Jump to content
uncle bernard

What's going on in Columbus?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I don't believe so. He was a DII, 3x state placer. Would have been behind RS Junior, Tomasello and Freshman, Pletcher.

Who says he would’ve been behind pletcher? Pletcher beat him 7-4 in a dual then lost to Wilson 17-8 at ncaas , Wilson has 2 finishes that were higher than pletchers best...all and all Wilson has had a better career than pletcher across the board 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Who says he would’ve been behind pletcher? Pletcher beat him 7-4 in a dual then lost to Wilson 17-8 at ncaas , Wilson has 2 finishes that were higher than pletchers best...all and all Wilson has had a better career than pletcher across the board 

Well the point stands that they already had a much higher touted recruit at his weight. Wilson was a diamond in the rough.

Also, as good as Wilson is, he's never been a real title contender like Pletcher was last year.

Edited by uncle bernard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Who says he would’ve been behind pletcher? Pletcher beat him 7-4 in a dual then lost to Wilson 17-8 at ncaas , Wilson has 2 finishes that were higher than pletchers best...all and all Wilson has had a better career than pletcher across the board 

I say he would have been behind Pletcher. Especially at the time. Three-time Pennsylvania state champion and four-time finalist, Two-time Super 32 champion, FloNational champ, consensus top-10 ranked recruit,  rated as the No. 6 overall recruit nationally and No. 2 at 132 lbs. by FloWrestling.

Tariq had a fantastic run in his RS Freshman year 2018 after going 2-2 at the ACC tourney. Prior to his Freshman yr in college,  Placed second as a junior at 120 pounds with a 49-1 season record. Was also second as a sophomore at 113 pounds and a 49-2 record. As a freshman, took sixth at 106 pounds with a 48-8 season record. Placed eighth at the 2015 FloNationals at 120 pounds.  : )

 

 

 

Edited by Mphillips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I believe @VakAttack was talking about RTC departures.

I was, thank you.

6 hours ago, Sstern said:

Based only on the portal one would think these possible transfers are normal.  All are behind someone coming back or at a weight with a top ranked recruit.

 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I hear you, but no starter who was a qualifier this year left. It doesn’t look good though 

To Sstern and Housebuye, I was commenting more on the departures of Myles Martin and Tervel so close to OTTs.

 

I also don't think it's fair to pin the Marinelli switch on anybody at tOSU.  They tried, and even got him to commit.  He switched, and has been pretty clear that he felt personal pressure to stay home but really always wanted Iowa.  That's not something Ryan and Co. could really do anything about.  The program is down right now on both the RTC and collegiate levels, but lets see what happens next year with Kharchla and potentially Paddy Gallagher hitting the lineup (although I'm not sure where he fits with Romero and Smith all being there around the same weight.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I was, thank you.

 

To Sstern and Housebuye, I was commenting more on the departures of Myles Martin and Tervel so close to OTTs.

 

I also don't think it's fair to pin the Marinelli switch on anybody at tOSU.  They tried, and even got him to commit.  He switched, and has been pretty clear that he felt personal pressure to stay home but really always wanted Iowa.  That's not something Ryan and Co. could really do anything about.  The program is down right now on both the RTC and collegiate levels, but lets see what happens next year with Kharchla and potentially Paddy Gallagher hitting the lineup (although I'm not sure where he fits with Romero and Smith all being there around the same weight.)

I think Paddy Gallagher fits at 157 for a year or two then moves up to 165 the logjam frees up a little.  I keep hearing Karchla is big and will be at 174 but I heard that last year too.  Maybe 157-Gallagher 165-Smith 174-Karchla 184-Romero/Jordan 197-Hoffman/Jordan.  I could also see a scenario where Sasso moves  up to 157 and either D'Emilio or Echemendia moves up to 149.  Maybe Cleary saw the writing on the wall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

 

 

I also don't think it's fair to pin the Marinelli switch on anybody at tOSU.  They tried, and even got him to commit.  He switched, and has been pretty clear that he felt personal pressure to stay home but really always wanted Iowa.  That's not something Ryan and Co. could really do anything about.  The program is down right now on both the RTC and collegiate levels, but lets see what happens next year with Kharchla and potentially Paddy Gallagher hitting the lineup (although I'm not sure where he fits with Romero and Smith all being there around the same weight.)

I told them he was an Iowa kid before he was an Iowa kid...

Edited by Mphillips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess Tervel and Martin are leaving after OTTs, not right away.  Similar to JB saying he's going to Penn RTC after the Olympics, can't believe they'd jump ship right before.

Edited by Gantry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I was, thank you.

 

To Sstern and Housebuye, I was commenting more on the departures of Myles Martin and Tervel so close to OTTs.

