Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

McDonough...classy

"The article portrays the sport in a very positive light"

Wow, fans are trying really hard to make this into something other then a puff piece. I'm sorry, but I see this for what it is; damage control.

Lol. You see this for "what it is"? So it is whatever you have decided it is now? Get real. How would he even know that:

A. A newspaper reporter was watching him in the hallway.

B. That the reporter would write about it? (What, with this being so common and all)

You're hating for no reason at all. I don't get it, this isn't like you.

I think it would of been classy if he went to Delgado and congratulated him on his championship or even Garrett for defeating him and taking 3rd as a freshman. Instead he chose to shake hands with Mega, someone that has never defeated him. Was it classy or was it an ego safe public relation move?

So just to be clear, now it's neither classy nor "what everyone does" (though I bet the vast, vast majority of you have never done anything like this; I know I haven't), it is now actually something to be viewed as a cynically savvy move (i.e. a negative). Weird how this happens.

----

Not that weird if you think about it Vak. I think most fans (even PSU fans like PA fan and wrestle09) can appreciate the gesture and appreciate the sportsmanship and spirit McD has shown his whole career.

Unfortunately there are a handful of posters (e.g. cletus, f.t.) that can never say a good thing about Iowa wrestlers or coaches. They make it a point to criticize anything, or blow up non events into something outrageous.

Consider the sources ... and things don't seem so weird.

I take exception to those comments. I gave the young man kudos for his actions. I've given many Hawks credit on this board and I will continue to do so. I have no vendetta against Iowa, they"re just fine with me. I think you confuse me engaging in spirited debate and discussion on on this board with supporting many of the negative positions posted here. Show me the posts where I'm attacking these Iowa guys and their coaches.

Not coddling anyone... just saying there are 2 kinds of people...People who judge others on their failures and people who judge others on their successes. Matt didn't just casually walk by Nico and tap him on his shoulder and say "hey good job"...According to the reporter it seemed like he went out of his way to go see him. I see that as a success . And that's how I will judge him.

The article is by the student-journalist who dug McDonough's medal out of the trash, for which he (Goodwin) took a lot of heat from the Iowa faithful. Therefore, it's no surprise that he'd write an article attempting to show the Hawkeye in a favorable light. However, his hyperbole is contradicted by the basic facts he reports in his article.

Note that Goodwin states that "McDonough broke from the crowd and found Penn State’s Nico Megaludis — the same Nico Megaludis he beat 4-1 for last year’s 125-pound NCAA championship — standing among the blue and white contingent." However, earlier he said that McDonough was coming back into the tunnel with the rest of the Iowa team after collecting their fourth-place team trophy. Obviously then, he didn't "break from the crowd" to seek out Megadulis. The two teams just happened to pass in the tunnel, Iowa after picking up their trophy and Penn State while waiting to go out and pick up theirs.

Sounds to me as if two opponents just shook hands in passing as the team trophies were being handed out - no more and no less. However, I can see why Goodwin, as well as the Hawkeye fans, would want to play it up as some transcendent moment of great sportsmanship.

I imagine Mcd really could careless what people might think. I don't think he thought he would get the backlash from throwing his plaque in the can nor do I think he thought he would be praised for wishing Nico goodluck. Maybe he has a certain amount of respect for the way Nico handles his business on the mat. At the end of the day, no one would be dissecting everything this guy does if he had an average career. I loved Mcd intensity and wish I could bottle that up because I could make a ton off of it!!

I'm surprised he didn't tell NM to throw his second place medal in the trash.

I kid.

Couldn't have said it better than myself. The disrespect he showed to Delgado and the other 6 guys on the podium at Big-10's was enough for me to realize the kid is incredibly immature and has a lot of growing up to do.

Not coddling anyone... just saying there are 2 kinds of people...People who judge others on their failures and people who judge others on their successes. Matt didn't just casually walk by Nico and tap him on his shoulder and say "hey good job"...According to the reporter it seemed like he went out of his way to go see him. I see that as a success . And that's how I will judge him.

Did he personally apologize to those he disrespected on the podium and the officials of the tournament?

I'm doing that googling thing on the internets and I can't find that article.

