jp157

Transfer portal

36 minutes ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Id say a welding degree has about 25x more value then the following...

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

I can keep going if needed...

Hurtful.  

42 minutes ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

As someone who has a major in one of the listed courses of study and a minor in another, I concur!

1 hour ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

Well sure ... but how does it stack up against an Undecided major from a prestigious university like say Michigan or Cornell?  ;_;

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

There are degrees for welding? 

As silly as it sounds, yes.  Before you can even start an apprenticeship, many unions/jobsites require some sort of a degree.  Even a 2 year CC degree suffices in many scenarios to help get your foot in the door.

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

I would say a degree in welding would have NO value, though knowing how to weld and perhaps a certificate might. As for the majors your deride, that's pure ignorance. There are MANY successful people with those degrees. So stop while you are behind.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

I would say a degree in welding would have NO value, though knowing how to weld and perhaps a certificate might. As for the majors your deride, that's pure ignorance. There are MANY successful people with those degrees. So stop while you are behind.

Nice comment - My dad was a welder for awhile... worked hard ... put food on the table - made a decent living.  

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

With a literature degree the obvious differences between Then and Than are clarified.  May not bring in significant extra cash though. 

48 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Speaking of ignorance. 

Silly me I was under the impression that this was a thread for discussions about who has most recently entered the transfer portal.    But looking at the nitwittery that's been taking place here recently I'm very clearly just plain wrong about that.

tbh i wasn't deriding welding as a skill or a profession. they probably like their jobs more than i do and make more in the good years. it was a surprise to see as a "major" though.

I am guessing there is a good chance he is taking a "less academic" major in Junior College to give him a chance to improve his English and adapt to the US as I am sure it is a big change from Mongolia.  

5 hours ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

No need to mention degrees , welding could in fact be 25xs better than some degrees but If he aint a good welder, it wont matter what degrees or certificates he has.  

The trades here in the US will be in great demand in the future.  Many who are in the trades are aging out and will retire soon.  There arent enough people currently being trained or going to school to replace them.   

I did some welding at a factory, but it didn't require a degree. Another employee showed me how to make the welds, I practiced for a couple minutes, and that was it. But it was just welding 1 piece of wire to another, I forget what that specific type welding is called.  Anyway I sporadically welded at work for a few years, mixed in with my regular job. 

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I did some welding at a factory, but it didn't require a degree. Another employee showed me how to make the welds, I practiced for a couple minutes, and that was it. But it was just welding 1 piece of wire to another, I forget what that specific type welding is called.  Anyway I sporadically welded at work for a few years, mixed in with my regular job. 

What you describe is soldering which is a far cry from welding.

8 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

What you describe is soldering which is a far cry from welding.

Naw, different. It was welding but on wire that was .030 - .080 gauge, was working at a wire factory that produced bead wire for radial tires and weld wire. I've done soldering before on electronics, it's a totally different thing. 

Edited by TobusRex

Since underwater has been mentioned, underwater welding is one of the most dangerous jobs. Some make north of 300K in that line of work. Things that make our lives easier they keep running. 

Unlike many university grads who push papers around or bark at people all day long, they actually do something useful.