Sign in to follow this  
toprankwrestling

USC WRESTLING WRAPS UP FIRST SEASON EVER!

USC WRESTLING WRAPS UP FIRST SEASON

By aubrey kragen · Daily Trojan

For a USC wrestling team that did not exist a year ago, the 2013 season has been full of milestones.

To begin the season, the Trojans were officially recognized by the National Collegiate Wrestling Association, allowing them to compete at the National Junior College Athletic Association, NCAA, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and National Collegiate Wrestling Association levels.

Practice makes perfect · The USC wrestling team was only able to practice twice a week as per Recreation Club Council restrictions. – Photo courtesy of USC wrestling

Read Entire Article at:

toprankwrestling.com

Only able to practice twice a week? That sucks. Everywhere else I've ever seen for club teams the limitation is basically "practice as much as you want/have the time for" with the only restrictions coming from availability of mats/practice fields/courts/whatever. For lots of club athletes that means only practicing 1-2 times a week, but it is weird that students with the desire to practice more are not allowed.

Nice to see another school taking a positive step. Maybe somewhere down the line this could lead to USC having a D-1 team.

Nice to see another potential D1 program. I know they are just a club sport at the university but I see quite a bit of potential for them to become something more. California is a hotbed for wrestling talent. Do this thing the right way, get good coaching, an administration and athletic department behind your program and the skys the limit. I hate USC (mainly because of their football program) but I wish them the best and hope they become a wrestling power someday. When you love wrestling..how could you not want to see them succeed.

Nice to see another potential D1 program. I know they are just a club sport at the university but I see quite a bit of potential for them to become something more. California is a hotbed for wrestling talent. Do this thing the right way, get good coaching, an administration and athletic department behind your program and the skys the limit. I hate USC (mainly because of their football program) but I wish them the best and hope they become a wrestling power someday. When you love wrestling..how could you not want to see them succeed.

I hate being a pessimist, but I highly, highly doubt that we'll ever see anyone in a USC singlet at the NCAA tournament. I imagine the situation is a lot like the University of Texas. When I did some freelance work for a guy on sabbatical at thewrestlingmall.com, I did an article on the club program in Texas. Interviewing the starter of the program William Dogget, and the Athletic Director of the University, it was made very clear to me that a varsity program at the University was almost 100% NOT going to happen. The A.D. in a rather round about way made it clear to me that wrestling didn't provide necessities for the school, and therefore felt no need to add it as a varsity sport. Moneymaker schools like USC have no interest in anything that doesn't have dollar signs attached. Unfortunately in that part of the country, wrestling doesn't bring in the $$'s like it does at Iowa and Penn State. That's all they look at and that's all they care about.

Larry Scott, PAC-12 Commish needs to nude on Pat Hadden $C AD to take their program big time in the next few years. We need another S. Cal team now that Fullerton dropped.

Plus more chance for content on fledgling P-12 Networks.

Personally speaking, would love another So. Cal conference tournament!

If Burroughs REALLY wants to build his own program, he could go there. He'd have a virtual monopoly on all the California guys who either go across the country or stop wrestling altogether. They'd be an elite program in 5-8 years of his arrival. Being in the Pac 12 is also a good thing.

Folks, please. It's all good to have unreasonable hopes, but there are levels of unreasonableness. You are talking about U$C, a school that is only outranked in their level of self importance and entitlement by Nuter Dame and Texa$. They have never wrestled, even when every other PAC 8/10 school did. There is a far higher likelihood that a Cali JC becomes 4 year, climbs to D1, and wins a championship before U$C starts a team (and they wouldn't even then).

Folks, please. It's all good to have unreasonable hopes, but there are levels of unreasonableness. You are talking about U$C, a school that is only outranked in their level of self importance and entitlement by Nuter Dame and Texa$. They have never wrestled, even when every other PAC 8/10 school did. There is a far higher likelihood that a Cali JC becomes 4 year, climbs to D1, and wins a championship before U$C starts a team (and they wouldn't even then).

As a side note, Washington State has a club as well, 45 some guys this year. HOWEVER, just like the UW, over the years they removed anything remotely left behind for wrestling. No room, 2nd hand mats, the kids coach themselves .... :|

As a side note, Washington State has a club as well, 45 some guys this year. HOWEVER, just like the UW, over the years they removed anything remotely left behind for wrestling. No room, 2nd hand mats, the kids coach themselves .... :|

As I understand it NCWA Div 2 , which is the club level, has to start without a coach. This insures the program is instated in the 1st place.(ie: student initiated) They must then take careful steps to keep moving up division and not get cut. Grand Canyon University did this in AZ(started out in NCWA) and is now going through NCAA D1 process. It's all in the NCWA best practices handbook. A copy here.

I have spoken to Jim Guinta, the exec director of the organization, who has help create this plan. If followed, almost insures a future wrestling program. Jim, is very creative and has quietly helped grow wrestling in college, while other colleges are cutting the programs.

150+ programs, I think he is on to something.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't slamming the efforts of those involved in these startups. My point is the decision about what sports are sponsored at most D1's (especially the football AQ schools) is political and money motivated, at levels that students rarely (if ever) have any ability to influence. Running a full fledge varsity program at UT or USC or ND is a choice by the leadership. Sure it costs money, and some schools may legitimately have difficulty affording it. But those schools? Please! And the schools that have turned down multi million dollar offers? I would absolutely love to be wrong about USC, but show me anything that has or is likely to change what has been the AD and administrations position throughout their entire history.

Jim's doing a great job, but when we get a couple D1 AQ's to start, or restore a program then a corner is beginning to be turned. Until then were just filling a niche with a different set of requirements and goals. That's a good thing, but it isn't helping stabilize D1, let alone grow it.

It is great to see a positive story about college wrestling in California but I'd be shocked if any Pac12 school added wrestling especially USC.

However, a school like USC adding wrestling is what CA wrestling and wrestling as a whole needs. A big name university adding it for the national level and for CA a school adding it that has money and isn't dependent on the UC or CSU budgets. USC draws nationally and could quickly build a quality DI program.

Of course, the same could be said for most of the UCs and bigger CSUs and none of them want to make the commitment.

It is great to see a positive story about college wrestling in California but I'd be shocked if any Pac12 school added wrestling especially USC.

However, a school like USC adding wrestling is what CA wrestling and wrestling as a whole needs. A big name university adding it for the national level and for CA a school adding it that has money and isn't dependent on the UC or CSU budgets. USC draws nationally and could quickly build a quality DI program.

Of course, the same could be said for most of the UCs and bigger CSUs and none of them want to make the commitment.

2 schools, who' teams never should have been cut, and were fiscally viable, were UW Huskies and U of Oregon. Both schools have spent 100's of Millions on football facilities. (to date 350M for the Huskies stadium renovation.)

However ... I just don't see them ever, turning it around and bringing the sport back.