uncle bernard

What's going on in Columbus?

Columbus, as a city, has turned into a bit of a ****hole.  Cincy is better, and hell, Cleveland has made a bit of a turnaround.  

This is an ebb and flow of talent.  It's also what happens when guys want to go near their families when you recruit them away from them, for years and years.  Mckenna back home.  Pletcher.  MyMar. Snyder went to PSU for other reasons, but that's a different algorithm being used.  

Will be good to see who transfers in.  If it's PD3, then I'll be worried. 

16 minutes ago, boconnell said:

What was with Jim Gibbons declaring this Tom Ryan's best coaching job ever? 

Because it’s a down year for the bucks and much sub par talent than they’ve had in recent years..... then to finish 9th is a job well done with only 3 AAs

1 hour ago, Kov88 said:

Because it’s a down year for the bucks and much sub par talent than they’ve had in recent years..... then to finish 9th is a job well done with only 3 AAs

I'm not saying it's a bad job, I'm saying it's absurd to say it was his best job when he's won a team title.  It's not like he massively overachieved to get 9th.  They were down and he got them through the year about like people thought.  

34 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I'm not saying it's a bad job, I'm saying it's absurd to say it was his best job when he's won a team title.  It's not like he massively overachieved to get 9th.  They were down and he got them through the year about like people thought.  

If you look at the starting lineup from the national championship year compared to the lineup this year yes it was easier to win the natty that year than getting 9th this year..... I would say that’s good coaching 

Just my opinion here, but i think Ryan limits himself in the recruiting game by using terms like living the right way, postive-infinity, awarding black shirts and so on.  He is looking to build the man where as someone like Sanderson is looking to build the wrestler.   I think for some kids, they just want to wrestle and not have all the pressure of the coded religious stuff.   Beyond that, I think the downfall started with Roselli leaving.  Snyder definitely went down hill after Lou left. 

24 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Just my opinion here, but i think Ryan limits himself in the recruiting game by using terms like living the right way, postive-infinity, awarding black shirts and so on.  He is looking to build the man where as someone like Sanderson is looking to build the wrestler.   I think for some kids, they just want to wrestle and not have all the pressure of the coded religious stuff.   Beyond that, I think the downfall started with Roselli leaving.  Snyder definitely went down hill after Lou left. 

His reputation took a hit when he tweeted evolution can't turn a cat into a dog. 

However, I remember sitting behind tOSU in Vegas for worlds.  He had a very friendly and positive relationship with his team, including those not named Streebler.   They had almost a family atmosphere.

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

I’ve been saying the decline started with Rosseli leaving for awhile now.

13 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Columbus, as a city, has turned into a bit of a ****hole.  Cincy is better, and hell, Cleveland has made a bit of a turnaround.  

This is an ebb and flow of talent.  It's also what happens when guys want to go near their families when you recruit them away from them, for years and years.  Mckenna back home.  Pletcher.  MyMar. Snyder went to PSU for other reasons, but that's a different algorithm being used.  

Will be good to see who transfers in.  If it's PD3, then I'll be worried. 

I never thought in a thousand years I’d see someone say Cincinnati was better than Columbus..... or even Cincinnati and Cleveland. That’s hilarious and sad if true

13 hours ago, treep2000 said:

What do you mean?  This is the exact opposite of my impression of Columbus (and Cincy and Cleveland).  I left nearly a decade ago and it’s incredible how much the city has grown in that time.

12 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I never thought in a thousand years I’d see someone say Cincinnati was better than Columbus..... or even Cincinnati and Cleveland. That’s hilarious and sad if true

I think that’s a fringe take.

I only learned in the last year or so that Columbus was bigger than Cincinnati and Cleveland and was shocked.   Though my belief was probably based on number of pro sports teams.

31 minutes ago, jp157 said:

It's not at all true. Columbus is an underrated midwest oasis and I would put it above Indianapolis, much less Cincinnati. Great inclusive city with plenty to offer for a wide age range of students to senior professionals.

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It's not at all true. Columbus is an underrated midwest oasis and I would put it above Indianapolis, much less Cincinnati. Great inclusive city with plenty to offer for a wide age range of students to senior professionals.

My brother was a grad student at tOSU and said similar things

I think one other aspect to the decline of the Ohio RTC (aside from the departure of Rosselli) is the lack of recruitment for the RTC. This could be attributed to hubris but I digress.

When the RTC started, it attracted Bunch, Dlagnev, and a couple other "heavy hitters". Those, along with Humphrey, Bergman, and Rowlands, made a solid squad. That group was most likely pivotal in attracting Stieber, Martin, and Snyder and possibly McKenna & Cox. But when Rosselli left, and all of that first wave hung up their shoes, it left a void. And that void will not attract high-end talent.

I mentioned hubris because I sometimes get the sense that Tom Ryan is flabbergasted that someone would ask the RTC to recruit talent. I've heard answers like "Why would we need to go after anyone else - we have the best here at Ohio State!" 

9 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Lived in all 3 and would agree.