 

I also don't think it's fair to pin the Marinelli switch on anybody at tOSU.  They tried, and even got him to commit.  He switched, and has been pretty clear that he felt personal pressure to stay home but really always wanted Iowa.  That's not something Ryan and Co. could really do anything about.  The program is down right now on both the RTC and collegiate levels, but lets see what happens next year with Kharchla and potentially Paddy Gallagher hitting the lineup (although I'm not sure where he fits with Romero and Smith all being there around the same weight.)

That's true about Marinelli, but he also told a story about how on opening day of recruiting Ryan made his home visit in a thousand dollar suit and an expensive sports car and Morningstar showed up in a truck and steel toed boots and that immediately made him feel more comfortable with Iowa. To me, that's a pretty bad case of not knowing who you're recruiting. To say that tOSU had no shot when they were close to home and had him originally committed is letting them off the hook imo. Iowa just out recruited them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Well the point stands that they already had a much higher touted recruit at his weight. Wilson was a diamond in the rough.

Also, as good as Wilson is, he's never been a real title contender like Pletcher was last year.

He took down Seth gross like 4 times and lost in OT in the ncaa semis , then bonuses pletcher and kaid brock on the backside, and this year he was 0-0 with Eierman before a very questionable pin , then controlled seabass the entire 3rd place match 

list of the AAs he beaten 

Zach Sherman 6-1 with 2 bonus wins 

Montorie bridges 1-1 

Chad Red 1-1 1 bonus win 

Jack Muellar 

Korbin Myers 3-0 2 bonus wins

john ernaste 2-1 

Scott delveccio -bonus

sadarian perry

Killian Cardinale - bonus 

Sebastian Rivera -bonus 

Luke pletcher 1-1 bonus 

Kaid Brock -bonus 

 

the guy has been a contender , he can wrestle with literally anyone 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He took down Seth gross like 4 times and lost in OT in the ncaa semis , then bonuses pletcher and kaid brock on the backside, and this year he was 0-0 with Eierman before a very questionable pin , then controlled seabass the entire 3rd place match 

list of the AAs he beaten 

Zach Sherman 6-1 with 2 bonus wins 

Montorie bridges 1-1 

Chad Red 1-1 1 bonus win 

Jack Muellar 

Korbin Myers 3-0 2 bonus wins

john ernaste 2-1 

Scott delveccio -bonus

sadarian perry

Killian Cardinale - bonus 

Sebastian Rivera -bonus 

Luke pletcher 1-1 bonus 

Kaid Brock -bonus 

 

the guy has been a contender , he can wrestle with literally anyone 

 

 

 

He had one good tournament in Cleveland, then was a 10-15 type guy for a couple years before being really good this year, but an afterthought in the 141 title conversation. He has basically never been talked about as a title contender his entire career. He's only even been seeded in the top 10 once. Pletcher was the #1 seed and favorite to win.

Guys Tariq has lost to since Cleveland:

2021: 3rd (4 seed)

Jaydin Eierman pin

2020: Cancelled (15 seed)

Zack Sherman 5-4

Mitch Moore 7-3

Dusty Hone 6-4 SV

Angelo Martinoni 13-11

Michael Blockhus 6-4

Chad Red pin

2019: R12 (11 seed) 

John Erneste 9-7

Ethan Lizak 5-4

Micky Phillipi 4-1

Paul Konrath 4-3

Luke Pletcher inj

People do this all the time when guys get hot at NCAA's. They usually regress to who they were for the majority of their careers. Remember when people thought Kyle Conel was going to be a title contender?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

He had one good tournament in Cleveland, then was a 10-15 type guy for a couple years before being really good this year, but an afterthought in the 141 title conversation. He has basically never been talked about as a title contender his entire career. He's only even been seeded in the top 10 once. Pletcher was the #1 seed and favorite to win.

Guys Tariq has lost to since Cleveland:

2021: 3rd (4 seed)

Jaydin Eierman pin

2020: Cancelled (15 seed)

Zack Sherman 5-4

Mitch Moore 7-3

Dusty Hone 6-4 SV

Angelo Martinoni 13-11

Michael Blockhus 6-4

Chad Red pin

2019: R12 (11 seed) 

John Erneste 9-7

Ethan Lizak 5-4

Micky Phillipi 4-1

Paul Konrath 4-3

Luke Pletcher inj

People do this all the time when guys get hot at NCAA's. They usually regress to who they were for the majority of their careers. Remember when people thought Kyle Conel was going to be a title contender?

 

Are you seriously comparing Tariq Wilson to Kyle conel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Well the point stands that they already had a much higher touted recruit at his weight. Wilson was a diamond in the rough.

Also, as good as Wilson is, he's never been a real title contender like Pletcher was last year.

He was a contender this year.  Undefeated #4 seed going into NCAA's who took 3rd.

Pletcher was the #1 seed last year but had a loss.  

