uncle bernard

What's going on in Columbus?

23 hours ago, jbai3_12 said:

Any thoughts on Decatur being too sucked down at 133?  Would he look better at 141?

I'm not sure if that's the issue or not.  Did have some concerns with the gas tank in high school against elite guys.  He might look better at 141 but I don't know that he cracks the Buckeye lineup at that weight and the Bucks don't  presently have anyone better to hold down 133.

I hope Karchla recovers well from surgery and finds the training environment highly inspiring despite all this. He is one of a handful of kids I can see making a huge international impact in 3-5 years and it would be such a shame if he somehow became a casualty of whatever is going on.

Real opinion, tOSU staff is not great at evaluating talent. They got lucky with the Ohio studs early in Ryan's career (Snyder was an obvious can't miss, obv not an Ohio talent tho) but since have not been able to attract the guys that can excel at the next level. They are also terrible at developing guys on bottom. Jordan family aside, they are really weak in this position and need to fix the obvious Achille's heal to be a top team. PSU, Iowa and Ok State's best don't get ridden. 

Edited by Perry

If Ohio State recruited the top talent in this state I am born and bread of 50 years now , this wouldn’t be a conversation . Particularly North East Ohio . Just my opinion with a sprinkle of homerism . I say this as having gone through the nightmare of how tough these kids are in this state . Brutal .

12 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I hope Karchla recovers well from surgery and finds the training environment highly inspiring despite all this. He is one of a handful of kids I can see making a huge international impact in 3-5 years and it would be such a shame if he somehow became a casualty of whatever is going on.

He certainly has the bloodline..

Smith deliberately only recruits the kids who fit into his style and system.. and ways of acting. I’ve heard multiple high level experts say that he won’t get over the 3/4th place unless he starts being willing to go after more.. problematic recruits

Does Cael recruit "problematic" kids? I have no insight into Smith's recruiting strategy, but feel as though he doesn't chase after too many top recruits. He gets an occasional blue chipper like O'Toole, but he seems to target the second level recruits and the diamond in the rough guys he can coach up. Though he does a damn good job at it, it makes it tough to surpass the top few teams that have blue chippers as back ups. Perhaps he just knows his lane and is content to stay in it rather than wasting a lot of resources chasing the top tier kids. The lack of a functional RTC seems to impact recruiting the top tier, as well. I don't see a few "problematic" recruits helping anything.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:19 PM, muskyjunky said:

If Ohio State recruited the top talent in this state I am born and bread of 50 years now , this wouldn’t be a conversation . Particularly North East Ohio . Just my opinion with a sprinkle of homerism . I say this as having gone through the nightmare of how tough these kids are in this state . Brutal .

What top instate talent got away that would have helped this team, maybe Marinelli?

10 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Does Cael recruit "problematic" kids? I have no insight into Smith's recruiting strategy, but feel as though he doesn't chase after too many top recruits. He gets an occasional blue chipper like O'Toole, but he seems to target the second level recruits and the diamond in the rough guys he can coach up. Though he does a damn good job at it, it makes it tough to surpass the top few teams that have blue chippers as back ups. Perhaps he just knows his lane and is content to stay in it rather than wasting a lot of resources chasing the top tier kids. The lack of a functional RTC seems to impact recruiting the top tier, as well. I don't see a few "problematic" recruits helping anything.

Not just if they are or aren’t problematic. Do they FIT HIS system and team 

10 hours ago, wpialchamp said:

What top instate talent got away that would have helped this team, maybe Marinelli?

Marinelli for sure. Already stated but he was committed to Ohio State before committing to Iowa. David Carr has to be another missed recruit, although I'm not sure if he was ever not going to choose Iowa State. IIRC, Carr had tOSU in his top two. 

If healthy, Sasso-Carr-Marinelli-Kharchla would've been a murderer's row this year. Add in Pletcher and Moore, they likely contend for a title in the previous season too (if there was no pandemic of course). 

3 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

Marinelli for sure. Already stated but he was committed to Ohio State before committing to Iowa. David Carr has to be another missed recruit, although I'm not sure if he was ever not going to choose Iowa State. IIRC, Carr had tOSU in his top two. 

If healthy, Sasso-Carr-Marinelli-Kharchla would've been a murderer's row this year. Add in Pletcher and Moore, they likely contend for a title in the previous season too (if there was no pandemic of course). 

Is Tariq Wilson from Ohio as well? 

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There's obviously something rotten in the state of Denmark right now. That's a LOT of departures to be happening in the last year, with two major ones happening this close to OTTs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Based only on the portal one would think these possible transfers are normal.  All are behind someone coming back or at a weight with a top ranked recruit.

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There's obviously something rotten in the state of Denmark right now. That's a LOT of departures to be happening in the last year, with two major ones happening this close to OTTs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I hear you, but no starter who was a qualifier this year left. It doesn’t look good though