LantzPantzz

I truly believe with Penn St coaching and talent in the room Facundo will be a 4x champ

The only loss in michigan was on a home cooking call against Cam Amine who he beat the year b4 and has a DQ slam loss.  Nationally he lost a great match to paddy gallagher but beat numerous 1st n 2nd ranked seniors as a fresh in the 2018 super 32.  He won a world bronze in freestyle and dominated 4x champ boone from mich who also chose PSU.  They say he is far more elite coming out of HS than Brent Metcalf was.  We may see the next undefeated 4xer

1 hour ago, LantzPantzz said:

The only loss in michigan was on a home cooking call against Cam Amine who he beat the year b4 and has a DQ slam loss.  Nationally he lost a great match to paddy gallagher but beat numerous 1st n 2nd ranked seniors as a fresh in the 2018 super 32.  He won a world bronze in freestyle and dominated 4x champ boone from mich who also chose PSU.  They say he is far more elite coming out of HS than Brent Metcalf was.  We may see the next undefeated 4xer

Don’t forget the loss to Kennedy.  He could very well be a contender out of the gate, but anyone saying he is as elite as Metcalf was is wrong and anyone saying he is far more elite should have their head examined! 

1 hour ago, LantzPantzz said:

So who is he going to replace in the PSU lineup?  Looking at his frame I don't think he is making 165 in college.  He appears to be suited to 174 or 184 to start.  i would expect him to be at 184 as a junior and senior.  Now you may have noticed that PSU had two guys win NCAA titles at those weights.  With this being a free year Brooks can return for 3 more years and Starocci can wrestle 4 more years.  Beard who was an impressive 7th as a freshmen and is a full sized 197 also has 4 more years.  Where do you see AF winning his 4 titles and who gets to ride the pine?  I mentioned this particular logjam in another thread and observed that it's a great problem for a coach to have but still is going to need to be managed.

Facundo, Starocci, and Brooks remind me of Nolf, Cenzo, Hall. Similarly sized but three different weights. I was really surprised that Nolf wrestled 157 all 5 years. He must’ve cut heavily a la DT his last two years at 157. Maybe Starocci or Facundo or both can do the same and hold weight that long, but I’m betting against it. Starocci’s growth trajectory points to higher at some point and Facundo holding 165 for more than a couple of years seems like a stretch to me too. Brooks seems like a 184 lifer and doesn’t have the frame for 197 in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Facundo, Starocci, and Brooks remind me of Nolf, Cenzo, Hall. Similarly sized but three different weights. I was really surprised that Nolf wrestled 157 all 5 years. He must’ve cut heavily a la DT his last two years at 157. Maybe Starocci or Facundo or both can do the same and hold weight that long, but I’m betting against it. Starocci’s growth trajectory points to higher at some point and Facundo holding 165 for more than a couple of years seems like a stretch to me too. Brooks seems like a 184 lifer and doesn’t have the frame for 197 in my opinion. 

So you and the OP are both thinking Facundo makes 165 for at least the 1st couple of years in college.   I could be way off and I have no idea what his natural weight is or how much he cuts to compete at 170 but my guess would be that he will be to big for 165 by the time he gets to PSU.  On a related note I expect Van Ness will be able to make 149 next year but I would not be surprised to see him leave that weight in the rear view mirror early in his PSU career.  That is a young guy I expect may be the next PSU Superstar.  I am looking forward to see how he does in the Last Chance Qualifier this weekend.  Just the fact that he wants to compete there as a HS Senior says a lot.

10 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

So you and the OP are both thinking Facundo makes 165 for at least the 1st couple of years in college.   

On a related note I expect Van Ness will be able to make 149 next year but I would not be surprised to see him leave that weight in the rear view mirror early in his PSU career.  That is a young guy I expect may be the next PSU Superstar.  

I am about where you are regarding Facundo's weight, but I would've bet a lot that Nolf would move up at some point after watching him as a redshirt freshman at 157 and he didn't. Unsurprisingly, he moved to 163 for freestyle after trying 154 and looking flat. Starocci went up every year in HS and even wrestled 182 a good portion of his senior year but has been at 174 for two years at PSU and looks like he's going to stay there next year. He had a very similar ascent as Facundo throughout HS, starting in the 130s or so and ending in the 170s and has a similar build and height. PSU must have one hell of a nutritionist because some of their guys cut as much as OSU's guys but they all have gas for four periods.