jp157

Transfer portal

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Since underwater has been mentioned, underwater welding is one of the most dangerous jobs. Some make north of 300K in that line of work. Things that make our lives easier they keep running. 

Unlike many university grads who push papers around or bark at people all day long, they actually do something useful.

Have a friend of mine who fixes bridges. Dangerous job but he makes big money doing it. 

10 minutes ago, calot said:

Have a friend of mine who fixes bridges. Dangerous job but he makes big money doing it. 

And we get to drive over those bridges every day. Tell your friend someone offers a simple "thank you". 

11 hours ago, LowSingleOTW said:

Id say a welding degree has about 25x more value then the following...

Philosophy 

Literature 

General Studies

Political Science

I can keep going if needed...

Don’t get mad because you didn’t read the terms of the agreement or have an exit plan.  What you study is ALWAYS secondary to how you learn to think and whether or not you had a front to back gameplan for what you were going to do during summers and after college.  

I hear this argument day and night, usually coming from people who believe they are owed something for “having put in the work,” which is nonsense.  A major is no more indicator if a caliber of human being or intellect than hair color.  

College is a tool.  You don’t get mad at a hammer when you hit your own fingers.  Don’t be stereotypically ignorant enough to say majors are useless, bc your major has zero relation to what you do in the future once you have worked for a year.  Blaming majors and saying certain types of education are useless just means you haven’t done the homework to have a vision for how they are useful.

Such an assertion also typically hinges on the value judgement that money, and accumulation of same, is the only  meaningful pursuit a person can have in life, which while common, is a woefully simplistic and incomplete approach to life for many.

Edited by Drew87

3 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I just learned that Arizona State has a hockey team. Who would have thought?  So maybe they now offer on ice basket weaving for those wanting a new challenge. 

Mario Lemeiux's son plays or played on it. UofEh as we call them down in Tucson actually had classes in underwater basket weaving. 

47 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And we get to drive over those bridges every day. Tell your friend someone offers a simple "thank you". 

https://dailygazette.com/2017/04/04/thruway-bridge-collapse-of-1987-it-sounded-like-a-bomb-going-off/

Drove over this one in a horrible rainstorm hours before it collapse.  Was coming home from a fairly high level freestyle tournament, where I had managed to do pretty well.  When people complain of crews doing maintenance on bridges that takes months and months, I bring up this situation.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

https://dailygazette.com/2017/04/04/thruway-bridge-collapse-of-1987-it-sounded-like-a-bomb-going-off/

Drove over this one in a horrible rainstorm hours before it collapse.  Was coming home from a fairly high level freestyle tournament, where I had managed to do pretty well.  When people complain of crews doing maintenance on bridges that takes months and months, I bring up this situation.

Bridges are indeed infrastructure, and no one needs a political science degree to figure that one out.

5 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Don’t get mad because you didn’t read the terms of the agreement or have an exit plan.  What you study is ALWAYS secondary to how you learn to think and whether or not you had a front to back gameplan for what you were going to do during summers and after college.  

I hear this argument day and night, usually coming from people who believe they are owed something for “having put in the work,” which is nonsense.  A major is no more indicator if a caliber of human being or intellect than hair color.  

College is a tool.  You don’t get mad at a hammer when you hit your own fingers.  Don’t be stereotypically ignorant enough to say majors are useless, bc your major has zero relation to what you do in the future once you have worked for a year.  Blaming majors and saying certain types of education are useless just means you haven’t done the homework to have a vision for how they are useful.

Such an assertion also typically hinges on the value judgement that money, and accumulation of same, is the only  meaningful pursuit a person can have in life, which while common, is a woefully simplistic and incomplete approach to life for many.

Very Philosophical.

6 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

Very Philosophical.

lol, nice.

I can’t help getting a bit type-happy about it, so many people approach college as “the golden ticket” bc they’ve been told it’s the promised land, which is sad and misinformed, bc it’s largely misinformed, it’s like beauticians being sold allen wrenches or lumberjacks being programmed to buy scuba gear...I just wish critical thinking was brought to the table a bit more, and earlier in the process.

