Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

McDonough...classy

Do not have the link for this but apparently McDonough (in an article) was seen going out of his way after the Ncaa's to seek out Nico Megaludis to wish him well in the future. Interesting and classy gesture by Matt. Even before this gesture I viewed Matt as a CHAMPION.. Obviously this senior season for Matt was a struggle, but whatever the reasons were, He epitomized toughness,respect and loyalty to the Iowa program and to the all former Iowa greats. I believe there are 2 ways to identify a person 1) by their strengths 2)by their weaknesses(or failures)...moving forward I think it is wise for all of us to choose number 1. Lastly, I am a PSU fan but over the last 2 years I saw many similarities from a mindset standpoint between Matt and Nico and so I thought it was fitting what Matt did. I'm sure Nico has mutual respect for Matt. This is the way it should be. If anyone has the link please post it.... thank you

Maybe you mean this article?

My last image, and perhaps my new favorite anecdote of McDonough, came March 23. The Iowa wrestling team came back into the Wells Fargo Arena tunnel after collecting their fourth-place team trophy. They displayed expressionless faces, and the ones that weren’t were looks of frustration and disappointment.

McDonough’s blank face was among them. For the first time in four years, there was no trophy in his hand to signal All-American — still unbelievable to these eyes even as he walked by.

Suddenly, McDonough broke from the crowd and found Penn State’s Nico Megaludis — the same Nico Megaludis he beat 4-1 for last year’s 125-pound NCAA championship — standing among the blue and white contingent. Megaludis took second again this year, and McDonough knew he felt terrible after losing again.

The Hawkeye shook his hand.

“Good luck,” he said.

You too, Matt.

Class act, that McD. Much respect.

Has Iowa's lack of civility gotten so bad that a simple gesture like this is news worthy? Seriously, what's the big deal; Shouldn't this type of thing be commonplace after nationals between the wrestlers?

I would hope so...

But I bet it was posted to combat some of the more negative stuff on here lately about McD.

Has Iowa's lack of civility gotten so bad that a simple gesture like this is news worthy? Seriously, what's the big deal; Shouldn't this type of thing be commonplace after nationals between the wrestlers?

Come on, Tig.

Given the way McD went out - he is under no obligation to do this, nor should anyone expect him to. I wouldn't expect the athlete with the most sportsmanship ever to do this after going out the way he did.

I think this is completely news-worthy and impressive...and a very cool gesture.

That's certainly going to help with the damage control. Getting caught throwing his award away in the trash after running out of there early was a big embarrassment to the team and fan base in general. Kudos, at least he's working on casting a different light on his actions and those of his team, while they are in the spot light.

I think the gesture is awesome....wrestling is very important, but there is life after wrestling too....even though he didn't place this year, Matt McD will still be a big part of Hawkeye History. Best wishes to you Matt.

Fadz

So now doing what you're supposed to do is considered "classy"?

You are not "supposed to" go out of your way, after an event (and your career) - in a bad way no less- has ended to congratulate and wish good luck to an opponent.

It was 100% a class act by McDonough. Saying anything different is ridiculous.

I think it would of been classy if he went to Delgado and congratulated him on his championship or even Garrett for defeating him and taking 3rd as a freshman. Instead he chose to shake hands with Mega, someone that has never defeated him. Was it classy or was it an ego safe public relation move?

You realize you guys are all criticizing a college kid and trying to discuss "class" in the same post? Get over your bs people and grow up.

By the way who's to say he didn't congratulate Delgado or garret, just didn't do it in front of a camera or a reporter? Don't we as wrestling fans have bigger things to worry about?

You realize you guys are all criticizing a college kid and trying to discuss "class" in the same post? Get over your bs people and grow up.

By the way who's to say he didn't congratulate Delgado or garret, just didn't do it in front of a camera or a reporter? Don't we as wrestling fans have bigger things to worry about?

I see this from several of you on this board, pointing to the fact that McDonough is in college. And then to emphasize the point, he is called a kid. Isn't he 23 or 24 years old? Is that really a kid to you guys? And does a man approaching his mid 20s, who's been a varsity wrestler on the Iowa team for 4 straight years now really need to be coddled and protected from fans discussing his actions at the national tournament where he was a participant and nearly placed? I mean seriously, I could see if he was an 11 year old girl in a dance recital but a varsity wrestler who was seeded and ranked all year long, is this really who we need to be running to protect because someone may hurt his feelings?

I see this from several of you on this board, pointing to the fact that McDonough is in college. And then to emphasize the point, he is called a kid. Isn't he 23 or 24 years old? Is that really a kid to you guys? And does a man approaching his mid 20s, who's been a varsity wrestler on the Iowa team for 4 straight years now really need to be coddled and protected from fans discussing his actions at the national tournament where he was a participant and nearly placed? I mean seriously, I could see if he was an 11 year old girl in a dance recital but a varsity wrestler who was seeded and ranked all year long, is this really who we need to be running to protect because someone may hurt his feelings?

From my vantage point, he's kid, and as far as I know, you may be one as well. McD has one tourney where his disappointment gets the better of him and the Hawk haters on the board want to keep criticizing. All we're saying is cut him some slack.

I think it would of been classy if he went to Delgado and congratulated him on his championship or even Garrett for defeating him and taking 3rd as a freshman. Instead he chose to shake hands with Mega, someone that has never defeated him. Was it classy or was it an ego safe public relation move?

So just to be clear, now it's neither classy nor "what everyone does" (though I bet the vast, vast majority of you have never done anything like this; I know I haven't), it is now actually something to be viewed as a cynically savvy move (i.e. a negative). Weird how this happens.

Do not have the link for this but apparently McDonough (in an article) was seen going out of his way after the Ncaa's to seek out Nico Megaludis to wish him well in the future. Interesting and classy gesture by Matt.

Further proof that McD's lost his fire.

So just to be clear, now it's neither classy nor "what everyone does" (though I bet the vast, vast majority of you have never done anything like this; I know I haven't), it is now actually something to be viewed as a cynically savvy move (i.e. a negative). Weird how this happens.

----

Not that weird if you think about it Vak. I think most fans (even PSU fans like PA fan and wrestle09) can appreciate the gesture and appreciate the sportsmanship and spirit McD has shown his whole career.

Unfortunately there are a handful of posters (e.g. cletus, f.t.) that can never say a good thing about Iowa wrestlers or coaches. They make it a point to criticize anything, or blow up non events into something outrageous.

Consider the sources ... and things don't seem so weird.

Wow.

The article portrays the sport in a very positive light and all a bunch of you can do is crap all over it.

Sad.

As someone who likes to root against Iowa, what I want to say now is Matt McD best of luck and glad I had a chance to watch you.