jchapman

Better Career, Wick or Bull?

Better Career to Date: Wick or Bull?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had a better wrestling career to date?

• Evan Wick
    • Alex Marinelli

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

The last freestyle tournament they both entered was 2017 Junior WTT. Wick lost in the semis to Hayden Hidlay 9-4 then Hidlay lost to Marinelli 6-0 for the right to get beat by Mark Hall. Marinelli beat the other Wick, McFadden, and Hidlay in that tournament.

Marinelli also outplaced him at Junior Nationals that year.

So Wick has outplaced Marinelli in two of the 9ish tournaments they have wrestled in together post high school and is 1-4 against him. Better NCAA performances? Absolutely. Better overall career? Ehhhhh.

Results from the Junior WTT four years ago are stale.  Wick won 2020 U23 Nationals, placed 4th in 2020 Senior Nationals, and is qualified for the Olympic Trials.  Marinelli has not wrestled freestyle in 2020-21.  

Wick didn't wrestle at 2021 NCAA's because he is taking an Olympic redshirt.  Read the original post.

You can keep making empty arguments about why Marinelli has had a better career, but almost 80% of the board agrees with me, not you.  Maybe if Marinelli can add another 6th or 7th place finish at NCAA's next year he can change some of the board's mind lol.

9 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Results from the Junior WTT four years ago are stale.  Wick won 2020 U23 Nationals, placed 4th in 2020 Senior Nationals, and is qualified for the Olympic Trials.  Marinelli has not wrestled freestyle in 2020-21.  

Wick didn't wrestle at 2021 NCAA's because he is taking an Olympic redshirt.  Read the original post.

You can keep making empty arguments about why Marinelli has had a better career, but almost 80% of the board agrees with me, not you.  Maybe if Marinelli can add another 6th or 7th place finish at NCAA's next year he can change some of the board's mind lol.

You inferred that Wick was clearly better at freestyle because he qualified for the Olympic Trials and Marinelli did not. If that is the case, why does that same logic not hold for folk style. You tried to discredit Marinelli for something that clearly was not his ultimate goal. Marinelli won Big Tens and Wick did not therefore Marinelli is clearly a better folkstyler this season.

Also, LOL at you bringing up a U23 national title in 2020. Go look at that bracket and keep that weak **** out of here. While you are in FloArena take a look at Wick’s senior nationals performance and bracket. It’s really not that impressive. 

As noted earlier, Wick loses on career record, loses the H2H battle, has only outplaced Marinelli twice (losing to the exact same wrestlers in one of those tournaments), 0 Midlands titles (because Marinelli won them), and 0 Big Ten titles (because Marinelli won them). 

Better NCAAs? Definitely. Better career? No.

Edited by wrestlingphish

12 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Then you're probably 1 of the 4 that voted for him.  And you probably think Marinelli had a better career than 0x Big Ten Champ, 3x NCAA Finalist, and 2x NCAA Champ Vincenzo Joseph lol.

Wrong. If you read what I wrote, I said that even making the NCAA final once would have matter. Also, the reason Joseph was never a big ten champ is that he ran into a fantastic wrestler nicknamed the Bull. 

Finally, best wins also matter when assessing careers. And I don't know Wick's career that well, but isn't his best win beating Marianelli?

16 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Wrong. If you read what I wrote, I said that even making the NCAA final once would have matter. Also, the reason Joseph was never a big ten champ is that he ran into a fantastic wrestler nicknamed the Bull. 

Finally, best wins also matter when assessing careers. And I don't know Wick's career that well, but isn't his best win beating Marianelli?

Just going off my memory, I believe he stuck Marstellar and had multiple wins over Logan Massa.

6 hours ago, dman115 said:

You would rather win a B1G title than place 3rd at the NCAA's??  Hmmm??

Anyway, I am torn on this as I like them both and think they are great talents.

Yes. I would rather have 2 or 3 big ten titles, head to head over ncaa placement of 3, and victory over cenzo. 

In my book multiple big 10 titles trump ncaa placement unless ncaa placement is 1 or 2.  Funky stuff happens in consolation bracket.  That is why I think big differences between 1 compared to 3. 

I am not Hawkeye fan or Penn St fan so I am unbiased on this.  I have noticed this board seems to take shots at the bull and when he fails it seems certain posters can't contain their joy.  I can see why you would root against Desanto; but the bull seems like a good guy. Not that DeSanto isn't a good guy. But he is immature.

9 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

For those who use the word "choke," be advised Twitter will suspend your account for using that word in this context, claiming it is a threat of physical harm or harassment. Despite the naive beliefs of many, we are living in 1984.