18 hours ago, Drew87 said:

lol, nice.

I can’t help getting a bit type-happy about it, so many people approach college as “the golden ticket” bc they’ve been told it’s the promised land, which is sad and misinformed, bc it’s largely misinformed, it’s like beauticians being sold allen wrenches or lumberjacks being programmed to buy scuba gear...I just wish critical thinking was brought to the table a bit more, and earlier in the process.

Before I changed my major in college, critical thinking was frowned upon in my department.

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

Anyone have any insight into why he is looking to make a move?

Where is Frank Chamizo training currently? It seemed like they were training partners for the past year.

Otherwise, where is his younger brother looking?

Edited by Drew87

Most of my wife’s (top 10) law school friends were Lit or English majors. Turns out, being able to read and write is important in that profession. Also, STEM majors were the most likely to fail out.

They also know the proper use of “than” and “then”.

Also, according a public records search, my sister, B.S., PoliSci, had a base salary of $430,000+ last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Where is Frank Chamizo training currently? It seemed like they were training partners for the past year.

Otherwise, where is his younger brother looking?

Cal Poly. And with Bernie Truax as a training partner maybe it’s a possibility. 

Speaking of Truax what a performance he had at NCAAs. He wrestled very impressively. 

On 5/5/2021 at 6:55 PM, Drew87 said:

I don’t disagree in general.. but a lot of kids aren’t given the advice or info they need to make pragmatic choices. A lot get sucked into paths they wouldn’t with more honest advice or if they were in healthier environments. 

However, I’m saying this as someone who got a history degree to teach. I knew teaching was only pathway and income of that degree. I knew how much I could get from the trades. My dad was a carpenter and in construction and I could’ve gone into them.

Im not saying that rich ass suburban, liberal arts major, limousine liberal who has ton of debt due to stupidity doesn’t exist. But I think a lot of people are underestimating how few of the kids not from rich neighborhoods get the actual advice they need

18 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

16-17 redshirted

17-18  3rd NCAAs

18-19  4th NCAAs

19-20  NCAAs cancelled...season counts

20-21  Olympic redshirts during this free year.

Wouldn't that just leave him one year?

It certainly reads like it now. LOL

4 hours ago, jp157 said:

I don’t disagree in general.. but a lot of kids aren’t given the advice or info they need to make pragmatic choices. A lot get sucked into paths they wouldn’t with more honest advice or if they were in healthier environments. 

However, I’m saying this as someone who got a history degree to teach. I knew teaching was only pathway and income of that degree. I knew how much I could get from the trades. My dad was a carpenter and in construction and I could’ve gone into them.

Im not saying that rich ass suburban, liberal arts major, limousine liberal who has ton of debt due to stupidity doesn’t exist. But I think a lot of people are underestimating how few of the kids not from rich neighborhoods get the actual advice they need

I couldn’t agree more.  The marketing and horse**** that gets devoted to maintaining the higher education military industrial complex is grotesque. The entire business model is government sponsored securitization of the futures if young adults, largely using smoke and mirrors to make the sale.  I’ve worked both the high school and college side of it, it’s not pretty.

Cal Poly makes sense for Wick.  Really any school who was trying to get Griffith is going to try to get Wick. 

It appears that Bono didn't ask Wick if he wanted to go 165 or 174  before they grabbed McNally and he wanted to go 174.  (I made this up guys, calm down)

I am looking forward to seeing/hearing why he's made the choice to enter the portal.  He seems like a great kid.

9 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I couldn’t agree more.  The marketing and horse**** that gets devoted to maintaining the higher education military industrial complex is grotesque. The entire business model is government sponsored securitization of the futures if young adults, largely using smoke and mirrors to make the sale.  I’ve worked both the high school and college side of it, it’s not pretty.

I don’t even take it that far. Lol

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don’t even take it that far. Lol

I am gently opinionated when it comes to the motivations of individual universities and their administrators...