jp157

Transfer portal

38 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Chris Weiler is staying with Wisconsin for another year so they will be very good 174 through 285. Too bad Wick left, his statement says a lot, he said Madison is a great place in the summer.

That maybe says a bunch, maybe he’s just a Cali kid who hates snow.  Would only be the millionth time Cali kids hated cold.  He has been there for five years, so hopefully he’s done with undergrad.  

That said, he has been the Wisconsin flagbearer for a long time, tough look that they couldn’t keep him around.

4 hours ago, Drew87 said:

That maybe says a bunch, maybe he’s just a Cali kid who hates snow.  Would only be the millionth time Cali kids hated cold.  He has been there for five years, so hopefully he’s done with undergrad.  

That said, he has been the Wisconsin flagbearer for a long time, tough look that they couldn’t keep him around.

They've got a guy coming off RS who will likely outperform Wick. 

Amos is the real deal. If he's able to make 197 without too much pain he'll give AJ a run for his money.

4 hours ago, Le duke said:

Amos is the real deal. If he's able to make 197 without too much pain he'll give AJ a run for his money.

who’s their 165 coming off RS?

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

Sorry, but there is no one on the Badger squad coming off redshirt that will out-perform Wick as a 2X AA at 165. Are you sure you are thinking of the right team?

4 minutes ago, npope said:

Sorry, but there is no one on the Badger squad coming off redshirt that will out-perform Wick as a 2X AA at 165. Are you sure you are thinking of the right team?

If I'm reading correctly, I think he's talking about Amos (albeit at a different weight)

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If I'm reading correctly, I think he's talking about Amos (albeit at a different weight)

Correct. 

I was attempting, poorly it seems, to make the point that Amos is the real deal and will help the UW fan base remain faithful. 

Wick is a great wrestler but unless he goes to PSU and jumps a level immediately I don't see him winning NCAAs. Whereas with Amos, I think he is no lower than 2nd this year. He's that good.

11 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Correct. 

I was attempting, poorly it seems, to make the point that Amos is the real deal and will help the UW fan base remain faithful. 

Wick is a great wrestler but unless he goes to PSU and jumps a level immediately I don't see him winning NCAAs. Whereas with Amos, I think he is no lower than 2nd this year. He's that good.

Okay. But Amos isn't coming off a red-shirt year but rather, he simply has deferred enrollment until this coming year - he has his complete eligibility still intact. While Amos has great upside and is a tremendous "get" for Wisconsin, he has yet to step on the mat for Bucky and the path to success is littered with guys who "couldn't miss." So, I don't think the Badgers need a "replacement" star for Wick but rather, Wisconsin was looking to "make a move" this year with a loaded lineup...and I think they are (now) still two new bodies away from fulfilling that promise; still too many holes now that Wick is leaving town.

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

I English’d this very poorly, I see what you mean.  

Yes Amos will definitely be the poster boy for the program incoming years.  

Still leaves me with the question as to what motivated his decision to head out.  

Just now, Drew87 said:

I English’d this very poorly, I see what you mean.  

Yes Amos will definitely be the poster boy for the program incoming years.  

Still leaves me with the question as to what motivated his decision to head out.  

There was a big fall out between Askren and the Badger RTC or whatever it's called a couple months back. He never got into the details but basically said that they were not trustworthy individuals.

It appears that Wick maintains a relationship with Askren, and I have to wonder if he has been either directly or indirectly prying Wick away from UW as a result of his personal fallout with the program.

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

There was a big fall out between Askren and the Badger RTC or whatever it's called a couple months back. He never got into the details but basically said that they were not trustworthy individuals.

It appears that Wick maintains a relationship with Askren, and I have to wonder if he has been either directly or indirectly prying Wick away from UW as a result of his personal fallout with the program.

Maybe, though I do have to say, as much of a blowhard as Askren can be, I do tend to instinctively trust his opinions on who is and who isn’t completely full of s**t.  He has a history of admitting his own errors and being honest in uncomfortable situations when the chips are down.

3 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Maybe, though I do have to say, as much of a blowhard as Askren can be, I do tend to instinctively trust his opinions on who is and who isn’t completely full of s**t.  He has a history of admitting his own errors and being honest in uncomfortable situations when the chips are down.

Oh I'm not saying that Askren did anything wrong here, and I'm not saying I doubt his side of the story.

That said, Askren could have absolutely nothing to do with why Wick left. He could be heading home to sunny SLO because he misses the local carnitas or to State College because he wants a team trophy. Or something else entirely.

Edited by Le duke

They probably told Krattiger they were seeking a transfer at his weight and he should do whatever he needed to do.

Krattiger wanted to leave WI, informed the staff and went into the portal. Askren today even said Bono told Krattiger he was no longer allowed in the room after he said he was going into the portal. Bono filled the spot left vacant with a transfer, one many would consider an upgrade. It’s that simple haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, grappler6 said:

Krattiger wanted to leave WI, informed the staff and went into the portal. Askren today even said Bono told Krattiger he was no longer allowed in the room after he said he was going into the portal. Bono filled the spot left vacant with a transfer, one many would consider an upgrade. It’s that simple haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s these interactions that make it really awesome to hear about coaches and athletes having great relationships, bc so many are so mercenary in manner.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Didn't you say Shane Griffith was a PSU lock? What happened there?

What happened there will knock a Hawkeye 1 position down on the podium no matter how you slice it