jp157

Transfer portal

7 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Some people didn't pay attention during junior high science when their teach taught about the scientific method. Even my teacher in 1876 talked about it.

This is true, unfortunately a lot of those people are now employed as scientists...

Edited by Drew87

3 minutes ago, BobDole said:

By employed you mean "think" they are scientists on Facebook, Twitter, and this forum.

Lol nah, sorry I could have put a finer point on that.

I was referring to the way that science, and prevailing use of the scientific method has become very commercialized and outcome oriented in academic settings, what with grant money and careers in the balance, p-hacking in statistical analysis and the inordinate amount of papers that are agenda driven and/or have findings cannot be recreated by other scientists.

In the past two decades the nature of “science” has become much less hands off respect the process and we will find what we find, and much more “how hard can you squeeze the numbers, I need to publish in the upcoming issue”

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

I was referring to the way that science, and prevailing use of the scientific method has become very commercialized and outcome oriented in academic settings, what with grant money and careers in the balance, p-hacking in statistical analysis and the inordinate amount of papers that are agenda driven and/or have findings cannot be recreated by other scientists.

In the past two decades the nature of “science” has become much less hands off respect the process and we will find what we find, and much more “how hard can you squeeze the numbers, I need to publish in the upcoming issue”

You hate capitalism then.

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I am an academic. The content of your comment leads me to believe that you must also travel in similar circles. Here's a riddle for you. What similar attributes do data and a prisoner share? The answer? Both will tell you exactly what you want to hear if you torture either of them long enough.

Edited by npope
typo

46 minutes ago, npope said:

I am an academic. The content of your comment leads me to believe that you must also travel in similar circles. Here's a riddle for you. What similar attributes do data and a prisoner share? The answer? Both will tell you exactly what you want to hear if you torture either of them long enough.

Haha that is a good one, I have never heard that before.

2 hours ago, BobDole said:

I usually prefer to be asked my thoughts rather than have someone divine them incorrectly, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am sorry to say, you have neither read my mind nor read and considered what I wrote very carefully...either that or that you are just an angry scientist afraid that the masses will discover there are no clothes beneath the lab coat.

I am referring to the realm of scientific exploration in the hard sciences for the sake of scientific investigation itself, rather than for commercial use, which I could have made more clear.

15 hours ago, calot said:

Kinner will be at 141 

Yeah I’m guessing 41, 49 at heaviest….. two years ago he looked good against Phillipi at 33 until he gassed out for cutting too much, then he beat berge that same year at 57….. too bad he couldn’t stay at tOSU but they already have D’Emilio and Echemendia at that weight 

4 hours ago, Kov88 said:

Yeah I’m guessing 41, 49 at heaviest….. two years ago he looked good against Phillipi at 33 until he gassed out for cutting too much, then he beat berge that same year at 57….. too bad he couldn’t stay at tOSU but they already have D’Emilio and Echemendia at that weight 

Which is why I think he is going 149. 

On 5/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, BobDole said:

That's not capitalism.  It's corporate cronyism.  Under it all, with the reference of "sciences" being commercialized, it's not necessarily the "companies" that are calling the shots.  Government funding, subsidies, picking winners/losers, etc.  It's much more broad than to say it's "Capitalism" or that it's not.  It's not.  It's "Corporate Cronyism".  Universities and institutions are also falling prey to the same disease.  

You can't walk more than 2 feet until you find that you're not woke enough, and someone is going to out-woke you on a college campus. The fanaticism is divine... 

3 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

That's not capitalism.  It's corporate cronyism.  Under it all, with the reference of "sciences" being commercialized, it's not necessarily the "companies" that are calling the shots.  Government funding, subsidies, picking winners/losers, etc.  It's much more broad than to say it's "Capitalism" or that it's not.  It's not.  It's "Corporate Cronyism".  Universities and institutions are also falling prey to the same disease.  

You can't walk more than 2 feet until you find that you're not woke enough, and someone is going to out-woke you on a college campus. The fanaticism is divine... 

What does being 'woke' mean?