Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Rule change for edge of mat (not pushout)

Instead of a strict pushout rule what about a danger rule for the edge of the mat.  If a wrestler has a foot/knee/leg touching outside of the circle for more than a 3 count it is an automatic stall call.  Rule doesn't apply if both wrestlers have a leg/foot outside the circle though.

This prevents wrestlers from standing halfway off the mat in hopes of avoiding a takedown.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Decouple stall calls from edge of mat rules.

Why?  It's stalling to constantly wrestle at the edge of the mat.

Or just make it an automatic 1 point for a danger 3 count at the edge of the mat.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

13 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is not stalling to wrestle and go entirely or nearly out of bounds in the process.

If both guys are wrestling and go out the rule is not triggered.  It would only capture instances where 1 wrestler is totally in bounds and the other has a foot/knee out of bounds for at least 3 seconds.

Example -- watch Hidlay from 0:50 to 1:00.  He spends almost 10 consecutive seconds with a foot out of bounds while Brooks is totally inbounds.

1:25 to 1:55 Hidlay spends almost 30 consecutive seconds with 1 or both feet out of bounds while Brooks is totally in bounds.  I didn't go through the whole video but just there in the 1st period Hidlay spends almost a full minute standing partially or fully out of bounds while Brooks is inside the circle.

8:00 to 8:20 -- another 20 seconds straight where Hidlay is out of bounds while Brooks is in bounds. 

9:05 to 9:20 -- another 15 seconds with Hidlay OOB

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If both guys are wrestling and go out the rule is not triggered.  It would only capture instances where 1 wrestler is totally in bounds and the other has a foot/knee out of bounds for at least 3 seconds.

Example -- watch Hidlay from 0:50 to 1:00.  He spends almost 10 consecutive seconds with a foot out of bounds while Brooks is totally inbounds.

1:25 to 1:55 Hidlay spends almost 30 consecutive seconds with 1 or both feet out of bounds while Brooks is totally in bounds.  I didn't go through the whole video but just there in the 1st period Hidlay spends almost a full minute standing partially or fully out of bounds while Brooks is inside the circle.

8:00 to 8:20 -- another 20 seconds straight where Hidlay is out of bounds while Brooks is in bounds. 

9:05 to 9:20 -- another 15 seconds with Hidlay OOB

Hmm...maybe that's why Hidlay didn't get the call when Brooks appeared to flee and grabbed the mat

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Instead of a strict pushout rule what about a danger rule for the edge of the mat.  If a wrestler has a foot/knee/leg touching outside of the circle for more than a 3 count it is an automatic stall call.  Rule doesn't apply if both wrestlers have a leg/foot outside the circle though.

This prevents wrestlers from standing halfway off the mat in hopes of avoiding a takedown.

Thoughts?

Big concern. I step out for 2 count, back in, back out again for two count....

Kind of sounds like another stalling situation people are finding as a problem. 

Step out is clean, simple, and results in the athletes making not just efforts, but a focus on controlling center of the mat, no games that can be plaid, cut and dry you can’t step off. This has all been proven. If any change, add in the step out. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Big concern. I step out for 2 count, back in, back out again for two count....

Kind of sounds like another stalling situation people are finding as a problem. 

Step out is clean, simple, and results in the athletes making not just efforts, but a focus on controlling center of the mat, no games that can be plaid, cut and dry you can’t step off. This has all been proven. If any change, add in the step out. 

Another problem is a 3 count can go by really quickly.  It could be unduly stressful. With the 5 count, the top guy has time to settle in and wait casually for a count of 4 before releasing the leg and moving above the waist.

I would constantly circle my opponent out of bounds if I started on top, my opponent got to his feet and was fighting hands while separating his hips.  

I am in favor of a push out if taking away riding time is part of the deal.  I can’t believe wrestlers are winning matches 1-0 because they rode their opponent in the second, chose neutral in the third and aren’t trying to score.  Sure, they shoot, but just to get an ankle and scramble-stalemate taking 20-30 seconds off the clock.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:04 AM, Cptafw164 said:

I would constantly circle my opponent out of bounds if I started on top, my opponent got to his feet and was fighting hands while separating his hips.  

I am in favor of a push out if taking away riding time is part of the deal.  I can’t believe wrestlers are winning matches 1-0 because they rode their opponent in the second, chose neutral in the third and aren’t trying to score.  Sure, they shoot, but just to get an ankle and scramble-stalemate taking 20-30 seconds off the clock.

this 100%...

nothing more obnoxious to hear someone complain about a passivity with...

but, but, but... this guy shot!!!!

"shots" are used as stall tactics all the time...

On 3/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Allow the inbound scoring sequence to continue out-of-bounds... Nowhere to run... awesome to watch in other styles...

1 hour ago, jross said:

Allow the inbound scoring sequence to continue out-of-bounds... Nowhere to run... awesome to watch in other styles...

I like it, but kids will be flying across the floor, into the bleachers, etc. I still like it.