Jump to content
NJDan

Last Chancers with a Chance

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

I could see SVN taking 2nd or 3rd here, given that they wrestle back to true 2nd. 

He absolutely wrecked Saunders, and Saunders lost to Kolodzik 8-7. 

Well that prediction didn't age to well.  I am impressed by SVN just showing up.  He did well against two respectable senior level guys in Fausz & Zacherl.  Henderson made him look like a senior in HS which is not bad as that is what he is.  The loss to Saunders just reminds us how unpredictable FS can be.  McKee got teched by Clark and then returned the favor on the same day.  Van Ness will be fine but you might want to give him a chance to finish HS and let him develop a bit before giving him PSU's starting spot @ 149.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NJDan said:

and he was also the greatest recruit of all time. Glad he's back.

I think the better description would be the greatest 8th grade wrestler of all time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He wasn't the #1 recruit his year? Who was?

Kyle Snyder was in the same class and ranked higher than Chance heading into their senior year after Snyder won Junior Worlds. 

 

I also believe Mark Hall was a much more anticipated prospect than Chance. Hall had very convincing wins over Marsteller, Myles Martin, and Anthony Valencia among others while he was still in high school. Hall also had a cadet + junior world title before he stepped on a college mat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NJDan said:

He wasn't the #1 recruit his year? Who was?

Even if he was the #1 recruit that year that did not make him the greatest recruit is of all time. There is a #1 recruit every year. 

If I recall correctly, he was beating nationally ranked PA champs when he was in 8th grade. Does anyone else come close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gantry said:

Wrestled for American, didn't compete this season due to whatever weird situation was happening over there.  Was there ever any clarity about what happened at AU?

Believe he's in the portal now

He is in the portal, but I do think he was originally entered at EIWA’s but then ruled out due to covid reasons 

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

Kyle Snyder was in the same class and ranked higher than Chance heading into their senior year after Snyder won Junior Worlds. 

 

I also believe Mark Hall was a much more anticipated prospect than Chance. Hall had very convincing wins over Marsteller, Myles Martin, and Anthony Valencia among others while he was still in high school. Hall also had a cadet + junior world title before he stepped on a college mat. 

Just so you know, I was not being literal.  But he was a MONSTER recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

And what about Chance? He looked solid vs Vincenzo... and Vincenzo look really good... 

 

I think Marsteller has a dark horse shot. He definitely seems to be at his best right now so who knows. 

 

He alluded to, in an interview afterwards, that he recently had gotten into some trouble and Kolat has kind of got him moving in the right direction. Im happy to hear even though his struggles have not stopped he has been able to continue moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Le duke said:

I could see SVN taking 2nd or 3rd here, given that they wrestle back to true 2nd. 

He absolutely wrecked Saunders, and Saunders lost to Kolodzik 8-7. 

Saunders returned the favor.   I was simply shocked at how Henderson handled him as well.  Kid is a stud.  Seems like Freestyle results are a bit dangerous to create firm opinions with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He is in the portal, but I do think he was originally entered at EIWA’s but then ruled out due to covid reasons 

OK thanks, but the whole American season was weird - their head coach left right when the season started then they didn't compete all year until EIWAs IIRC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jbai3_12 said:

Amos gets it done for true second, Qualifying Greco and Freestyle!

That is pretty amazing.  OK, how the hell will he make this work.  Greco and Freestyle are both on same day.  How the heck is he going to accomplish this?  What if he has matches at same time or very close to same time?  Will event organizers aim to have his matches spaced?  Too many matches -- seems like he should pick one and focus on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nom said:

That is pretty amazing.  OK, how the hell will he make this work.  Greco and Freestyle are both on same day.  How the heck is he going to accomplish this?  What if he has matches at same time or very close to same time?  Will event organizers aim to have his matches spaced?  Too many matches -- seems like he should pick one and focus on it.

I feel like there are a few people who have done this with different age groups at UWW age group Nationals/Trials and they do very little to accommodate the situation publicly. A few years back McD wrestled two weights at the same tourney in France but they were back to back days.

 

Quick edit: didn't Coon do this?

Edited by wrestlingphish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I feel like there are a few people who have done this with different age groups at UWW age group Nationals/Trials and they do very little to accommodate the situation publicly. A few years back McD wrestled two weights at the same tourney in France but they were back to back days.

 

Quick edit: didn't Coon do this?

I think he did but for Worlds ... and they tournament for greco and FS was on different days.  I vaguely remember he had to travel between them but I might be mixing things  up.  Someone else will provide clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, found this in a flo article regarding Coon

Coon is one of the rare athletes who have won international medals in both Greco-Roman and men’s freestyle. He was a 2018 World silver medalist in Greco-Roman at 130 kg, competing in his first Senior World Championships. He qualified for the Senior Worlds by winning the 2018 Greco-Roman World Team Trials in Tulsa. The next day, he was second in men’s freestyle at the 2018 Final X at Lehigh, giving him the No. 2 spot on the U.S. Freestyle National Team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gantry said:

OK thanks, but the whole American season was weird - their head coach left right when the season started then they didn't compete all year until EIWAs IIRC. 

And then only 3 guys showed up to wrestle - They did not enter some of their best wrestlers - Clarke 149, Harvey 184 & Camacho hvywt - I was wondering if the training situation was just so messed up they didn't think they were prepared to compete.  It was a shame because I thought Clarke had a good shot at winning this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoNotQuietly said:

One of the most impressive internationally: Daniel Robin. 1968 Mexico City Olympics Silver Medal in Greco-Roman and Silver Medal in Freestyle at 78kgs.

Wonder how Karelin would have done in freestyle.

Wilfried Dietrich (Germ) won multiple world and Olympic medals in both FS and Greco from 1956 to 1969 including Golds in 1960 Olympics and 1961 Worlds.  Of course he then hit the most famous throw ever in wrestling at the 1972 Olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...