I could care less if he could care less what he thinks. He's done. Time for the new kids on the block...

I doubt he went up to every kid on the podium and apologize...Do you think that was necessary?? That's a bit overboard. It is not like he spit at or punched anyone on the podium. I am a PSU fan(really ' I am). Just trying to make a point on how we tend to judge people. I have ,myself, been guilty of this at times. Maybe he likes the way Nico wrestles and that was his way of letting him know that. That was my guess. Could be wrong...but the point is if we judged every wrestler by their failures would we have any heros in this sport?????? Pick a wrestler and I am sure we can find multiple failures by him. This was supposed to be a positive post, simple post. Many are really trying to find negative in everything.

The article is by the student-journalist who dug McDonough's medal out of the trash, for which he (Goodwin) took a lot of heat from the Iowa faithful. Therefore, it's no surprise that he'd write an article attempting to show the Hawkeye in a favorable light. However, his hyperbole is contradicted by the basic facts he reports in his article.

Note that Goodwin states that "McDonough broke from the crowd and found Penn State’s Nico Megaludis — the same Nico Megaludis he beat 4-1 for last year’s 125-pound NCAA championship — standing among the blue and white contingent." However, earlier he said that McDonough was coming back into the tunnel with the rest of the Iowa team after collecting their fourth-place team trophy. Obviously then, he didn't "break from the crowd" to seek out Megadulis. The two teams just happened to pass in the tunnel, Iowa after picking up their trophy and Penn State while waiting to go out and pick up theirs.

Sounds to me as if two opponents just shook hands in passing as the team trophies were being handed out - no more and no less. However, I can see why Goodwin, as well as the Hawkeye fans, would want to play it up as some transcendent moment of great sportsmanship.

+1; Vak, Rossel, others, please read this again; this time with an open mind instead of just dismissing anyone with a contrary view as a "hater"

Hurricane, as usual, great insight. Your method is much better then mine. I do admit a tendency to hit people over the head with my opinions instead of taking the time to put together well thought out posts such as yours. Tip of the cap.

x 1; Vak, Rossel, others, please read this again; this time with an open mind instead of just dismissing anyone with a contrary view as a "hater"

Hurricane, as usual, great insight. Your method is much better them mine. I do admit a tendency to hit people over the head with my opinions instead of taking the time to put together well thought out posts such as yours. Tip of the cap.

Tiger, I read Hurricane's post. So what? His version of events is imaginary not "insightful." But let's keep this going because it's entertaining observing how some people can twist reality to suit their emotional needs.

x 1; Vak, Rossel, others, please read this again; this time with an open mind instead of just dismissing anyone with a contrary view as a "hater"

I don't think you properly understand. Anything that could be construed as in any way negative about Iowa Wrestling coaches, wrestlers, or fans is entirely uncalled for any only said because you are a hateful, spitefilled person and you probably wet the bed. And does not deserve to be talked about.

On the other hand, anything remotely positive, including just acting like you'd expect any normal adult human being to act is to be commended and should be brought to light as much as possible.

For example, in this case:

McDonough throws his medal in the trash: HOW COULD YOU JUDGE THIS KID?!?!?! YOU AIN'T FROM WHERE HE'S FROM!!!! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IS WRONG EXCEPT FOR THE HARD NOSE COMPETITOR THAT IS THE IOWA WRESTLER!!! WE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE TALKING ABOUT THIS NON-EVENT!!

McDonough shakes a guy's hand: OMG THIS IS AWESOME HE IS SO CLASSY! I LOVE THIS GUY! LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT HOW AWESOME THIS GUY IS!

I don't think you properly understand. Anything that could be construed as in any way negative about Iowa Wrestling coaches, wrestlers, or fans is entirely uncalled for any only said because you are a hateful, spitefilled person and you probably wet the bed. And does not deserve to be talked about.

On the other hand, anything remotely positive, including just acting like you'd expect any normal adult human being to act is to be commended and should be brought to light as much as possible.

For example, in this case:

McDonough throws his medal in the trash: HOW COULD YOU JUDGE THIS KID?!?!?! YOU AIN'T FROM WHERE HE'S FROM!!!! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IS WRONG EXCEPT FOR THE HARD NOSE COMPETITOR THAT IS THE IOWA WRESTLER!!! WE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE TALKING ABOUT THIS NON-EVENT!!

