Sign in to follow this  
maccky

Travis Lee vs Logan Stieber

I am at it again but looking at styles would a past champion like Travis Lee at 133 be able to stop Logan Stieber at 133. Interesting styles match up ?

Lee was a beast, but...

I'd pick Stieber 9 times out of 10. His positioning is just amazing.

Travis has a way of surpising you. I remember when the Michican strangler and Travis wrestled at the High School senior nationals and Travis beat him and Nick was 211-0 199 pins in High School .

We quickly forget how good some past wrestlers were, Travis Lee was one of the toughest guys in the last two decades. In any weight class. Steiber is a terrific wrestler and while I am not an Iowa fan he received some grace in this years final, as well as lost last years final in any person's eyes who knows the rules of wrestling. I also think Travis had tougher opponents, the closest he came to ever being "handled" were losses of 5-3 (Zachary Roberson) and 10-8 (Johnny Thompson). Most losses came in the true freshman year, so no redshirt for Travis Either. What happened to Mr.Steiber his true freshman year? No knock on Steiber, as I said I like his style. But we shouldn't forget just how good some of these guys were. If this hypothetical match up we're to take place, I personally would pick Lee. If Steiber pulled it off it would be very,very close...a two point margin at MOST. It would be an absolute barn burner!!

We quickly forget how good some past wrestlers were, Travis Lee was one of the toughest guys in the last two decades. In any weight class. Steiber is a terrific wrestler and while I am not an Iowa fan he received some grace in this years final, as well as lost last years final in any person's eyes who knows the rules of wrestling. I also think Travis had tougher opponents, the closest he came to ever being "handled" were losses of 5-3 (Zachary Roberson) and 10-8 (Johnny Thompson). Most losses came in the true freshman year, so no redshirt for Travis Either. What happened to Mr.Steiber his true freshman year? No knock on Steiber, as I said I like his style. But we shouldn't forget just how good some of these guys were. If this hypothetical match up we're to take place, I personally would pick Lee. If Steiber pulled it off it would be very,very close...a two point margin at MOST. It would be an absolute barn burner!!

It seems like you are even more quickly forgetting how good Logan Stieber is (right now). Also consider the fact he is a 2-time NCAA champion as a sophmore - he has 2 full years left.

No knock on Lee - he was an absolute monster. But he would be an underdog in this match - up.

During his true freshman year, Logan was 5-0 then broke his hand during the live match and lost the last 3 matches (all at Las Vegas tourney). He promptly redshirted so his surgurical repaired hand can recover. It took about 4-5 months to recover. It was a bad injury.

Stieber. Great technician plus too much horse power.

There is no way Stieber would've outhorsed Lee. Lee was about the same size as Stieber by the time he settled into 133, weighing a little under 150 in between weigh-ins when he was competing in freestyle. I've seen both in person quite a bit, and they have similar builds with particularly strong-looking necks and forearms.

I would pick Stieber only by the slightest of margins. It would be very close, closer than Stieber-Ramos. I'd give Stieber 3 matches to 2 in a 5-match series.

Their main differences are:

Stieber is more complete. He is significantly better on top than Travis and has a more varied repertoire from the feet, being able to score both with and without tie-ups, from a distance as well as from up close. Travis usually scored from a tie-up, and most frequently an underhook. I'd call them even from bottom.

Stieber has better defense. He is so tough to get in on and once there, very tough to finish.

I believe Lee was a better pure athlete, specifically, quicker and a little more powerful from the feet. I think Johnny Thompson in March was one of the strongest 133 lbers since the new weigh-in rules and Lee matched up well with him in the strength department. Another stud at the weight, Matt Valenti from Penn, was also very powerful and strong, and I believe Lee's edge over Valenti, which was slight, was mainly one of superior athleticism.

Lee never seemed to get tired. He was one of the best-conditioned wrestlers of the past 15 or so years.

Good post.

There is no question Lee had much stiffer competition. Zach Roberson, Johnny Thompson, Matt Valenti, Shawn Bunch, Chris Fleeger. 133 was one of if not the most competitive weight during Lee's 133 years.

I'm guessing that both Shawn Bunch AND Reese Humphrey have gotten far better since College. And Logan usually gets them from what I have heard and seen on video. So Logan is competing with a better Shawn Bunch than Lee was.

How can you pick, without favoritism? So I pick Logan. His run towards world-level achievement is already better than Lee's.

And even IF you think Jordan Oliver got the last takedown (which I don't)...then why does no one mention Logan's takedown of Oliver that wasn't called in the first. It was a takedown as he was behind Oliver and Jordan's hands were both on the mat. So two blown calls cancel out. Either way, Oliver went up two weights fro many reasons, I'm guessing he respects Logan plenty.

I'm guessing that both Shawn Bunch AND Reese Humphrey have gotten far better since College. And Logan usually gets them from what I have heard and seen on video. So Logan is competing with a better Shawn Bunch than Lee was.

How can you pick, without favoritism? So I pick Logan. His run towards world-level achievement is already better than Lee's.

And even IF you think Jordan Oliver got the last takedown (which I don't)...then why does no one mention Logan's takedown of Oliver that wasn't called in the first. It was a takedown as he was behind Oliver and Jordan's hands were both on the mat. So two blown calls cancel out. Either way, Oliver went up two weights fro many reasons, I'm guessing he respects Logan plenty.

Are you suggesting Oliver went up 2 weights because of Stieber?

I know it was freestyle, but Stieber absolutely destroyed Valenti, teching him in both periods. He dominated him not only on his feet but from top as well.

Thats pretty cool, i'd like to see that video if there is one.

How do people see a Ramos vs Travis Lee match playing out? Obviously Lee is a favorite but with Ramos being so close to Steiber in a few matches (OT, 1 point, etc) he probably would only lose by the same margins by which he has lost to Logan.

Stieber was also born in January of 1991, meaning he's a 22 year old sophomore, the age Travis Lee was when he graduated. FWIW...