jp157

Transfer portal

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Saw PSU's faculty council just voted to recommend a vaccine mandate for this year. Wonder what Max Dean does if the president follows through.

Freedom!

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Saw PSU's faculty council just voted to recommend a vaccine mandate for this year. Wonder what Max Dean does if the president follows through.

While that might be a thing, I imagine the way that the administration will present it will be waaaaay more middle of the road less hard line than they would at a school like cornell.

Edited by Drew87

5 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

While that might be a thing, I imagine the way that the administration will present it will be waaaaay more middle of the road less hard line than they would at a school like cornell.

The school president will follow the herd. 

On 5/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, Le duke said:

Oh I'm not saying that Askren did anything wrong here, and I'm not saying I doubt his side of the story.

That said, Askren could have absolutely nothing to do with why Wick left. He could be heading home to sunny SLO because he misses the local carnitas or to State College because he wants a team trophy. Or something else entirely.

I think Wick has been in California for the entire year.  He may have formed some negative opinions of the coaching staff prior to officially entering the portal.

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Thanks for posting the info! Anyone following trends in education should have seen this coming a mile away.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:54 PM, npope said:

Okay. But Amos isn't coming off a red-shirt year but rather, he simply has deferred enrollment until this coming year - he has his complete eligibility still intact. While Amos has great upside and is a tremendous "get" for Wisconsin, he has yet to step on the mat for Bucky and the path to success is littered with guys who "couldn't miss." So, I don't think the Badgers need a "replacement" star for Wick but rather, Wisconsin was looking to "make a move" this year with a loaded lineup...and I think they are (now) still two new bodies away from fulfilling that promise; still too many holes now that Wick is leaving town.

There were no redshirts last year right?  So grayshirting/deferring enrollment would’ve been the closest thing.

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

a friend with contacts in the administration said that the impression he gets is that they won't, actually

On 5/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, Le duke said:

Most of my wife’s (top 10) law school friends were Lit or English majors. Turns out, being able to read and write is important in that profession. Also, STEM majors were the most likely to fail out.

my experience was that engineers and journalists did very well because they wrote simple, tight sentences. 

On 5/11/2021 at 1:56 AM, potentiallydangerous said:

Too bad Wick left, his statement says a lot, he said Madison is a great place in the summer.

link to the statement, please. 

On 5/11/2021 at 12:54 PM, npope said:

While Amos has great upside and is a tremendous "get" for Wisconsin, he has yet to step on the mat for Bucky and the path to success is littered with guys who "couldn't miss."

from what I saw him do at Junior and Senior Nats, I won't be betting against him. 

9 hours ago, ugarte said:

a friend with contacts in the administration said that the impression he gets is that they won't, actually

The school president has always fallen in line, so I will be pleasantly surprised if this is any different.

Edited by TBar1977

32 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The school president has always fallen in line, so I will be pleasantly surprised if this is any different.

There's also a desperation to "return to normal" at these schools. My administration has already announced that is the plan for the fall. It would not surprise me if they see a vaccine mandate as the path to be able to do that without risking large outbreaks. The feeling here is that it will probably be mandatory, but who knows.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

There's also a desperation to "return to normal" at these schools. My administration has already announced that is the plan for the fall. It would not surprise me if they see a vaccine mandate as the path to be able to do that without risking large outbreaks. The feeling here is that it will probably be mandatory, but who knows.

The issue is that about 25 percent say they are not interested in the vaccine. The CDC messaging on this isn't helping. Then you have the fact that those who are vaccinated are acting more scared than those that are not. Plenty of polling out on that count. 

Wonder if there will be exemptions for people who choose not to get the vaccine (due to religious/personal/health/etc.) to still attend if they in fact mandate vaccines to go to school at certain colleges?

My feelings at this point...do whatever we need to do to get back "normal"!!  But balance that with those who have specific reasons for not vaccinating, wearing masks, etc.

I AM NOT AGAINST THE VACCINE!!  (I am vaccinated)

24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The issue is that about 25 percent say they are not interested in the vaccine. The CDC messaging on this isn't helping. Then you have the fact that those who are vaccinated are acting more scared than those that are not. Plenty of polling out on that count. 

This is just an observation, but it seems to me that throughout this whole thing, the people screaming most about others "living in fear" (and I'm not saying you are one of these), are actually the ones living in the most feared, 'paranoid' state.

Edited by Lurker

27 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Then there will be more resources left over for the 75% of us who survive. 

Edit: obv that 25% number is dramatically inflated, only the fringiest of the fringe people are anti-vaxxers. They might reach double digits, but nowhere near 25%. 

Edited by DBHoops

31 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

There will definitely be exemptions, but I'm guessing the idea is to get the number of vaxxed students as high as possible. If we take your 25% (just for the example), if half of that is just due to a general apathy towards the vax and not a strong opposition, they could get their vax numbers up to 85-90%. Realistically, only a small number would probably put up a significant fight at all if the alternative means not coming to school and if the vax is mandated, you'd be looking at at least a 95%+ rate. At a big ten school with 45k students, that's potentially an extra 10k+ students you theoretically don't have to worry about causing outbreaks.

As to your point about who is more scared, people who got vaxxed inherently believe that the pandemic is serious in the first place. If you don't get vaxxed, you probably think it's overblown, fake, or not dangerous for you personally. It would be surprising if this second group was more afraid than the first because they were never scared in the first place. And the people who got vaxxed are mostly still afraid because they know about the people who didn't. With that being said, I really think you're overestimating how many vaxxed people are actually "afraid" at this point.

17 minutes ago, DBHoops said:

Maybe this was a joke, if not, gtf outta here with that snarkery

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

my experience was that engineers and journalists did very well because they wrote simple, tight sentences.

Professions that both require and reward such styles of writing...on the flip side have ever seen a contract not 10x longer than it feels like it needs to be?  Lawyers have to wrote excessively verbose language, and be comfortable doing so, just to satisfy legal requirements.

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

Professions that both require and reward such styles of writing...on the flip side have ever seen a contract not 10x longer than it feels like it needs to be?  Lawyers have to wrote excessively verbose language, and be comfortable doing so, just to satisfy legal requirements.

Oh man this is so true!!

13 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

Are you saying the president has "herd immunity?"

3 hours ago, DBHoops said:

Edit: obv that 25% number is dramatically inflated, only the fringiest of the fringe people are anti-vaxxers. They might reach double digits, but nowhere near 25%. 

My wording may not have been as precise as could be, but this AP article from 2 days ago claims :

Just 11% of people who remain unvaccinated say they definitely will get the shot, while 34% say they definitely won’t, according to the poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

That leaves a large swath of Americans in the middle who might still roll up their sleeves — including 27% who say they probably will and 27% who say they probably won’t — if someone credible addressed their concerns. 

Poll: Most in US who remain unvaccinated need convincing (apnews.com)

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

My wording may not have been as precise as could be, but this AP article from 2 days ago claims :

Just 11% of people who remain unvaccinated say they definitely will get the shot, while 34% say they definitely won’t, according to the poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

That leaves a large swath of Americans in the middle who might still roll up their sleeves — including 27% who say they probably will and 27% who say they probably won’t — if someone credible addressed their concerns. 

Poll: Most in US who remain unvaccinated need convincing (apnews.com)

This is exactly why you might see universities mandate it. 65% of those who haven't gotten it are still up in the air somewhat.