Phew... good thing we are having this discussion not on Twitter 

I have to go with Marinelli if their careers were to end as they stand now.  The 3 Big ten titles put him in a rare category and outweigh Wick's higher placement in two NCAA tournaments.  Add to that Alex's head to head advantage over Wick and his wins over ViJo and he is the obvious choice.  Hopefully neither one is done with their college careers and I wiswh them both the best of luck in deciding this matter definitively next year.

I too hope they both are back next year and lock horns again.  Sure hope Marinelli can stay healthy and for once truly show he doesn't just peak for the BIG's, but for the NCAA's as well...he sure seems like a nice kid.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Yet only one of them is qualified for the Olympic Trials, and it's not AM.

How can you say that when AM has focused mostly on folk/collegiate style since he stepped onto the Iowa campus?  What are his freestyle accomplishments?

Because it's all about styles transitioning to Freestyle.  Marinelli's style transitions much better, and Wick won't just get to choose to be on top of Marinelli in Freestyle.  It's also been pointed out the last freestyle tournament they both entered, but I don't place as much weight on that given the time discrepancy.  And I saw nothing in the HWC match up Marinelli wrestled against James Green to tell me I'm wrong about it.  Who is Wick's best senior freestyle win?  Just a quick review, so maybe I missed something, is it Deakin?

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Because it's all about styles transitioning to Freestyle.  Marinelli's style transitions much better, and Wick won't just get to choose to be on top of Marinelli in Freestyle.  It's also been pointed out the last freestyle tournament they both entered, but I don't place as much weight on that given the time discrepancy.  And I saw nothing in the HWC match up Marinelli wrestled against James Green to tell me I'm wrong about it.  Who is Wick's best senior freestyle win?  Just a quick review, so maybe I missed something, is it Deakin?

Wick just got seeded higher than Cenzo for the Trials.  He would be seeded higher than Marinelli too, had he qualified.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:28 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Wick won the one time it mattered.  Almost 90% of the people here say Wick.

so wick was a gamer, but not the better wrestler?

also, what is popular (you said 90%) is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.

but i have to say, based on the accolades... wick had the better career.

Objectively I guess there is no real comparison: Wick had a significantly better career than Marinelli. Finished higher at NCAAs every year, which outweighs B1G titles or head to head matches as far as I'm concerned. 

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Why do you think Marinelli's style translates better to FS? I don't think Marinelli's grinding, conservative offense will translate well to FS. Maybe if he was a super stud like Dake, but he's nowhere near Dake's level. 

On 3/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, shieldofpistis said:

I am not Hawkeye fan or Penn St fan so I am unbiased on this.  I have noticed this board seems to take shots at the bull and when he fails it seems certain posters can't contain their joy.  I can see why you would root against Desanto; but the bull seems like a good guy. Not that DeSanto isn't a good guy. But he is immature.

The Bull seems like a decent guy and I like watching him wrestle. My opinion of him would plummet though if I found he withdrew from NCAAs because of "a broken heart", which has been alleged, rather than a legit injury. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt on that until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

The Bull seems like a decent guy and I like watching him wrestle. My opinion of him would plummet though if I found he withdrew from NCAAs because of "a broken heart", which has been alleged, rather than a legit injury. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt on that until proven otherwise. 

The Bull's ribs seem to be doing fine in this video

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Why do you think Marinelli's style translates better to FS? I don't think Marinelli's grinding, conservative offense will translate well to FS. Maybe if he was a super stud like Dake, but he's nowhere near Dake's level. 

He has much more neutral offense then you're giving him credit for, plus he's a clean finisher, which will be accentuated by guys not being able to funk around and/or Marinelli being allowed to just push guys out once he gets a single, plus his neutral defense does not leave him exposed to free style points.  I agree he's not the most dynamic guy, I don't see him like challenging Dake/Burroughs type of guys, but he'll be in there with the next level below that (as in competitive with IMart/Nolf, although I would not pick Marinelli to beat them much either).  I see him as a second/third tier type Freestyler, whereas Wick is third/fourth tier.

48 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He has much more neutral offense then you're giving him credit for, plus he's a clean finisher, which will be accentuated by guys not being able to funk around and/or Marinelli being allowed to just push guys out once he gets a single, plus his neutral defense does not leave him exposed to free style points.  I agree he's not the most dynamic guy, I don't see him like challenging Dake/Burroughs type of guys, but he'll be in there with the next level below that (as in competitive with IMart/Nolf, although I would not pick Marinelli to beat them much either).  I see him as a second/third tier type Freestyler, whereas Wick is third/fourth tier.

Which tier do you see Cenzo?