that he go 157, as Mick Burnett has a lot of potential at 149, but is growing into the weight. Kemerer either bumps to 157 or backs up Burnett at 149 IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I could see Gas Tank Gary ending up at a Big 12 or getting some MACtion. He proved he belonged last year and wish him the best. I wonder if this means that Singletary is going to put some weight back on and go back to heavy.

AA Orndorff is back next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Noodler said:

I think it's Verk's choice. He could beat Pitt's 149 and 157. For Pitt, it's better that he go 157, as Mick Burnett has a lot of potential at 149, but is growing into the weight. Kemerer either bumps to 157 or backs up Burnett at 149 IMO.

Verk has diabetes.  He has a very controlled lifestyle as far as diet goes, so I don't think him going up or down is as easy or as ideal as staying at 149lbs.  He never really cut for 149lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...