Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

What school has the "stalliest" wrestlers?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Molsen said:

Come on tbar. Please for once say something not 100% pro psu, or try to defend them over something that is in the Grey area. They use the ankle pinch as a stall. I don't blame them and until it's called keep doing it. But there is no need to get defensive, or deny that it's used as a stall ride. It works, it's not called, and is dumb to stop if they won't call it. Despite iowas win this year, your team is still THE team, you could try to be a little less bias, it'd make you a much more tolerable poster. It won't change the fact that in 2 years they will be on top again if it doesn't happen next year.

Your team has had some of the most dynamic wrestlers in the last 15 years. You could atleast admit that there are some elite stall riders on your team also.

He can't do it. Physically. It would probably give him a stroke.

The announcers during the Fix/RBY match were praising RBY for his ability to hook the ankle and do nothing and talked about how the PSU coaches work on it. It was disgusting. (not as disgusting as Fix not doing anything the whole match, but disgusting, nonetheless)

Edited by Crotalus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boconnell said:

For taking most of the shots and creating all of the action?  How many calls did Bonacorsi deserve then?  He didn't even attack while losing in the third.  

No, for doing absolutely nothing on top except picking up a leg and walking him out of bounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jmez said:

All teams and they do it because it is allowed by the officials. Penn State kind of changed that narrative with relentless offense and it was fun to watch. Now it seems they have reverted to defensive wrestling. So likely wasn't do much coaching and philosophy as much as the athletes.

RBY has the ability, but the match with Fix was a snoozer. When he finally did decide to shoot, it was an effortless, uncontested takedown. Why not do that the whole match?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
 

RBY didn't shoot the whole match because Fix is positionally sound. He wrestled smart and put a hard ride on Fix and really should have won in regulation. No matter, given he had tired Fix out he was able to take him down in OT. Nick Lee employed a similar strategy vs. Eierman. Wear him out, tire him out, win on your feet when the opponent's energy level can't match your own. Sound strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Molsen said:

Come on tbar. Please for once say something not 100% pro psu, or try to defend them over something that is in the Grey area. They use the ankle pinch as a stall. I don't blame them and until it's called keep doing it. But there is no need to get defensive, or deny that it's used as a stall ride. It works, it's not called, and is dumb to stop if they won't call it. Despite iowas win this year, your team is still THE team, you could try to be a little less bias, it'd make you a much more tolerable poster. It won't change the fact that in 2 years they will be on top again if it doesn't happen next year.Your team has had some of the most dynamic wrestlers in the last 15 years. You could atleast admit that there are some elite stall riders on your team also.

 

Molsen, I completely agree with this aspect of your post.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeSanto is positionally sound as well and RBY takes him down at will, and he can't tire him down. He wrestles Fix again it would be 6-2 type match with 3 takedowns.

Sound strategy, sure, boring as well. Not what I expected from a PSU wrestler that talented on his feet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmez said:

DeSanto is positionally sound as well and RBY takes him down at will, and he can't tire him down. He wrestles Fix again it would be 6-2 type match with 3 takedowns.

Sound strategy, sure, boring as well. Not what I expected from a PSU wrestler that talented on his feet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
 

 

So your complaint about RBY is that although he won vs Fix he didn't shoot enough to suit you? 

RBY may well get multiple TDs against Fix the next time, but until you are out there against someone there is always a process to determine the right angle and the right timing and the like. How many guys have wrestled Fix the first time and shot a lot on Fix and won?

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

No, for doing absolutely nothing on top except picking up a leg and walking him out of bounds.

I'd absolutely call him for dropping to the leg.  He got warned and Bonacorsi immediately escaped.  It shows you he knows he's stalling for as long as he can get away with it when on top.  Call it early and make action happen.  

But that match had about 5.5 minutes in neutral where he was the far more aggressive wrestler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Navy...by far.  I’m not saying they build a lead and stall..they just expend all energy to set up NOTHING in order to keep a match 1-0 or 1-1.  Then they “vulture” wins by taking their first shot with 10 seconds left.  That style makes it Hard to wrestle a 6 match NCAA tournament (AA) with three days of weigh-ins.  
 

However, that’s the only proven formula for Navy.  If Kolat tries to actually make them wrestle, things will go downhill pretty fast.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Step out rules in folk style wouldn’t make a difference, because they would just go to the mat (knee) like in freestyle.  if there is a push out it would need to be both feet OOB.  
 

If you really want to change wrestling and take care of 90% of its problems....Mat-side weigh ins.  For tournaments, you weigh in every session.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

If you really want to change wrestling and take care of 90% of its problems....Mat-side weigh ins.  For tournaments, you weigh in every session.  

I am curious, how would matside weigh ins cure 90% of what ails wrestling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henry said:

I am curious, how would matside weigh ins cure 90% of what ails wrestling? 

NO WEIGHT CUTTING.


Weight cutting stigma accounts for most of why athletic departments already “look down their noses” at wrestling.

More people will do it.

No “one hour wait” between weigh ins and competition.  Less time.

healthier competitors.

Nobody weighs 125lbs as a college freshman unless they are a 14 year old genius.  
 

Four year Prisoner of Weight (POW) 125lb wrestlers won’t need to garner the higher scholarship money.  (It’s true!  125 and true heavyweight wrestlers garner the most schollie money.  Not many people are willing to be POWs at 125 or turn down a football schollie)

Less broken down college wrestlers to fill Senior ranks for world/Olympic ventures.

Shift focus more on training than weight.

depression, anxiety, overtraining.

 

 

I can list more, but I think this covers more than enacting a push out rule would alleviate.  

Edited by Cptafw164

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...