Wilson probably would have sat the bench if he went to tOSU, but NCState developed him, and he's had a better career than Pletcher with 1 more year to add to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Are you seriously comparing Tariq Wilson to Kyle conel 

As a guy who had a huge NCAA tournament and then the next two years regressed to the level he previously wrestled at? Yeah, because that indisputably happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

He was a contender this year.  Undefeated #4 seed going into NCAA's who took 3rd.

Pletcher was the #1 seed last year but had a loss.  

Wilson probably would have sat the bench if he went to tOSU, but NCState developed him, and he's had a better career than Pletcher with 1 more year to add to that.

Who ever considered him as a title threat this year? I didn't see a single person pick him or even include him in the discussion with the big 3. In fact, when people thought he might get the 2, people were pissed because they thought it would mess up the bracket.

He might end up with a better career, but that will largely be because Pletcher was robbed of his final tournament and Tariq will get an extra year when this past year should have been his peak. Pletcher was easily the more consistent high level guy. Coming into this year, Wilson had one AA run and had never been seeded in the top 10. He was the 15 last year. It's not close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Who ever considered him as a title threat this year? I didn't see a single person pick him or even include him in the discussion with the big 3. In fact, when people thought he might get the 2, people were pissed because they thought it would mess up the bracket.

He might end up with a better career, but that will largely be because Pletcher was robbed of his final tournament and Tariq will get an extra year when this past year should have been his peak. Pletcher was easily the more consistent high level guy. Coming into this year, Wilson had one AA run and had never been seeded in the top 10. He was the 15 last year. It's not close.

Pletcher has 4th place 2x and he was the #1 seed last year but there is no guarantee he would have finished #1.

Tariq has 3rd place 2x.  I think he is ahead of Pletcher already, but if he places top-3 again next year there will be no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Who ever considered him as a title threat this year? I didn't see a single person pick him or even include him in the discussion with the big 3. In fact, when people thought he might get the 2, people were pissed because they thought it would mess up the bracket.

He might end up with a better career, but that will largely be because Pletcher was robbed of his final tournament and Tariq will get an extra year when this past year should have been his peak. Pletcher was easily the more consistent high level guy. Coming into this year, Wilson had one AA run and had never been seeded in the top 10. He was the 15 last year. It's not close.

Both guys have had 3 ncaa tournaments...pletcher went R16, 4th, 4th ...pletcher lost in R16 to jimmy guilbon 

Wilson is 3rd, R12, 3rd ...Wilson lost to Erneste in 3 ot in the R12 , Erneste then beat RBY his next match
 
Both have 1 conference title 

Wilson has already had a better career than pletcher 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Both guys have had 3 ncaa tournaments...pletcher went R16, 4th, 4th ...pletcher lost in R16 to jimmy guilbon 

Wilson is 3rd, R12, 3rd ...Wilson lost to Erneste in 3 ot in the R12 , Erneste then beat RBY his next match
 
Both have 1 conference title 

Wilson has already had a better career than pletcher 

 

In regards to conference title, let's not equate the ACC with the Big Ten. Pletcher beat Nick Lee and Wilson beat Zack Sherman. That's not the same.

Over the entire course of their career, including the regular season, Pletcher has been the better guy. 

For his first 3 years, Wilson was a 10-15 guy minus 1 insane weekend. That weekend showed his potential, but it was also the only weekend he ever reached it until this year (maybe, but I'm not overwhelmed by him beating an undersized and clearly checked out Rivera for third). He was unseeded, 11 seed, 15 seed and those were the correct seeds.

If Pletcher had an opportunity to wrestle last year, I think he makes the finals. No way to be sure obviously, but it's also not quite fair to just compare NCAA finishes when it excludes Pletcher's best season where everything came together for him.

Tariq has never beaten anybody of Nick Lee's caliber. You can point to the Gross semi, but he was getting dominated until Gross stopped wrestling. Once he had to start wrestling again, he pinned him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tariq was not going to get developed at tOSU. Not with those recruits ahead of him. Recruits like him are coveted by lower tier DI teams because... 

Much like Harger, Sulzer, Habat. He was the typical Ohio kid who was good but not great (1x champ or only placed) who does well in college every 3-4 years. Murphy from Campbell being a one time runner up then making the round12 this year being yet another example. When NCST recruited Tariq they were just starting their ascent to the top 8. 

Tariq was also clearly one of those wrestlers who wrestled much better at tournaments than in dual meets. I’m partial to those wrestlers because those results actually matter. 

Based off what you’d expect from Hs results Tariq definitely exceeded his ceiling. Pletcher kinda just Barely met them
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

That's true about Marinelli, but he also told a story about how on opening day of recruiting Ryan made his home visit in a thousand dollar suit and an expensive sports car and Morningstar showed up in a truck and steel toed boots and that immediately made him feel more comfortable with Iowa. To me, that's a pretty bad case of not knowing who you're recruiting. To say that tOSU had no shot when they were close to home and had him originally committed is letting them off the hook imo. Iowa just out recruited them.

How does Marianelli recognize a thousand dollar suit?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...