McDonough shakes a guy's hand: OMG THIS IS AWESOME HE IS SO CLASSY! I LOVE THIS GUY! LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT HOW AWESOME THIS GUY IS!

As opposed to (also from this case):

McDonough throws his medal in the trash: WHAT A CLASSLESS MORON! OH MY GOD, HE REALLY IS ANOTHER IOWA MORON! HE DESERVED TO LOSE! WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!

McDonough shakes guys hand: EVERYBODY DOES THIS! I REFUSE TO GIVE FURTHER EXAMPLES! ALSO, THIS IS ACTUALLY JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HIS CLASSLESSNESS, SINCE HE'S CLEARLY DOING IT TO DO IMAGE CONTROL EVEN THOUGH HE HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT ANY NEWSPAPER REPORTERS WERE WATCHING HIM IN THE HALLWAY OR THAT, IF THEY WERE, THEY WOULD PRINT IT!

Yeah, that second one is totally legit.

So essentially what we have established is McDonough would have been better off not congratulating and wishing Nico good luck but instead just ignoring him? Would that have made most of you happy?

I think its great that he shook the guy's hand and exchanged some kind words. My point was that I find it really hypocritical how anything positive is totally blown up but anything negative leads to personal attacks against whoever brought it up. I have nothing against McDonough, I do however think a lot of the Iowa posters on this board are exactly the stereotypical "Iowa Fan" that everybody else in the wrestling world hates.

And just like Iowa fans acting like jackasses in Carver are the main reason there is a lot of ill will towards the Iowa program, Iowa fans here aren't doing their wrestlers any favors.

Thats what these boards are though. Just mainly people overreacting or underreacting to everything. Should McDonough be throw in jail for his actions absolutely not. Should be be given a prize for what he did congratulating Nico of course not.

My hope is that someday McD will be as awesome as his critics. Most of which, I am sure, know what it is like to be number 1 and carry that target throughout his career.

It isn't overdone, it was a classy move. Iowa encourages the "barrier" between opponents that most programs could care less about. The "us v. The world" mentality that sustained their program for so long. Time to change the tune though, give respect and get to work.

My hope is that someday McD will be as awesome as his critics. Most of which, I am sure, know what it is like to be number 1 and carry that target throughout his career.

It isn't overdone, it was a classy move. Iowa encourages the "barrier" between opponents that most programs could care less about. The "us v. The world" mentality that sustained their program for so long. Time to change the tune though, give respect and get to work.[/quote

+1

I think its great that he shook the guy's hand and exchanged some kind words. My point was that I find it really hypocritical how anything positive is totally blown up but anything negative leads to personal attacks against whoever brought it up. I have nothing against McDonough, I do however think a lot of the Iowa posters on this board are exactly the stereotypical "Iowa Fan" that everybody else in the wrestling world hates.

And just like Iowa fans acting like jackasses in Carver are the main reason there is a lot of ill will towards the Iowa program, Iowa fans here aren't doing their wrestlers any favors.

Amen Brother.

McDonough is a hard-nosed kid who accomplished a lot, and is deserving of respect. No doubt about that.

But this thread is ridiculous. All the article says is that he went over and shook hands with a competitor and said "good luck." That's it. Its nice and all, but hardly newsworthy, and hardly worthy of a thread saying how "classy" he is. Handshakes like that took place hundreds if not thousands of times that weekend. Its about as unremarkable as it gets.

If some of you feel bad about how his career ended and feel emotionally compelled to say something nice about him to ease the blow, how about praising his win percentage, his dual meet record, his 2 NCAA crowns, his 3 final appearances, his work ethic. But come on, you sound like complete idiots praising him for a shaking a kid's hand and saying the words "Good luck."

Did he personally apologize to those he disrespected on the podium and the officials of the tournament?

I'm doing that googling thing on the internets and I can't find that article.

I could care less if he could care less what he thinks. He's done. Time for the new kids on the block...

he doesnt have to apoligize to anyone...but im sure u know how it is at what ever top ten d1 program u start for