Jimmy Cinnabon

Many of AAs this year were Italian

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Being proud of ancestry is weird because you are not responsible for any of it.  You can feel fortunate but proud seems misused as if someone accomplished something 

Thumbs down to this idea. If people are proud of their ancestry then this is a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Being proud of ancestry is weird because you are not responsible for any of it.  You can feel fortunate but proud seems misused as if someone accomplished something 

people should be allowed to feel pride in whatever they choose without reprisal...

but...

america is gonna america nowadays...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

people should be allowed to feel pride in whatever they choose without reprisal...

but...

america is gonna america nowadays...

Best thing about America is having no fear to call out things that are wrong when you see them.  Free speech means I get to call out something silly like being proud of something beyond your control.  I know snowflakes today don't like to hear when they are wrong but so be it

Edited by flyingcement

Just now, flyingcement said:

Best thing about America is having no fear to call out things that are wrong when you see them.  For speech means I get to call out something silly like being proud of something beyond your control.  I know snowflakes today don't like to hear when they are wrong but do be it

i do not disagree with your original statement or even this...

i never really felt much "pride" in belonging to any group for any reason...

and then this country started slipping with a quickness into it's current state of decline and silliness and i realized i used to be "proud" to live here, but, not anymore...

if things don't start changing relatively quickly, i will be a mexican 15hrs after the oldest graduates...

Just now, LJB said:

i do not disagree with your original statement or even this...

i never really felt much "pride" in belonging to any group for any reason...

and then this country started slipping with a quickness into it's current state of decline and silliness and i realized i used to be "proud" to live here, but, not anymore...

if things don't start changing relatively quickly, i will be a mexican 15hrs after the oldest graduates...

I think I was focusing on the word pride.  You are touching on whether people even like America- the current country they live in.  And that's a whole different story.  I guess we can see good and bad things about a place - not feel the need to rank it against others - and hope to gradually make improvements when it makese sense.  

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I think I was focusing on the word pride.  You are touching on whether people even like America- the current country they live in.  And that's a whole different story.  I guess we can see good and bad things about a place - not feel the need to rank it against others - and hope to gradually make improvements when it makese sense.  

again, i don't disagree with your original premise personally...

but...

i do sorta envy those that feel "pride" inherently because it is such a foreign concept emotionally to me...

regardless...

the point is that in this country currently, you are only allowed to feel "pride" if you are claiming a select group and Odin help you if you stray from those even a little...

As a non Italian I feel that the simple solution is to get offended if y’all ain’t pro noucin it proper like. You better be saying lik 

I - is word I, I hope you know your letter

tal - likes 1st syllabus of word tally 

e - you need help you is slow

un 

If you Do nots pro noucin it correct likr is gonna be offensive for a the I-tal-e-uns her.

See is the best person ever

It's hard to tell ethnicity by name sometimes, especially between the so-called "Romance Languages". 

For example I always assumed Ariana Grande was a Mexican, but found out she's actually a meatball, I mean Italian. Imagine my surprise, Grande is a very common Mexican name.

Speaking of being offended by pronunciations, did any of you guys catch the moron pronouncing "Peery" as "Perry" during the finals (because 2 Pitt boys were in the finals the Peery family was mentioned). I was pretty offended, I hold the Peery's achievements on the mat as sacrosanct. The announcer thought he was honoring them and couldn't even pronounce the name properly. 

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I find that people who celebrate things like that are people who haven't accomplished much on their own and so they don't have much else to be proud of.  Shame but thats life.  

Seems crazy to me to have pride in something one cannot control in any way. 

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Speaking of being offended by pronunciations, did any of you guys catch the moron pronouncing "Peery" as "Perry" during the finals (because 2 Pitt boys were in the finals the Peery family was mentioned). I was pretty offended, I hold the Peery's achievements on the mat as sacrosanct. The announcer thought he was honoring them and couldn't even pronounce the name properly. 

Lol yeah that was weird 

4 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

Rivera and Valencia are definitely not Italian names

Valencia is of Latin origin: from Valentia meaning power or strong and healthy. It is Spanish.

Rivera is both Spanish and Italian (northern Italian from Sicilian Ribera).